All Bran Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rad14701
retired

Re: All Bran Recipe

Post by rad14701 »

Run twice in pot still mode or once in reflux mode works for me... A bastard run with a combination of reflux, pot, and reflux, with only the hearts being pot stilled, also works well... Very flexible and forgiving, overall...
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Still fermenting nicely, and has quite a 'fruity' taste which seems odd, but it has a lot of fermenting to go yet which may alter the taste. Certainly an easy and basically foolproof wash. A nice beginners wash for sure. Looking forward to the final product.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
rumlover
Novice

Post by rumlover »

Just a little confused. When you say 2 cups sugar to a gallon, do you mean 2 cups plus a gallon of water or 2 cups then enough water to make one gallon ?
Or, does it matter?
AKA Pappy Dan

When I read about the evils of liquor, I quit reading (Paul Hornung)
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

rumlover wrote:Just a little confused. When you say 2 cups sugar to a gallon, do you mean 2 cups plus a gallon of water or 2 cups then enough water to make one gallon ?
Or, does it matter?
My measurements are total volume... Sugar plus enough water tom make a gallon... So 5 gallons would be the sugar plus enough water to fill a 5 gallon bucket... That is also how the sugar calculator is designed to work, as it calculates the volume of the sugar as well as the roughly calculated water volume...
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

blanikdog wrote:Well I did it today. I used the original Allbran stick type things and I have to report that it reminded me of the days we hosed down the milking shed, but didn't have the same odour. It sure as hell ferments well with DAP and Epsom salts. I'm sorta scared of fertilizer, besides it looks like a foaming, fertilizer wash. :)

blanik
Five days now and still fermenting, but has slowed considerably. Probably take four or five more daysto finish and settle. I'm looking forward to distilling this.

blanik
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)

Cumudgeon and loving it.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Sounds good, blanikdog... While your ferment is taking a bit longer than others it's probably due to one or more factors but not a problem... Temperature, nutrients, yeast, or other... Nothing wrong with a slower ferment if you have the patience...

Do you have a URL to that twig style bran so I can check the nutritional values by chance...??? It may require some tweaking of cereal or additional nutrient proportions...

It is currently Spring/Summer where you're located, isn't it...???
autotech
Novice

Post by autotech »

cornfused on recipe you state 4cup suger per gal of water is that 4 cup and one gal or 4 cup add water to make a gal,you state on pre reply that it is add suger to make up to gal
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

http://www2.kelloggs.com/Product/Produc ... roduct=551" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow should give you the info, Rad. It's called AllBran Original. Summer here and average temp is around 30c. Bloody hot in other words.

The slow ferment isn't a problem for me in fact I like a long ferment as it gives me time to do other stuff and if there's one thing this hobby has taught me, it's patience. :)

blanik

Cumudgeon and loving it.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

not that big a diferance--1lb suger toped to gal=7% or 2lb toped to gallion= 14%
1lb suger+ a gallon of water=6.6% or 2lbsuger +gallon water=13.2%
(dont be nitpicky the yeast arnt)
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

For all of my recipes the measurements are sugar + water topped to specified total volume... This will keep you inline with the sugar wash calculator on the parent site... Measure as sugar topped with water whether inverting the sugar or not...

4 cups sugar + 0.85 gallons water = 1 gallon @ 14.1% ABV potential with an SG of 1.092... This is the furthest I ever push bakers yeast... 3.5 cups per gallon = ~12.3% ABV... 3 cups per gallon = ~10.6% ABV...
autotech
Novice

Post by autotech »

appreciate the clarification rad, starting wash now, let you know how it goes :D
rumlover
Novice

Post by rumlover »

I've got my second batch of my rumsky variant of all bran running. First batch distilled very nicely.This time I used about 1 gal of backset to dissolve the sugar and 1 qt of dunder (5 gal fermenter). Both times the wash went apeshit for the first 30 hrs. then slowed quite a bit. My question is would giving the wash a stir once a day help to pick things up a bit??

BTW ...great recipe rad...Variations on this recipe are endless. Great for a dipshit such as myself
AKA Pappy Dan

rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

rumlover wrote:My question is would giving the wash a stir once a day help to pick things up a bit?
I doubt that stirring would be of much help much because the wash shouldn't need any additional oxygen after the anaerobic fermentation phase has started... You'd just be inviting potential infection...

Glad you're enjoying the recipe, even with modifications... It's a tough one to mess up...
jerf
Novice

Post by jerf »

by rad14701 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:57 pm
... I've been steering clear of rum washes due to the overwhelming smells they produce while fermenting in my small apartment...

Rad,

I've a solution that's works real nice for me. I've rigged up a second stage to my bubbler that I put about a tablespoon of activated charcoal sandwiched between paper towels. It absorbs any off odor in the air as it comes out of the bubbler. I'm sure something could also be rigged to do the same thing before the air goes into the bubbler. Something like a thick airline tube coming out of the fermenter and into a small jar with the activated charcoal, with the bubbler mounted to it.

