About foreshots

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stenfet
Novice

About foreshots

Post by Stenfet »

I have a couple of noobquestions that i havent found definitiv answer to. At least not that i understand
1: First if i cearfully bleed out the foreshot in a well balanced cm column
Do i still need to do it again if i redistill it ?
If so how can that be ?
2:i have a 2” cm still with scrubbers and some times spp.
Is it possible for me (and a good idea) to First take the foreshot and when thats Done simply turn of the refluxcoil and do the rest of the run in potstill mode with my column and packing still in place to get my lowvines ? Or is that yest a dumb idea all together ?
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: About foreshots

Post by EricTheRed »

not a dumb idea - but the amount is different depending on what you made!
As the first stuff coming over tastes bad in any case, i personally take 80 - 100ml per 20L charge on every distillation - save it in jars with used and dried teabags as firelighters
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

EricTheRed wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:24 am not a dumb idea - but the amount is different depending on what you made!
As the first stuff coming over tastes bad in any case, i personally take 80 - 100ml per 20L charge on every distillation - save it in jars with used and dried teabags as firelighters
I’ve never heard of using old teabags with the fore’s as a fire starter! I have used the Foreshots to kill weeds also to mix with cleaning ingredients to make windshield wiper cleaner (I believe I found the recipe on this site somewhere).
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Bushman
It works much better than the store bought stuff. Soaks into the wood quickly and lights with just one teabag!
:)
Stenfet
Novice

Post by Stenfet »

EricTheRed wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:24 am not a dumb idea - but the amount is different depending on what you made!
Thank you.
Good idea with the t-bags :D
I forgot to say it’s simple sugarwash for now.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Then there will be almost no foreshots - but take them anyway - good practice (and it tastes like sh!te)
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Stenfet wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:18 am 1: First if i cearfully bleed out the foreshot in a well balanced cm column
Do i still need to do it again if i redistill it ?
If so how can that be ?
Yes, because no matter how slow you go fores (and heads and tales) will never come out completely at one point in the run. It's always like a bell curve, just slower means a narrower, taller bell. You'll have a lot less to discard, but as others have said, you're probably dumping some heads anyway, so play it safe.

Do your best to compress it in and get a good smell of those fores to start to train your nose (don't taste those...) so you can learn what to look for, then you can start to make a better assessment of your spirit runs. I always get at least a little smell of fores no matter how carefully I take off in stripping runs.
Stenfet wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:18 am 2:i have a 2” cm still with scrubbers and some times spp.
Is it possible for me (and a good idea) to First take the foreshot and when thats Done simply turn of the refluxcoil and do the rest of the run in potstill mode with my column and packing still in place to get my lowvines ? Or is that yest a dumb idea all together ?
Yes, this is possible, if you search for 'detune reflux' you will probably find info from more experienced folks but the idea is basically as you describe. You could even do it without packing (make sure you still have copper in the vapor path) but I suspect some packing would allow for better separation as there is more surface in the column for liquid/vapor interaction.

But sugar wash is cheap, so don't get greedy. Get your methods down, then when you get into strip 3 spirit 1 you'll find you can make plenty of neutrals in pretty short order.
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

Stenfet wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:18 am Or is that yest a dumb idea all together ?
My lowly opinion goes with dumb idea all together.
If you're going to strip, strip, make no cuts period.
Don't make it more work than necessary.

The amount of time and effort you're wasting adds up to an extra long day with nothing really gained.
Just how many minutes did it take to "well balance" the column?

BTW, just what do you mean by "carefully bleed out the foreshot in a well balanced cm column"?
How many MEASURED ml/hr are we talking? (you're drops are probably different size than my drips :D )

It's a whole lot simpler and easier to strip as fast as your condenser will allow.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I never make cuts on a stripping run.
Run it as hard and fast as I can, avoiding a puke, into one container
Make your cuts on the spirit run. Slow heat up, never make a "fores" cut because the first 2 or 3 jars never make the cut anyway.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

On my pot still I always do a slow start and fores cut every time I run it. Takes about one hour for me to get through fores painfully slow. I'd like to compress and remove any fores as much as possible at every opportunity. On a spirit run I just then continue collecting heads in jar 1 along with fores once I don't detect them any more and that jar plus one or two more always goes into the fores jug for other uses. I definitely don't ever want to use the first 2-3 jars in either feints or hearts so those go to fores jugs for cleaning, fire starter, etc... Feints, white, barrel cut are different blends of fractions for different uses..

Takes a bit more time to collect fores low and slow every time I run but I'm happy with that approach.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

A prevailing approach from DAD300 (one I tend to agree with) is to do the opposite of your proposal. Start your run with the RC off and bleed 'fores as though running a pot still. Quick (relatively), linear and convenient by taking a portion (your choice) of early heads you might not have saved anyway.

Taking 'fores after equalizing the column expends energy and time, effectively smearing a fraction of 'fores throughout the column that again, takes time and impacts more jars.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

I have found that when stripping, the first drips start coming over before the riser is even fully up to temp. When I'm not in the moment, I always think that it might not be a bad idea to chuck these initial drips before the flow really starts on the grounds that they can't possibly be anything drinkable. I tend to have this thought about 5 minutes after the flow starts so I can't comment on whether it makes any difference.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Stenfet
Novice

Post by Stenfet »

bunny wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:52 am
Stenfet wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:18 am Or is that yest a dumb idea all together ?
My lowly opinion goes with dumb idea all together.
If you're going to strip, strip, make no cuts period.
Don't make it more work than necessary.

The amount of time and effort you're wasting adds up to an extra long day with nothing really gained.
Just how many minutes did it take to "well balance" the column?

BTW, just what do you mean by "carefully bleed out the foreshot in a well balanced cm column"?
How many MEASURED ml/hr are we talking? (you're drops are probably different size than my drips :D )

It's a whole lot simpler and easier to strip as fast as your condenser will allow.
I usually let the still varm up and leave it in 100% reflux for about 30-40 minutes while i do my dishes and getting my yars and playlist in order.

Sorry about the bad vocabular and poor explanations.
Im doing my best without google translation :crazy:

I have, i guess you can call it, a liquid unit under the reflux with a valve that i open to get the foreshot and head out while still in 100% reflux.
I havent timed it exactly but maby 5-600 ml in about 45 minutes. I have only done it twice so far with this still and am new to this.

After this i turned the heater down to about 1800 watt and start collecting thrue the productcondenser.

I hear you and everybody else that i should not bother with making any cuts at all when i do strippingruns.
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

Stenfet wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:20 am
I haven't timed it exactly, but maybe 5-600ml in about 45 minutes.

I hear you and everybody else that i should not bother with making any cuts at all when i do strippingruns.
BTW: I don't think you will find many who agree 5-600ml/45 minutes is considered "carefully bleeding".
OK, you've heard my opinions, don't let me ruin your party :D
Stenfet
Novice

Post by Stenfet »

bunny wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:23 am
Stenfet wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:20 am
I haven't timed it exactly, but maybe 5-600ml in about 45 minutes.

BTW: I don't think you will find many who agree 5-600ml/45 minutes is considered "carefully bleeding".
OK, you've heard my opinions, don't let me ruin your party :D
Absolutly not. I’m here to learn :thumbup: