Better Method if you absolutely HAVE to use Turbo Yeast

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

essjay
Novice

Re: Better Method if you absolutely HAVE to use Turbo Yeast

Post by essjay »

I wanted the worst case baseline as a test and tried a few turbos, then used the essencia super 6, now onto birdwatchers and rum and other things.

Essencia Super 6 is same price as a turbo, same steps as a turbo, same idea as a turbo. Packet of yeast plus nutrients, just add water and sugar. The pack suggest 6kg, restrain yourself and use 5 instead. It wont ferment in 24 hours, or 48 hours, more like a week to ten days. No sour off smells, no stinking up the house when fermenting or distilling, and a WAY better product than from turbos. Actually while fermenting it smells very similar to how birdwatchers recipe smells. I dont count super 6 as a turbo personally, its not designed to go off to highest possible alcahol in shortest time and damn the quality. Its your yeast and nutrients mix, was reading up somewhere that the difference with essencia is they arent using urea as a nutrient, instead using the nutrients usually used for wines and the likes, very neutral not imparting much flavour. Browser crashed and having trouble finding the same writeup on it. Anyhow in practice it seems to hold true.

What my rambling and ranting is getting at, is if you *MUST* use turbo, and your in this thread so you might fit in that category, then give the super 6 a go, it wont cost you anything extra except a few extra days fermenting. The resulting product is a huge step in the right direction from turbos, the hearts of it could almost pass for vodka, only the tiniest amount of sweet smell and about the same taste wise. Perfect in mixers or for adding essence to, if youv been drinking turbo then youll think its the worlds best in any case. Give it a shot youv got nothing to lose, maybe for you it will be the next stepping stone towards a birdwatcher and then other tried and true recipes as it was for me.
tom sawyer
Swill Maker

Post by tom sawyer »

I have plenty of experience with fermentation of beer and I've seen/tasted the negative consequences of a runaway ferm. Fermentation generates heat in the first place, and warmer temps makes fermentation go faster, faster ferm means more heat etc. With ale yeasts you get into the mid- 70's and you get a lot of fusels and esters being formed.

One thing I didn't see mentioned here is to use a swamp cooler to modulate temps. Its just a big plastic tub that you sit your fermentor in, and fill with water. Depending on size of tub you can almost double the thermal mass of liquid (beer in bucket plus water in tub). This cuts down the increase in temp from fermentation. You can also rotate ice bottles into the swamp cooler to furtehr reduce temps. Or you can put a tshirt over your fermentor and put a fan on it to cause evaporation which carries off a lot of heat.

Just thought I'd throw this out there. I also have a small chest freezer with Johnson controller for my lager ferms, but thats been mentioned and is more expensive.
Pogomac
Novice

Post by Pogomac »

I had a bag of the 48turbo from when I didn't know of this site, so I did the cut in half method of this string. 7 days later it's now just racked to clear. This is only my 2nd run ever, and I want to not use turbo klar - so I'm letting it sit.

How clear is 'clear' when not using a product? Like water? Or just slightly cloudy?

Mines a cloudy yellowy-orange right now and smells quite citrusy.

I've heard 'rack and run' - can I run it directly after racking even if it's a bit cloudy?
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

It's all good. Run it. :thumbup:
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
greatlakesltnin
Novice

Post by greatlakesltnin »

Heck guys, i simply use a RedStar Cuvee yeast that i start in warm sugar water. it will ferment from 50-86 degreesF and work out to 18% + if u do it right. ive made probably 40 batches just within this summer, and gotten some killer yeilds. one run i got lucky, and it proofed at 170 proof on my tralle/proof meter, dont get me wrong tho, that wasnt a huge amount, it was halfway thru the run, and danged if i didnt save that halfpint for proofing!!! for a nutrient i simply used a good cornmeal that had been wetted down for the night. as long as i was sure to pitch off the first cpl of ozs or so, the taste is fantastic and very smooth. i proof to abt 95-115 proof,as anything over that is just not terribly nice to drink, way too much ABV..
wockman
Novice

Post by wockman »

Is carbon filtering necessary? I only do it because the instructional DVD that came with it said I had to, I put my distilled product into the filter bucket and the output "visually" looks the same as the input with the exception of a few black flecks from the carbon filter in the output...pro and cons??
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

no you dont have to carbon filter..most dont
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

greatlakesltnin wrote:Heck guys, i simply use a RedStar Cuvee yeast that i start in warm sugar water. it will ferment from 50-86 degreesF and work out to 18% + if u do it right. ive made probably 40 batches just within this summer, and gotten some killer yeilds. one run i got lucky, and it proofed at 170 proof on my tralle/proof meter, dont get me wrong tho, that wasnt a huge amount, it was halfway thru the run, and danged if i didnt save that halfpint for proofing!!! for a nutrient i simply used a good cornmeal that had been wetted down for the night. as long as i was sure to pitch off the first cpl of ozs or so, the taste is fantastic and very smooth. i proof to abt 95-115 proof,as anything over that is just not terribly nice to drink, way too much ABV..
I see no good reason to go that high on potential ABV. Other then greed.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

@greatlakesltnin

The potential of the wash has virtually zero bearing on the proof of the distilled spirits... Now that you've got yourself convinced that you're making good spirits it's time to do some research and give a Tried and True recipe a go... I can assure you that you'll notice an improvement... You can have quantity or quality, but not both... Most here choose quality... And that takes a good recipe, good fermentation, good cuts during distillation, and good blending after airing... Aging is optional...
greatlakesltnin
Novice

Post by greatlakesltnin »

prariepiss had mentioned that he saw no good reason to get such a hi abv..now that i have ran quite a few batches, i also see no good reason for very high proof spirits. most moonshiners i know and some oldtimers that taught me always proofed at 90-110 proof...personally i cant stand even sipping "hi shots" to me anything over 120proof is awfully strong and firey, even if its a good tasting recipe with low fusils. some people ask me to strip,and strip until i can get 170-180 proof..screw that..if that what you want, go buy some everclear and drink that. I concentrate on running smooth,semi-strong liquor that has that traditional moonshine taste. ive even found that by taking it in and out of the freezer makes the spirit smoother and more enjoyable. especially when leaving cinnamon stiks in it then adding apple cider or juice to taste, for some apple pie shine!!!! yummy stuff that brings smiles and makes nice gifts!!
Pogomac
Novice

Post by Pogomac »

I won't be getting the 48hour again, but for the stuff I did have, this method turned out some pretty good stuff. I've got the other half in the tub now, while stripping my 1st Gerber.

I've also got a bag of the 23% turbo, I reckon I can use the same halving method with that one too.
jasfromnz
Novice

Post by jasfromnz »

I am doing this batch at moment but sg doesn't want to go under 1015,what would happen if I did it now???
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

jasfromnz wrote:I am doing this batch at moment but sg doesn't want to go under 1015,what would happen if I did it now???
Either the yeast can't cope with the high %ABV of the wash or the readings are skewed by unfermentable solids... Let it clear and run it as trying to salvage a stalled turbo wash is all but futile...
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

what is it,,that mite give a idea if it has something unfermentable.
hwy419
Novice

Post by hwy419 »

For years before I switched to baker's yeast I was using Turbo. I only used a very small fraction of the bag (1/10th and no extra nutrients) and was always thoroughly satisfied with the ferment time, volume and taste of the final product. At the suggestion of some here, I started using baker's yeast a few months ago. I can't speak for volume and flavor just yet because I don't have enough for a second run, I only switched to give it a try.
“Quality is never an accident;
it is always the result of high intention, sincere
effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution;
it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.”
-William A. Foster
JJ Just Jonny
Novice

Post by JJ Just Jonny »

I keep seeing posts saying to only use a partial packet of the turbo yeast for a 5 gallon wash, has anyone gone the other way and made a much bigger wash? I have a 25 gallon wash with 25 lbs of sugar and about 8-10 lbs of cracked corn. basically Uncle Jesses simple no cook recipe. I used this recipe once before but I used my wifes baking yeast with excellent results, all these turbo yeast posts have my wondering if I have just wasted 25 lbs of sugar!
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Not sure why you would think you wasted 25 lbs of sugar. Unless you used a turbo yeast?
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
JJ Just Jonny
Novice

Post by JJ Just Jonny »

Yes Mr. Piss I did use the turbo 48 just because I had it and didn't want to waste it....hell, I guess I can always use more solvent around the shop!
natasdg47187
Novice

Post by natasdg47187 »

hey guys need some help been running my 5 gallon pot still for an hour an temp is at 183-184 an it still not producing anything. should I turn the heat up until it starts to produce? what If it starts to produce right at the 200 mark? I thought that your suppose to shut it down at 200f. please help
hopkins21
Novice

Post by hopkins21 »

Quick question.....I used turbo yeast on just a regular sugar wash and of course got a terrible flavor so would I be able to redistill what I collected to get rid of the nasty taste. I also used turbo on my sweet feed and they tasted the same.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

hopkins21 wrote:Quick question.....I used turbo yeast on just a regular sugar wash and of course got a terrible flavor so would I be able to redistill what I collected to get rid of the nasty taste. I also used turbo on my sweet feed and they tasted the same.
Just stop using it... Yes, you can try diluting and redistilling... Turbo yeast was never intended to be used with grains, or anything other than sugar for that matter... And it was never intended to be used with a pot still...
natasdg47187
Novice

Post by natasdg47187 »

I used red star high rise bread yeast u can get at the local walmart. still new to the game but haven't had any problem with it yet. I got a 5 gallon apple juice going for 4 days now an it still bubbling like crazy an its got the red star in it. try that
hopkins21
Novice

Post by hopkins21 »

What are you using for nutrients with the red star?
chrisc69
Novice

Post by chrisc69 »

ill sometimes use the turbo yeast in the winter hear i do like 50l batch whisky with it its a downsized recipe off the parent site it comes out ok i can make better but its ok for the mates when they just want pre drinks before we go out or back yard drink and want to save my good stuff just a long oak period i find cleans it up nicer as well

i deferentially wouldn't suggest trying to make a really nice recipe with it i don't know what it is but it always comes out mediocre in taste might be the speed its trying to ferment at i let it ferment for like a week and a half for or till all of the yeast to drop out of suspension and siphon off the wash
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Refrigerate it.
Hot water and soap. A little bleach if desired.
GA Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
GBfanKeith
Novice

Post by GBfanKeith »

what do you mean by rack and clear after fermenting? New at distilling Ive built a pot still. Ive got a 62 qt 18 guage stainless steel pot, using 1/2 in soft copper for my condenser (worm) in a 6 gal bucket (keeping water temp around 40 degrees) propane heat now ive got a black rubber stopper that my copper line goes thru and have it about an inch and a half thru lid, seal lid with a 3/16 in cotton cord and clamp lid with 1" wide clamps approx 1/4" apart all around lid. ran first batch with no leaks also another black rubber stopper for my thermomater which is approx 2" off the bottom of pot. ive been told (or I have read don't use black rubber stopper) any suggestions? first batch 15 gals purified water (split into 3 5 gal carbouys) 2 packs 135g each alcotec 48 pure super yeast and 36 pounds of brown sugar ( got reciepe off internet) fermented for 5 days as package described. when distilled got approx 3 gals of good product. am I on rite track? Had no leaks while distilling but thinking of using hemp cord for my lid seal ya or nay. appreciate all advice and help THX
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

