All Bran Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

hairysteve
Novice

Re: All Bran Recipe

Post by hairysteve »

i attempted this - well sort of I went looking in the local shops for cereal items to use
I didnt exactly folow the recipe the site was down when I wanted to make up the wash
I tried
4 kilos sugar
20 litres tap water or thereabouts
4 cups of home brand crushed non processed bran flakes(comes in 500 gram packs from Safeway a supermarket chain in Australia for less then $2.00)
fresh baking yeast
also since the site was down I added and I didnt read the recipe properly I inverted the sugar with a bit of lemon juice, and added some epsom salts
I didnt boil the cereal i just chucked it on top and areated it a bit with a blender. This looked like it was working well and I left it overnight, went to work came back still looked like it was working then did an overnight trip away from home and came back and it looked like it had stalled.
I didnt get a sugar reading at this stage, i just chucked another couiple of cups of bran flakes in and it seemed to restart. It was still sweetish - it tasted allright actually and I was thinking of drinking it as it was. After a few more days it stalled again so I threw the rest of the packet of bran flakes in along with a multivitamin tablet and it fully finished a few days later.
I let it settle a week or so and ran it through my pure distilling still (which is playing up a bit).
It hasnt aged yet but it seems to be fairly neutral with a slight grainy taste which is good.

Anyone in Australia know of any food grade plant foods - the 20 - 20 - 20 plant food??? is miracle grow available here and the same as in the states??
I will try it again but will follow the recipe this time.
So it works even if you dont follow the recipe exactly :)
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

hairysteve wrote:So it works even if you dont follow the recipe exactly
Great thing about fermenting.

Sorry to hear that you had to fiddle so much.

Usually 3 to 5 days its dry. Rack for a day or two to clear and your off to the races.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
hairysteve
Novice

Post by hairysteve »

no need to be sorry about my own lack of ability to read instructions :)
And if if didnt work what the heck it cost less then $7 probably to do the wash so if it stuffed up it didnt matter.
So I refluxed stilled mine and it tastes a little grain like (hopefully coming out at 92%) whats it taste like if you pot still it?
sort of whisky ish??? .....
Thanks
Stephen
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

hairysteve, can you find a link to the bran flakes you mentioned...??? Your recipe proportions weren't out of line, even without the extra bran flakes added... I've never done an All Bran wash without boiling the cereal so I can't comment on whether that may be an issue... Not sure whether the "bit of lemon juice and some epsom salt" may have caused problems depending on actual amounts used, causing a low pH issue...

As I've stated, my washes finish and clear in less than 4 days, and are not anywhere near sweet... I think you added more bran flakes than needed and mistook the new activity as fermentation when it was more likely just CO2 activity caused by the nucleation points on the cereal itself, plus any CO2 release caused by the stirring... Had you boiled the cereal and added it in liquid form I'm guessing that you wouldn't have seen as much reaction... You definitely had enough bran flakes in there to make the finished wash sweet...

Before attempting to source fertilizer I'd just try the same recipe with boiled cereal, a small amount of boiled yeast, and then pitch plenty of yeast at about 95F/35C... The large initial yeast colony is what makes for the rapid ferment and they thrive on the boiled yeast... A rapid start is where it's at... I could never wait 12 - 24 hours for a ferment to start... I'm too impatient for that...

Yes, pot stilling gives a faux wheat whiskey flavor... I don't run in full pot still mode and still get plenty of flavor carrying over...
Midnight Rider
Novice

Post by Midnight Rider »

? will the regular all brain work just as good as the flakes since ur going to cook them any way got them buy mistake instead of the flakes.
Damifiknow But i got 1 more silver dollar
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Midnight Rider wrote:? will the regular all brain work just as good as the flakes since ur going to cook them any way got them buy mistake instead of the flakes.
All Bran Buds...??? They should work pretty mcuh the same as All Bran Flakes... They are a bit lower in overall nutritional value, but not too bad... The amount can probably be lowered for buds based on serving size... You might be able to get by with 1/2 cup per gallon... Experiment and report your findings...
Orange79
Novice

Post by Orange79 »

Is it necessary to add lemon juice or citric acid to fully invert the sugar? Also I've read on other postings that 1.25 pints of inverted sugar should be used for each pound of sugar that is called for in a given recipe. Is there any truth to that?
I haven't tried this recipe yet but it's at the top of my list. Does it have more of a wheat flavor than the Gerber washes?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Orange79 wrote:Is it necessary to add lemon juice or citric acid to fully invert the sugar? Also I've read on other postings that 1.25 pints of inverted sugar should be used for each pound of sugar that is called for in a given recipe. Is there any truth to that?
I haven't tried this recipe yet but it's at the top of my list. Does it have more of a wheat flavor than the Gerber washes?
No citric needed to invert most sugars, just water...

That invert sugar reference is for cooking, not for distillation...

This recipe gives more wheat flavor, and overall flavor, than Gerber...
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

To invert sugar requires either heat or acid, usually both are used, plus a little time (not long if both heat and acid are present, maybe 15-20 minutes).

I do not invert sugar any more. It is extra work, and the results I am getting from non-invert are fine for me. Main benefit of invert sugar is probably in making neutral.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
FLquacker
Novice

Post by FLquacker »

Ran an "all bran" the other night.....it was my 7th run.

Best flavor yet of the sugar washes I've been doing.....maybe I'm getting better :wink:
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

FLquacker wrote:Best flavor yet of the sugar washes I've been doing.....maybe I'm getting better
+1

I feel like a broken record. But This is a dern good sugar wash.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
hairysteve
Novice

Post by hairysteve »

rad14701 wrote:hairysteve, can you find a link to the bran flakes you mentioned...??? Your recipe proportions weren't out of line, even without the extra bran flakes added... I've never done an All Bran wash without boiling the cereal so I can't comment on whether that may be an issue... Not sure whether the "bit of lemon juice and some epsom salt" may have caused problems depending on actual amounts used, causing a low pH issue...
Hi there Rad14701
The wash finished just fine and was very bitter by the time I ran it, I guess it just took longer then normal because I didn't boil it.
I went down to the store today and what I used is called Woolworths Home Brand " Natural Bran Unprocessed" for about $1.60 for 500 grams. On the back it says contents - wheat bran, and is a loose flaky material.
When it was about halfway done when I thought it had stalled it tasted a bit like draught cider (at that stage I had a few ciders so maybe i wasn't tasting too clearly :) )
With the additions of epsom salts and lemon juice I am used to making birdwatchers sugar washes so I used the juice of 1 lemon and a pinch of epsom salts.
There was an inch or more of sediment at the bottom of the fermenter, mostly bran but thats ok it should be good to add to other ferments after its been boiled
Next time I will follow the recipe though I like how this one turned out it seems to be one of the best neutrals/low flavoured spirits I have made. Also for the next time I found some "Coles Smart buy oats bran" 500 grams for about $1.50 so I am curious of what the different grains will taste like (through a reflux still).
Maybe I should go make my own thread and stay out of this one since i did it differnt to your recipe :oops:
Thanks for the help guys
Stephen
EDIT
I am also using a totally different cereal product sorry again about posting in this thread.
Sorry for any confusion caused
The stuff I am using should really be cooked up and converted usinbg emzynes or something - must go ow starting work :(
Last edited by hairysteve on Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I checked the Woolworth's site the other day and couldn't find a listing... I did find straight wheat bran on my local Wegman's site, however, and I think it's essentially the same as what you are using... It should have about enough nutrients, especially with the amount you used... I might give some a try to see how it compares to Bran Flakes cereal...

Glad to hear that you had a successful run and like the resulting spirits...
braemar
Novice

Post by braemar »

Hi Rad,
I only joined the forum around 2 weeks ago, i have done around 6 brews using turbo yeast all worked ok. i have been following your all bran recipe and decided to give it a go, it is in the closing stages of fermenting (i think). I hope you dont mind if i paste my log of what i have done so you or others can advise me.
I dont have a reliable hydrometer so any sg readings may not be correct.
I used Kellogs original ALL-BRAN it is not a flake (it looks like a small twig or stick), anyhow i ground it in a coffee grinder before adding water and heat.

