All Bran Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Brunojack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: All Bran Recipe

Post by Brunojack »

Currently waiting for my 3rd all bran wash to clear before stripping and then spirit run.
Pretty happy with my first 2 runs. One in a pot still and the 2nd in CM refluxer.
Is there any benefit to removing some of the fore shots during the stripping run? Seems like you would have less to deal with in the spirit run.

Also do folks use baking soda in the spirit run?

Payman- initially the yeast need and use O2 to get started doing their work. Just like when you ferment wort to make beer.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

There is no harm in taking some fores on a strip as long as you do it slooowly. Saves a bit of time when you do the spirit run imo.
Baking soda should only ever be used in low wines
....never in wash
Brunojack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brunojack »

Copy that. Thanks
hacksawbob
Novice

Post by hacksawbob »

On my second batch of this, (I'm a noob) I tried cornflakes on the last run but didn't have the same success as this, not bad just not as good. 1st batch was using turbo (I know) but it came out OK. I think that was because I didn't stress the yeast with too high a gravity 1080 from memory, it made some very drinkable product. I am using some Lalvin 1118 this time so it will be interesting to compare the two. Just pitched my yeast at about 20C.

I noticed that Tesco do there own variety of all bran and it is higher in all the vitamins than Kellog's All bran which has been repackaged in a smaller box and is about a 1/3 more expensive! It has not been available in stores recently presumably while they change over to the new packaging. The seriously tiny slender box looks like it holds the same amount when you see it on the shelf but it is really thin! The Tesco stuff is 3.9g fat per 100g but hey ho I'll run with it. At the risk of thread creep What I think Kellog's have done is reduce the quantity AND quality of their product but maintained the premium price. Any one else noticed this?

Scores on the doors are: 12L Water + 10Kg sugar + 1 box of 750g Tesco All Bran simmered sugar for 40mins with all bran being added last 10. just let it sit on the top with a little stirring as I was getting close to the brim on the 22L boiler. Crash cooled with a copper chiller worm from my beer brewing days. Added to some backset (6L 3rd gen) I ended up with about 60 Litres of 1080 after watering it down. Pitched 4 Packets of rehydrated 1118 yeast which is a bit over pitching to be honest but I'd rather it was too much than too little :)

Looking forward to seeing how this yeast performs as the Allinson's bakers stuff took too long in my mind (about 10 days from start to finish)
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Hi HS Bob

I've used the generic Aldi brand with no problems. Although I had the odd crash but that's more to do with my super soft water, so the Tesco one should be fine. Regarding the Allison's baker's it does need to kept at around 28°c if you want it to work faster.

Your overpitching is fine I use a lot more.

Lee
Brunojack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brunojack »

Wow. 3rd go round with Rads recipe. Couldn’t be happier with it. Stripped it and refluxed it twice. Sure did come out smooth! Used a bit less All Bran this time around and everything was great. Really think the key is to let it fall clear in the fermenter before charging the boiler. Not much All Bran odor this time!
My go to recipe for neutral.

Thank you Rad!
hacksawbob
Novice

Post by hacksawbob »

OK just to report back cos I hate it when people say they will and don't! The EC118 was a slow but steady fermenter and got me down below 1000. I have been returning backwash to fermenter at about 5% and then using it as a gin base, does that make this sour gin? :) I refluxed this with my V2 setup with rudimentary coolant management and it has come out pretty neutral on white dog evaluation.

Next ferment I took the hot back wash and added 1KG of sugar then next day pitched a full container of youngs wine yeast and about half a container of nutrient. Added it to the original lees of the EC1118 ferment once it had got going for three days. Day two and the gas production through the air lock looks very promising!
bastardbrewer
Bootlegger

Post by bastardbrewer »

Nice one!

So where I live (middle east) I couldnt find all-bran or something similar (yet) so I compared to what I could find and multigrain cheerios came closest (at 5 dollar per pack :-(). Upped the amount a bit for the negative difference in nutrients to all-bran, and can say the result is great! I had only done around 10 washes of Birdwatcher before, for me the cereal wash gives a far cleaner and most importantly less sweet product.

