Gelatinous state for corn

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Gelatinous state for corn

Post by Corn Cracker »

I have not been getting my corn hot enough to get gelatinous, well, i did today. I was bringing it up to 155-160 and add my 6 row or enzymes. I made a bigger than usual 15g mash today, brought it up to 185 stirring constantly with an oar (that big stainless spoon wasn't cutting it) it got real thick.
What was this costing me in my final product, maybe more flavor, more starch to convert? I would always hit the s.g i was aiming for, somewhere around 1.075.

I mixed some oats in this mash as well as 2 gallons of backset and am planning on fermenting on the grain this time so, i won't be able to compare. My last run was straight corn, i like it better with 6 row
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Gelatinous state for corn

Post by seamusm53 »

Your previous low-temp process couldn't tell you after fermentation of available sugars and measurement of specific gravity how much sugar had still been hidden away as starch in the solids of the mash. But now having freed up the starch through the high heat gelatinization, it becomes accessible to the action of enzymes for break-down into simple sugars and food for the yeast to make ethanol. End result - a higher alcohol yield for a given starting specific gravity minus the final specific gravity. More product!!!
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

Dammit, wastin likker😆. Thanks for the verification of my thinkin. I'm excited to see what the oats bring to table. I'm looking for a sweeter tasting whisky, the 6 row brings some i have read that oats will too.
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

FYI, the oats brings “smoothness” of texture and softens the difference in flavors of the barley (bready toastiness) and corn (sweetness) flavors in the distillate. In a beer, the oats will add a “milky sweetness”, but in the distillate, it’s more of a “smoother” and “softening” tool. The oats will also add a little “mouth feel”, or body to your product.

If you’re using unmalted oats, however, it will bring a little bit of “grassy” flavor to your product. Not a bad flavor, just slightly “raw”. It will complement the corn and barley malt flavors in the product. But it will be much better when aged properly on toasted and slightly charred oak.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

Well, that sounds interesting, hopefully it's ready to go by Friday
Buck Owens