15/10/2009 all bran mash
6kg white sugar simmered 15 min in 6 lts water + juice of 1 lemon
2.5 cups ground all bran (consistency of instant coffee), simmered 10 min
make up to 26 lts with cold water
at 36 deg pitch 12 tps bakers yeast

*5.20 pm 15/10/2009 pitched yeast sg 1.07
*6.30 pm 15/10/2009 airlock flatout
* temp holding at 28 deg (ambient temp 22 deg)
*8 am 16/10/ 2009 blurps @ 1/sec. Wash temp 28 deg
*5 pm 16/10/2009 blurps @ 45 / min, Wash temp 26 deg (much lighter in colour)
*.8pm 17/10/2009 blurps @ 38 / min. Wash temp. 26 deg
*going to Sydney back 18/10 pm.
*6 pm 18/10/2009 blurps @ 30/min Wash temp. 28 deg (heater on setting 1 while away)
*10 am 19/10/2009 blurps @ 24/min Wash temp. 28 deg (heat on 2 o/night, 1 in daytime)
*7 pm 19/10/2009 blurps @ 20/min Wash temp. 28 deg ( “ “ )
*10 am 20/10/2009 blurps @ 20/min. Wash temp. 28 deg. ( “ “ )
*6 pm 20/10/2009 blurps @ 16/min Wash temp. 28 deg.
*6am 21/10/2009 blurps @ 13/min Wash temp. 26 deg sg 1.00
*6 pm 21/10/2009 blurps @ 10/min Wash temp. 26 deg
*10 am 22/10/2009 blurps @ 9/min Wash temp. 28 deg

It is now 2.30 pm 22/10/2009 and the wash is blurping at 8 per min.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

regards
Braemar
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

braemar, it sounds like the ferment is coming along nicely... I'd wait until fermentation is complete, after the bubbling stops, and let it clear for at least a day or so before distilling... The wash should taste dry without any hint of sweetness... It sounds like you used enough cereal considering how fine you ground it prior to measuring volume...

I'm assuming that 12 tps is teaspoons, not tablespoons... With bakers yeast I usually pitch 1 - 2 tablespoons per gallon... I also add some boiled yeast and 20-20-20 as mentioned in previous posts... Those additions help kick start the ferment and help it complete faster...

I wouldn't be surprised if the wash was ready to distill sometime this weekend, but if you need to wait longer so be it...

Good luck...
braemar
Novice

Post by braemar »

Hi Rad,
Thanks for the advise.
I worked out that 2 tablespoons for 1 gallon equals around 12 tablespoons for 26 litres which is just under 6 gallons is this right or have i put in to much yeast?
I was planning to distill this in the middle of next week so it sounds like it will be ready by then.
I will add yeast to the cereal when i boil it next batch to kick start it.
Would it be much better if i used brewers yeast instead of bakers yeast?
Regards
Braemar
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

braemar, 12 tablespoons was good... The confusion was the ambiguous abbreviation for tablespoons (tps) rather than (tbsp)...

The amount of boiled yeast per gallon doesn't need to be very great as it seems that a little goes a long ways... I've been able to back the amount down quite a bit and adding too much makes for a very large head of foam, with or without kraeusen... I've gone a far as boiling half as much yeast as I was pitching but I thik that's overkill...

I've never tried brewers yeast so maybe someone else can chime in on its use... I haven't even used wine yeast in decades...

It sounds like the wash will be ready to run by next week at the rate it's going...
braemar
Novice

Post by braemar »

Thanks Rad
Sorry about the typo.
Giving me a keyboard is like giving a machine gun to a monkey.
Regs
Braemar
Photonic
Novice

Post by Photonic »

Watching this wash over the last couple of days has been quite theraputic.

First, all the little bits of bran rose to the top, then little rainbow bubbles formed on top of that, then the bran turned white piece by piece and then dropped to the bottom of the jar leaving behind a yellow/green liquid.

I can't wait to see what happens next.

It smells very drinkable already!
myerfire
Swill Maker

Post by myerfire »

Rad, I need a little clarification on the type of bran. I was in Safeway this morning and they have bran in bulk. It is in a bin and ground rather fine, not to a powder, but not flakes either. It has been ground a little finer than grains for making beer. Is this what you are useing?
myerfire
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

myerfire wrote:Rad, I need a little clarification on the type of bran. I was in Safeway this morning and they have bran in bulk. It is in a bin and ground rather fine, not to a powder, but not flakes either. It has been ground a little finer than grains for making beer. Is this what you are useing?
myerfire
I use the actual breakfast cereal bran flakes, All Bran or Total... My regional grocery store also has a store brand that is identical to All Bran... They are chock full of vitamins and minerals...

I know the bran you are describing but haven't tried it yet... I can get it boxed, in the baking section, or in bulk... The only downside to it is that it isn't fortified with the vitamins and minerals...

