My latest HBB

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

My latest HBB

Post by jon1163 »

So I'm finishing my spirit run of my first large batch of large batch honey bear bourbon.

I run a 15.5 gallon keg boiler and an 8 gallon keg Thumper with copper columns and two 120 volt heating elements. I stripped four batches of Honey Bear bourbon ferments putting the clear beer in my boiler and all the slop in my Thumper. I saved up about 10 gallons of 40% low wines.

This morning I poured the low wines into my boiler converted it to a pot still as shown below and began running.

I started out collecting at 78% ABV and I'm now into my tenth pint holding steady at 78. I'm running it right now at just under a stream. I'm getting three pints per hour or right at 1 pint every 20 minutes. At the end of the day I should have enough to fill my 5 gallon Balcones Barrel.

Any comments, critiques, or advice are welcome as always.
Attachments
20180223_103137-600x800.jpg
20180223_103237-600x800.jpg
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My latest HBB

Post by fizzix »

My man I've got no criticisms but let me be the first to say Congratulations!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

That's awesome and congrats! I just wanted to compare yield but I guess recently I did about three stripping runs out of my 13g still then the ~11g spirit run and got around 2.5 gallons of 130proof after cuts...

So in total somewhere close to 60-70# grain into 30-35g water stripped 3x then spirit ran down to 2.5g of 130pf.

Seeing similar?

Thx,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

Sounds similar to me. I was hoping to get close to 5 gallons of 120 pr out of this but I have no idea how the mash /cuts will work out. I'll update you guys later.
Twister67
Novice

Post by Twister67 »

Funny seeing this. I am actually just finishing up my 3rd stripping run from 50 Gallon was. Well didn't get 50 gallons out since I stopped at the grains. This is just a basic moonshine with corn and sugar. Anyway I don't think I ran fast enough although much faster then previously. (this is the first time using stripping runs.) So far I have about 8 gallons of 40%. Will be interesting to see the final yield.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

jon1163 wrote:Sounds similar to me. I was hoping to get close to 5 gallons of 120 pr out of this but I have no idea how the mash /cuts will work out. I'll update you guys later.
Just an FYI for comparison purposes: My last few HBB spirit cuts have been right at 45% of the total vol collected (and I run down fairly deep into the tails.) I recycle feints in my HBB, so w/o feints my cut would likely be a bit wider. Would love to know what kind of cut % you are taking. It's all personal preference, I know. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

When i was stripping :lol: spirit runs of 12g 40% low wines I would keep between 9.5 and 10 liters of 72% after cuts.

I've noticed a pattern in my notes. I typically end up with very close to the amount of aging proof liquor, as pure alcohol in the starting mash. 12g still charge of 10% abv, I normally end up with 1.2-1.3g after cuts and diluting to 62%.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

Well I finished. I have 36 jars ranging from 80 ABV down to 20. Actually seven of the jars are liter jars so technically I filled 43 pints.
Quick back-of-the-napkin math:

43pints%8=5.4 gallons

5.4 gallons x .4 = 2.16 gallons of hearts at roughly 70% (.4 or 40% being the rough estimate of hearts)
Attachments
20180223_232112-600x800.jpg
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Nice pic!

Next, cuts. Then comes the patience.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I’m thirsty now.

Good job.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

So after letting my jars air out for 24 hours I lined them all up and started making my cuts. I ended up keeping jars 11 through 31 of 43 jars total. The 10th jar had a distinct bite to it and while still kind of good I didn't like the bite. Jar 32 tasted like wet dog. For ease of description I've just counted my liter jars as 2 pint jars each.

Combining those jars that I kept and then diluting them to 120 proof with reverse osmosis water yielded me right at 3 gallons of distillate. I filled my Balcones barrel with a 3 gallons corked it up and set it away.

Cheers to everyone who's following this and if you have any questions let me know I'd be happy to share.
Attachments
20180224_230913-600x800.jpg
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Now is the really hard part- waiting!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

2-month-old Honey Bear Bourbon is sitting in a barrel in my basement feeding angels.
It's mocking me, knowing there's nothing I can do but wait. A few select friends are like that little devil sitting on a shoulder saying "Drink it! Drink it!"
The battle looms large, my friend. Wait 'em out.
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

fizzix wrote:2-month-old Honey Bear Bourbon is sitting in a barrel in my basement feeding angels.
It's mocking me, knowing there's nothing I can do but wait. A few select friends are like that little devil sitting on a shoulder saying "Drink it! Drink it!"
The battle looms large, my friend. Wait 'em out.
I did save a jar of the white... To compare... And in anticipation of those cravings.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Don't ya just love that barrel....!? I have one and am looking into maybe a few more.

I made an oak bung out of a sanded and charred dowel instead of using that silicone one they send ya.... just a thought.

Congrats and good luck! Now if that barrel only came with a lock.... :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."