Cheers,
Bjorn
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've recently used wheat bran, DAP, lemon juice and Vegemite (boiled yeast is just as good) and no other added nutrients. Poured boiling water over the bran before adding it. It seemed to be a bit slower than Birdwatchers so I put an aquarium air pump in the headspace to agitate it by pumping CO2 to the bottom of the fermenter and that got it working much faster, finishing in six days.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

25 gallon of this working itself out anxious to taste results
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

so this wash clears up good i need another phone to post pics the wheat smell is something very special this smells better than uj to me but im still partial to grain mashing i just hope this wheat carries into the spirit run
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

For me, the all bran distills very clean, with minimal heads or tails. And the hearts cut is extremely neutral. But then again, I strip with a potstill and finish with my reflux column, with “neutral” as my objective. I don’t get the “solventy” heads typical in other sugar wash recipes.

But, the way I distill it, I don’t get much, if any, of the grain flavors in the finished spirit. YMMV.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

i know what ya mean about the head smell ihave a half gallon that didnt make the cut on my last ujspirit run after a few day aring out it still was stinky like nail polishy im hoping to take this one deep into tails to see what if any goodness is lurking down there
MadKaw
Novice

Post by MadKaw »

rad14701 wrote: Wed May 06, 2009 12:42 pm
punkin wrote:Cosidering it's allbran, you could call it a 'regular spirit'..... :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
If you drink too much of it you really don't care what it's called... :shock:
yes...lol
Blackbeard
Novice

Post by Blackbeard »

Read a bunch of replies and didn't see it so thought to share my experience with this recipe. I used a pack of all bran and two cans 454g of golden syrup and bakers yeast. The yield was good and it smells great. Oaked it for a few months in light toasted French oak chips. Simple and tasty.
PoorBoyJack
Novice

Post by PoorBoyJack »

Hey all.

I’m a noob to distilling - did plenty of beer in my day. Anyways been reading this thread and have my first wash down with the ingredients that came with the kit (T500 Boiler with copper condenser”

This first batch is using all the turbo stuff (yeah I know). I’ve spent enough time making beer to know the convenient quick and dirty way makes pretty ordinary product- hence why I’m looking to get some good ideas.

Anyways, was wondering why you guys bother to invert the sugar? Surely dissolved dextrose would do the same thing yeah? Or am I missing something??

I’m also off to read about stripping and heads and tails etc.

I’ve got lots to learn. 😎

Cheers
J
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

A lot don't invert sugar and see it as more trouble than its worth for the little extra gain I think.
Dextrose isn't worth the extra cost. Here it is 3 times the price of sugar and gives little to no benefit over sugar.
I can buy sugar for 90c per KG .....dextrose starts at $3.95 a KG....buying 25Kg at a time I can get sugar cheaper than 90c per KG.......25 KG of dextrose still turns out at over $2 a KG.
Don't know how the cost comparisons turn out in other countries.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I like to invert the sugar for my pot still.
I wouldn't even think of dextrose because of the cost.
And it mixes fully into the water with no effort at all, unlike sugar.
I put a fair bit of the water in the fermenter, cold, so as not to add the HOT invert sugar into the plastic (whatever) fermenter.
Let the invert sugar cool enough to be safe to carry and add it to the water.
Then adjust the temperature with the remaining water.
It saves having to add a LOT of hot water...

Just my preference. Cheaper than dextrose and less effort than sugar.

Geoff
The Baker
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

I can get both cane sugar and dextrose for about $0.50 a pound. I am using dextrose right now for sweetfeed washes as reportedly it has less "bite" for sugarhead washes. However, I think when I am done with the 100lbs I bought, I may go back to granulated sugar as the dextrose gets all over when you scoop/poor it. It is as fine as flour but lighter so it floats all over the place even when you are trying to be careful. On a positive note, it mixes up in water very easily and at a much lower temp. I guess I will have to wait and see how the sweetfeed hooch turns out as I'm stripping my third batch this weekend. If I find the time, I will make the spirit run this weekend as well. If it is remarkably better than I may put up with the extra mess from the dextrose.
PoorBoyJack
Novice

Post by PoorBoyJack »

Thanks guys.

Dextrose for where I am is about the same price as sugar. There is about 6 bucks difference when bought in 25kg bags.

Awesome, So I will be racking out this batch tomorrow, and will throw down a All Bran - I love to experiment. :D

Cheers
J
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Do yourself a favor and reflux the all bran if you can it'll make a good neutral. I learned that the hard way although I have a gallon of double pot stilled all bran still.
PoorBoyJack
Novice

Post by PoorBoyJack »

Thanks Durhommer!

I will be doing that for sure. As soon as I get this one out of the fermenter, I will be laying down an All Bran wash. I am going today to grab the All Bran and yeast etc. Should be fun!! :D And I only have a Reflux, so that is all I can use. ;)
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Well have fun and stay safe whatever you do
Just 4 Fun
Novice

Post by Just 4 Fun »

Have done many different ferments and to be honest this is my “go to” recipe aside from the fact that I use raisin bran instead of all bran, only because I tried raisin bran vs all bran and with the raisins it fermented faster and tasted better in my opinion.

But then again that’s just me and you’re results may very well be different than mine.

Even used it to make sanitizer for the wife lol.

Just my 2cents on this one.

J4F
Just because it's called a liver doesn't mean it lives forever.
PoorBoyJack
Novice

Post by PoorBoyJack »

Thanks J4F.

I will keep you all posted on what I find.

So question....

On the All Bran - Do you guys still run it through a Carbon filter when it's done? Do you use any clearing agents like Turbo Clear etc? Of none of the above?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

None of the above, with good cuts it shouldn't need it. Few if any here use clearing agents , they are just not necessary. Unwanted solids will drop to the bottom of ferments once they are finished.
If you havn't already read and understood this you will need to. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11640
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

PoorBoyJack wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:55 pm Thanks J4F.

I will keep you all posted on what I find.

So question....

On the All Bran - Do you guys still run it through a Carbon filter when it's done? Do you use any clearing agents like Turbo Clear etc? Of none of the above?

I personally never have. Though I have a spare fridge to cold crash for a few days and always end up with a nice tight cake at the bottom of my bucket.

I think you'll find that if you get 3 fermentation buckets into rotation you'll have an easy time with something working off, something clearing, and something ready to run.

I'd say don't waste your money on clearing agents. Imo, the use of clearing agents is a tell tail sign of impatience.

As far as finished spirits go,, I like the wheaty notes so no filtering for me.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

I have a stupid question.
I don't do packaged cereal mashes because IN MY OPINION it's so much more expensive than a 50 pound bag of corn or wheat for less than $10.00

But I do look through most threads because I can always learn something.

That said, of course I've had bran cereal and bran muffins. But I just didn't know exactly what grain "bran" is.
So I googled and while there is oat bran too, I assume everyone is referring to wheat bran.

I also searched Tractor Supply for Bran and saw this.
Rice Bran.png
and wondered if anyone was familiar with it.

It lists ingredients as:

Stabilized rice bran and calcium carbonate

It's twice as expensive as wheat at $24.00 for a 40 pound bag, but just curious if anyone has played with it.
PoorBoyJack
Novice

Post by PoorBoyJack »

Thanks lads,

I very much appreciate all the advice. I have a mate with a T500 and from what I have read on this forum in a week, he has been doing wrong for the last 3 years! LOL!

So.... As I sit here I have my first batch running now. took the first 150mm. Sat that aside. That will be glass cleaner! LOL!

Then I have been cutting into cleaned and sterilised stubbies - so about 300mm per bottle. I can already taste the difference. I have it sitting at a purring 52 degrees right now. Nice and slow.

Tastes the first 150mm with my pinky so I know what crap tastes like! LOL! I can already taste a difference between the first stubby and the third.

This is more fun than I thought it would be. :D
PoorBoyJack
Novice

Post by PoorBoyJack »

OK - Sorry to go off topic on my last post...

So now I am looking at my fermenter, and it has a 16L All Bran wash in it. I am hoping I did things right! I simply followed the first post on this thread, and I guess I will know if and when the airlock starts pumping.

I am not 100% on how to read the starting gravity etc, but when I popped my Hydro in she sat at about 50 at 30 deg.

EDIT - So looking at my Hydro again, and then allowing for temp, I am looking at somewhere near 13-15%.

AND - less than 15 minutes later, the airlock is hammering!! LOL!

Fingers crossed!!