Either way, thought I'd throw that out there. I had to develop something out of necessity. It's the only way my wife will let me bring my fermenter into the house in the cold months :)

Jerf
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

This is still fermenting, but has slowed considerably. Looks nice and creamy rather than the slush after hosing the milking shed. I reckon another couple of days to go. I'm in no hurry.

blanik

Cumudgeon and loving it.
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

jerf wrote:by rad14701 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:57 pm
... I've been steering clear of rum washes due to the overwhelming smells they produce while fermenting in my small apartment...Jerf
The rum (molasses) smells are overwhelming for 3 days then they quieten down. My house smells for 3 days when entering the front door then it's gone. If anyone asks what's the stink...I'm brewin Guiness Beer.

Somewhere in this forum I saw it. Fit a connection into the toilet outlet after the 'U'bend/trap; or for the quick'an'dirty just thread the hose into the bowl and thru the trap. Connect the waste gasses to said hose and they will be vented above the roofline. Be aware that your hose will have a clean end and a dirty end, and your hose better be blowing and never sucking!
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
rumlover
Novice

Post by rumlover »

Ayay wrote: The rum (molasses) smells are overwhelming for 3 days then they quieten down. My house smells for 3 days when entering the front door then it's gone. If anyone asks what's the stink...I'm brewin Guiness Beer
I read somewhere else on the forum to use mouthwash in the ferm lock instead of water.....after I read this I thought maybe Febreeze might even work better.

Be a shame to go out of the rum business :esad: :esad:
AKA Pappy Dan

ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

If you are looking to knock down odors, place White Vinegar in your airlock. You will see a very noticable reduction in general odor from ferments. White Vinegar seems to just soak up a lot of smells.
I would stay away from the Febreeze. The stuff isnt listed for human consumption. With the White Vinegar, if it starts to suck, the only thing it might do is kill your wash, but you can still run it. Could you imagine trying to get febreeze out of your still?

Eeek.
ScottishBoy
HD Survival in a Nutshell...
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
Daantje
Novice

Post by Daantje »

Daantje wrote:Found this in the supermarket, would it be any good to use in stead of all bran?

Its 7 grain energt breakfast:

made from whole grains (87.6% wheat , 2% oats , 2% rice , 2% barley , 2% rye , 2% corn 2% millet)

per 100 grams:

12.4 g proteins
64.2 g carbo hydrates (0.9 g sugars)
2.1 g fat
13.4 g fibers
0.12 g Na
391 mg K
3.4 mg iron
0.8 mg Vitamine B1
0.1 mg Vitamine B2
0.3 mg B6
I'm drinking it now, after a few weeks on oak (toasted). I like it, it had more flavour compared to a DWWG, and has less bite, a bit rounder, smoother. I can taste a little grain, which is nice.

All grain would be a next :)
rumlover
Novice

Post by rumlover »

ScottishBoy wrote:If you are looking to knock down odors, place White Vinegar in your airlock. You will see a very noticable reduction in general odor from ferments. White Vinegar seems to just soak up a lot of smells.
I would stay away from the Febreeze. The stuff isnt listed for human consumption. With the White Vinegar, if it starts to suck, the only thing it might do is kill your wash, but you can still run it. Could you imagine trying to get febreeze out of your still?

Eeek.
Oh, shit, I didn't think about a hiccup in the airlock....Is it possible to retract a stupid post? :oops: :oops: :oops:
AKA Pappy Dan

jerf
Novice

Post by jerf »

Give us a simple, easy to use, idiot can't screw this up recipe and we'll just produce a better idiot. Well I'm here to confess I must be that new and improved idiot because somehow I screwed this one up!

Read through this recipe and the posts on the topic the other day and I couldn't wait to try it out. This seems to way out perform the brown rice recipe I've been successfully using, it normally finished in 10-14 days. I knew I had an unused primary, so on my way home I stopped by the store and picked up some generic All-Bran cereal and sugar. Got home and started things cooking. I boiled 10 lb of sugar for 30min in a stock pot with 1 tsp of citric acid (I know the recipe doesn't call for it but I'm use to inverting my sugar that way.) Same time I have 3 cups of All Bran simmering in about a quart of water. After 30 minutes I add 2 tbsp of bakers yeast to the All Bran in bring it up to a boil for a couple minutes.

During the cooking process I get a yeast starter going, took half a cup of the water/All Bran mix while it is just warming up, and quarter cup of the sugar water mix, top them off with cold water until the temp is about 85F and pitch 2 tbsp baking and 2 tbsp distilling yeast. This yeast starter sold me on the recipe. I don't think I've ever had a more aggressive starter. Within a minute it was actively bubbling, had a cup in a 20oz container and had to stir down the foam every 5 minutes to prevent it from over foaming over.

Mixed the inverted sugar and cooked All Bran mix into my 5 gal primary, topped with cold water to 4 gal making a SG of 1.110 (I didn't take it up the full 5 gals because I was concerned about it foaming as bad as the yeast starter) Then added 1 tsp of 20-20-20. Since I did not add an extra gal of water the temp was only down to 110F, so I had to let is sit to cool. About the time when I just had to call it a night, it was down to 100F. I went a head and poured quarter of my yeast starter into the primary, for the chance that I had some temp tolerant strains in the mix that would survive, added the yeast stater along with another cup of the wash to a larger container. Covered starter and primary and called it a night.

In the morn my starter had settled down a good bit, went ahead and pitched it, and an hour later I could see activity before I left the house. That evening when I checked up on it, it was still active but nothing exciting. The SG read as 1.110 still, although I didn't make a temp adjustment for the first read which would have made the starting DG ~ 1.115. So I pitched another tbsp of baking and one of distilling yeast (This yeast mix works well for me.) Next evening (last night) SG is down to 1.100. Average temp is about 65F.

So there you have it, don't know exactly how I did it, but I mucked it up somehow :) Sad thing is, I've been fermenting for about 15 years now, distilling for about 3, you'd think I have a guess about what I'm doing. So any words or wisdom, something I've obviously missed, or just good old abuse?

Thanks
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

An SG of 1.115, or ~17.6% ABV, is a bit high... Add more water if possible to get the SG down closer to 1.080...

65F is a bit low for this recipe as it generally slows right down under 75F...

Another possible cause would be pH either too low or too high... pH of between 4 - 5 would be preferable...

You've pitched more than enough yeast at this point so if the wash isn't fermenting then one or more of the above might be to blame...
autotech
Novice

Post by autotech »

update 12/11/09,9:30 pm started all bran wash 20l 12/6/09 pitched yeasted@9:30 pm used 2 tsp of yeast energizer insted of 20-20-20,berw shop (dap,yeast hulls,magnesium sulphate,vitamin b complex).Whent like clock work,now 1 bubble every 10 sec.starting to clear s.g .987,12%. How long do you let it clear before it hits the boiler? or rack it for a bit and make more? Will strip in pot mode,then LM reflux.( keg boiler)
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

As a personal preference,I like to rack twice in the fridge to get the wash very clean.

But at that it only takes 2-3 days

Its a little easier to be patient when your drinkin stock is built up.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
jerf
Novice

Post by jerf »

An SG of 1.115, or ~17.6% ABV, is a bit high... Add more water if possible to get the SG down closer to 1.080...

65F is a bit low for this recipe as it generally slows right down under 75F...

Another possible cause would be pH either too low or too high... pH of between 4 - 5 would be preferable...

You've pitched more than enough yeast at this point so if the wash isn't fermenting then one or more of the above might be to blame...
That's Rad for the feedback. I added an additional half gallon of water, don't have room for more. I've come to realize that my hydrometer chart is not accurate. On my hydrometer it says that 1.115 is about 14%, and I've double checked it now against a SG chart in one of my wine making books, and the calculators on this site. I don't know how it managed to be put into production with a misprint, but there it is.

I have also brought the temp of the wash up to a steady 80F. Haven't checked the PH yet. It's moving now, 10-15 points SG a day, but not super charged like I was hoping for. I think I'm going to start another batch, 1 gallon this time, and make sure I get the results I want. Then I'll move back to the 5 gallon.

Thanks again for the feedback.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Running my first try at this today. A perfect new distillers recipe. Impossible (?) to stuff it up. I'll do another 25 litre wash later in the day using 25% backset and 1.3kg allbran added to the trub just to see how it goes.

blanik

Cumudgeon and loving it.
jerf
Novice

Post by jerf »

Update. I started another 1 gallon batch 4 days ago. Using the exact recipe as posted. This time starting SG was1.080. Finished completely out as of today, so 4 days at 65F. I am extremely impressed! It's nice to have a recipe that the total cost of ingredients for a 5-gallon batch is the same as the cost of pack of turbo.

Thanks Rad for sharing, I vote that it's time to move this one to the tried and true recipes :)
autotech
Novice

Post by autotech »

update: finished 25l wash and racked today, ( 7days @ 12%) same recipe as before, used yeast energizer instead of 20-20-20 ( 2TSP). making new 25l wash today using meijer all bran 1/2 box. will strip 1st wash tomorow. total cereal 1lb box a little costly,@ $4.29 box, 1lb 3 oz meijer brand all bran is $3.19. let you know how stripping run goes on first wash.
p.s. have some ec1118 packets left over from some wine runs (10packets),will it work in all bran ? and how many packet per 25l wash? or just try and see what happens,i was thinking 3 packets per 25l wash?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Shop around, autotech, because I can get generic All Bran for as little as $1.49 a box and it has the same nutritional value as name brand... Aldi's generic = $1.49... Wegman's generic = $1.99... A bit of shopping around could save you ~$3.00 per box...

Good luck with your distillation runs...
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

rad14701 wrote:Shop around, autotech, because I can get generic All Bran for as little as $1.49 a box and it has the same nutritional value as name brand... Aldi's generic = $1.49... Wegman's generic = $1.99... A bit of shopping around could save you ~$3.00 per box...

Good luck with your distillation runs...
Holy Shit!!! I paid $5.80 each for two boxes. :oops: :oops: :oops:

blanik

Cumudgeon and loving it.