GBfanKeith wrote:what do you mean by rack and clear after fermenting? New at distilling Ive built a pot still. Ive got a 62 qt 18 guage stainless steel pot, using 1/2 in soft copper for my condenser (worm) in a 6 gal bucket (keeping water temp around 40 degrees) propane heat now ive got a black rubber stopper that my copper line goes thru and have it about an inch and a half thru lid, seal lid with a 3/16 in cotton cord and clamp lid with 1" wide clamps approx 1/4" apart all around lid. ran first batch with no leaks also another black rubber stopper for my thermomater which is approx 2" off the bottom of pot. ive been told (or I have read don't use black rubber stopper) any suggestions? first batch 15 gals purified water (split into 3 5 gal carbouys) 2 packs 135g each alcotec 48 pure super yeast and 36 pounds of brown sugar ( got reciepe off internet) fermented for 5 days as package described. when distilled got approx 3 gals of good product. am I on rite track? Had no leaks while distilling but thinking of using hemp cord for my lid seal ya or nay. appreciate all advice and help THX
Perhaps you should have done some more research before building a still and making a wash... We consider independent research to be mandatory, not optional... If you had you would have known that synthetics have no place in a still unless it is PTFE and that turbo yeast is frowned upon other than for making fuel...

Hardware stores have several options that would be better than a rubber stopper... Go there, look around, and figure out what works... That's what the rest of us do... We don't ask for a recipe for a still and then go shopping as if for groceries...

You'd have learned about flour paste during your research as well and wouldn't have had issues with sealing the boiler...

Put your rig into Park and don't don anything more until you have done enough research to know what you are doing right and doing wrong... If you have these questions then you're bound to find answers to other questions you don't even know you have yet...
Loganmeister
Novice
Location: Hell, I don't know what day it is, how can you expect me to know where I am.

Re: Black vodka is no laughing matter

Post by Loganmeister »

rad14701 wrote:In defense of alkoholics method, using two fermenters instead of one helps because there is more fermenter surface area which leaves less chance of thermal runaway which will cause off flavors long before killing the yeast...
Hey there, I respect your knowledge of course, but this is a novice section and I wish those with experience would help by explaining everything so us newbies with zero experience can learn faster with technical terms and such. Can you explain thermal runoff? I am guessing it has to to with temp and loss, but not sure.

Thanks for your help Rad.
Add the sugar to the water, built a fire make it hotter, from the hopper to the copper and it's moonshine
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Loganmeister wrote:
rad14701 wrote:In defense of alkoholics method, using two fermenters instead of one helps because there is more fermenter surface area which leaves less chance of thermal runaway which will cause off flavors long before killing the yeast...
Hey there, I respect your knowledge of course, but this is a novice section and I wish those with experience would help by explaining everything so us newbies with zero experience can learn faster with technical terms and such. Can you explain thermal runoff? I am guessing it has to to with temp and loss, but not sure.

The term is "thermal runaway" and it relates to the temperature rising exceedingly fast due to chemical reactions taking place within the fermentation vessel... Kinda like a nuclear reaction if you've ever been fascinated by mushroom clouds... The larger the fermentation vessel the greater the chance of this happening because there is less fermenter surface area in relation to the volume of wash... But this shouldn't necessarily be confused with an "exothermic reaction", but is remotely similar...
Loganmeister
Novice
Location: Hell, I don't know what day it is, how can you expect me to know where I am.

Post by Loganmeister »

rad14701 wrote:
Loganmeister wrote:

The term is "thermal runaway" and it relates to the temperature rising exceedingly fast due to chemical reactions taking place within the fermentation vessel... Kinda like a nuclear reaction if you've ever been fascinated by mushroom clouds... The larger the fermentation vessel the greater the chance of this happening because there is less fermenter surface area in relation to the volume of wash... But this shouldn't necessarily be confused with an "exothermic reaction", but is remotely similar...
Thanks rad.........and yes, I am fascinated by mushroom clouds.........Fukushima is looking more promising everyday, but I digress. So, if I only have two brain cells that collide to form a thought, and I get information overload from all there is to learn that results in my head exploding, would that be a thermal runaway, or Exothermic reaction? :D Thanks for explaining it. There is so much to learn I think that is why I am enjoying this hobby. Cheers
Add the sugar to the water, built a fire make it hotter, from the hopper to the copper and it's moonshine