Here's a brief explanation of how I choose what cereals I use... I surf the website of my regional grocery and pull up likely candidates to see what they have fore nutrients... I enter all of the data into a spreadsheet, adjusting all serving sizes to be the same, usually 1/4 cup, for accurate comparison purposes... I add up the percentages and then store the total as a decimal number instead of a percentage... The higher the number, the more nutrients by volume... I also track cost by volume for reference... The following is an example...
Very unscientific cereal nutrient comparison.
Very unscientific cereal nutrient comparison.
myerfire
Swill Maker

Post by myerfire »

Thanks Rad, I'll check out the breakfast cereal section in the grocery store for All Bran or Total or some other bran flakes.
myerfire
Photonic
Novice

Post by Photonic »

I ran a gallon trial of this recipe, using Bran Flakes but instead substituted baker's yeast for standard wine yeast (I have loads of it here)...

Rad, you sir are a genius.

I ran it through my airstill, threw the first 50-60ml into my foreshots (fuel) bottle and stopped collecting when the ABV hit 30%.
Straight of the still it tasted good with a lovely aftertaste.

I imagine that this will only need a little oaking and nothing too strongly charred to make a decent whiskyish drink.

I'm going to do a 25litre batch next and maybe cut the sugar with some powdered malt extract.

I realised that I am never going to economically make anything that approaches a decent neutral with my tiny pot still as I'd have to double-distill and then make drastic cuts to get the hearts, so I love this recipe as I wasn't hoping for anything like a neutral.

Thanks, and this recipe gets my vote for "Tried and True".
Last edited by Photonic on Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Thanks for that table, Rad.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Daantje
Novice

Post by Daantje »

Found this in the supermarket, would it be any good to use in stead of all bran?

Its 7 grain energt breakfast:

made from whole grains (87.6% wheat , 2% oats , 2% rice , 2% barley , 2% rye , 2% corn 2% millet)

per 100 grams:

12.4 g proteins
64.2 g carbo hydrates (0.9 g sugars)
2.1 g fat
13.4 g fibers
0.12 g Na
391 mg K
3.4 mg iron
0.8 mg Vitamine B1
0.1 mg Vitamine B2
0.3 mg B6
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

HookLine wrote:Thanks for that table, Rad.
I think the chart helps you get a visual on why some cereals perform better than others... While I can get run of the mill Corn Flakes at the bottom of the price range scale it only has about 17% of the nutrients that All Bran contains... And that means that you can play with the amount of cereal used either to enhance the flavor a bit more or to use the bare minimum amount to attain a full and timely ferment...

I just put down another small wash yesterday to use up some of the ingredients I had here... It's only a 6L wash with a 12.9% ABV potential... At the 24 hour mark the airlock is still bubbling away non-stop... I was hoping to get a new electric boiler built to run it through but it doesn't look like that'll transpire...

@Daantje

The amount of fat in that product sounds a bit high... You could always try it... I tend to go by the nutritional values to get a better idea of usable nutrients percentages by volume, but that's just me...

@Photonic

Glad you like the simplicity of this recipe... It provides a relatively effortless ferment once you have the airlock in place...
Daantje
Novice

Post by Daantje »

Even if the fat value is a bit high, I was interested because of the amount of wheat components.
I'm not that much interested in a quick nutritious ferments, but more in a easy way to carry over some of those wheat flavors in a whisky like end product. So I will give it a try and keep you guys posted how it turns out.

Daantje
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

rad14701 wrote:
HookLine wrote:Thanks for that table, Rad.
I think the chart helps you get a visual on why some cereals perform better than others.
Yes, obviously the specifics are going to vary depending on what brands are available in a given location. But it gives a general idea of what to look out for.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
scarecrow
Swill Maker

Post by scarecrow »

HookLine wrote:But it gives a general idea of what to look out for.
I generally look for anything that is high in protein (for the nitrogen). That's why I tried beans and legumes. They have the highest protein I know of. Generally around 20 -25%.
If you add a multivitamin and a vitamin B tablet you have a fairly potent mixture.

And the smell when you cook them up is nice too.

Most cereals have the vitamins and minerals added (by government regulations) and the protein comes from the grains they use.

scarecrow
FlyboyTR
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FlyboyTR »

Rad,
I have followed this thread since the beginning. I know that there have been many changes along the way. I have read that...."I tried this....I added this..." etc. Could I ask you to summize the (your) "final " recipe for the All Bran...sort of the best of the best? Thanks!

FlyboyTR :D
FlyboyTR
Lower Alabama