MileHigh Dual purpose pro vs boka?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

IDPotatohead
Novice

MileHigh Dual purpose pro vs boka?

Post by IDPotatohead » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:51 pm

Hi. I've been pot stillin for a while making UJSSM. I'm ready to start making neutrals. I have built a monstrous 2" boka in the past and had great results. However I don't feel like building another one, especially with how tall my last one was and a PITA to store and run. Also after pricing out all the fittings and copper it seems like I might as well just buy one. Is anyone using the MH dual purpose pro? I'm looking at it wondering if I can reach azeotrope with it or if that's a long shot. Would I be sacrificing much if anything just buying the MH one as opposed to building another tall 2" boka? I could probably sell my home built pot still column to a friend for half the cost of this new reflux which says it can pot still too. My current one is a simple 2" riser with 45 degree Liebig condenser. Thoughts on using this for both? This is the exact one I'm looking at. Thanks
https://milehidistilling.com/product/2- ... pro-tower/

greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: MileHigh Dual purpose pro vs boka?

Post by greggn » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:35 pm

IDPotatohead wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:51 pm
Would I be sacrificing much if anything just buying the MH one as opposed to building another tall 2" boka?

Build a CCVM. Far easier to build and run than a boka.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn

IDPotatohead
Novice

Post by IDPotatohead » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:44 pm

I'm not even sure what that is. Do you have a link to the build plans? I don't see it on the main novice page.

Is it going to cost about the same as buying the MH one? Will it be better? I honestly don't feel like a project and would rather buy it completed, as long as I'm not sacrificing much doing so.

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:53 pm

There are plans if you search "CCVM build". I recently priced out everything to make one on Amazon less the copper coil for the reflux condenser for about $86. If you can coil 1/4 copper tubing around a couple of sleeves, you can make a coil pretty cheap. Or use one of the other methods in the build threads.
Mind you that $86 factors in that I already had one spool of 2" and most of the tri clamps.

Edit to add this link viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41579 DAD300 has a great thread.
Use all your senses, and its not that hard. You just have to pay attention.

IDPotatohead
Novice

Post by IDPotatohead » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:17 pm

Well I already have a long stick of 2" and 10' of 1/4" tubing.

I searching ccvm build and see a lot of talk and cool end products, but no actual plans like the boka has stickied.

So the concept is instead of slant plates and a needle valve you just use a 2" T below the coil condenser? I don't quite understand how it works the same. Not really looking forward to a project but I guess I'll check out what I need if I can find some solid plans.

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:31 pm

Yes you're correct. You adjust the height of the coil to manage the amount of reflux/off take. Read the thread I linked, then use the google search function for CCVM build. There's plenty to read, and plans as well.
Use all your senses, and its not that hard. You just have to pay attention.

Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:58 pm

Jesse from Still It on youtube has some videos about his ccvm that may help you understand the concept.

They can be pieced together with sanitary spools, same as that mile hi still.

There's no real build plans because it's just a column and a t. An extension above the t to keep the reflux condenser in. You slide the rc up and down to cover or uncover the side exit off the t, like a carb slide on bikes. Rc raised: exit wide open, lots of vapor can pass to the product condenser, low reflux. Rc down so it blocks the exit completely: vapor can't exit, so full reflux. Raise it slightly to get the reflux ratio you want.

You can also just cap the t to run in pot mode.

IDPotatohead
Novice

Post by IDPotatohead » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:45 am

Thanks for the replies. I watched a bunch of Jesses videos last night and and trying to put together some plans.