Increased yield from column?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Increased yield from column?

Post by NormandieStill »

I have collected nearly all the parts for building a CCVM. I will have a 1m 2" copper column, packed with wire mesh. My existing modular pot still setup provides the tee and an added sight glass under the tee and spool tube over the top will finish it off.

As of right now the coil is not coiled and the ferrules are yet to be soldered, and I'm two stripping runs away from running a batch of WPOSW.

And so here's the question (in many parts): Will running my low wines through the CCVM give me a higher yield (after dilution) or just a cleaner hearts cut? I understand that the two are related closely, but given fairly conservative cuts from a pot still spirit run, would I expect to see about the same quantity of hearts but with a cleaner taste, or the possibility of wider cuts as well giving a higher yield.

I'm asking because being as it's the school holidays, I can't very easily commit 6hrs+ to a reflux run before september and I would very much like to have a fresh stock of neutral for playing with some gin recipes and for macerations come the fruit season here. If a CCVM will yield 10% (for example) more neutral then it seems worth trying to carve out the time to finish the build and do the cleaning runs.

Otherwise I guess I can do a pot stilled spirit run and then rerun with the CCVM if the results are less-than-pleasing.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Re: Increased yield from column?

Post by CopperFiend »

You won't achieve neutral (or close to it) with a pot still so if you want neutral, you need to finish your CCVM. I strip in pot mode and then reflux spirit run for neutral.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Don’t waste your time doing a spirit run on the Pot still . Do that in the CCVM and you will end up with much more hearts in less overall time
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

OK then. Time to finish the build. :-)
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers