Better Method if you absolutely HAVE to use Turbo Yeast

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

alkoholics
Novice

Better Method if you absolutely HAVE to use Turbo Yeast

Post by alkoholics »

ok this is simple if you are using turbo yeast and its the packs that contain 205g of yeast and nutrients, split it into to seperate batches it eliminates most off flavors and you will not need carbon filtering

1 Pack 24 Hour Turbo Yeast 14%abv, 206 grams (split in 2 103grams each)

12 Kg Sugar. (split into 2) 6 kg each its better to use 5 kg each

46 Liters Water. (split into 2)

Ferment Between 20-30c till done (roughly 1-5 Days) Rack and clear, then Distill, you will not need to carbon filter it and you will get more booze for your buck
rad14701
retired

Re: Black vodka is no laughing matter

Post by rad14701 »

In defense of alkoholics method, using two fermenters instead of one helps because there is more fermenter surface area which leaves less chance of thermal runaway which will cause off flavors long before killing the yeast...
Husker
retired

Re: Better Method if you absolutely HAVE to use Turbo Yeast

Post by Husker »

I duplicated alkoholics post (and rad's reply) from another thread, and placed it here on it's own. This question comes up enough, and people find us after investing in some crap turbo yeast. Thus, this method 'can' be used to make some acceptable results, vs trying to follow the packet instructions.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

I have been splitting the turbo packets into 1/8- to 1/10. make a starter with a fraction of the packet, and start your ferment around 1.080. You will only you will only yield 10%, but it will be a good 10% compared to a shitty 18%.
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

MuleKicker wrote:I have been splitting the turbo packets into 1/8- to 1/10. make a starter with a fraction of the packet, and start your ferment around 1.080. You will only you will only yield 10%, but it will be a good 10% compared to a shitty 18%.
If you are only using 1/10 - 1/8 of a sachet you may need to add more nutrients... True, by using that yeast as a starter you can grow a decent sized yeast colony to pitch, but you won't grow more nutrients... While the turbo sachet may be nutrient rich enough to work well with a half sachet, smaller fractions will run out of nutrients before the wash runs out of convertible sugar...
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

yes, i am adding nutrients, forgot to post that.
-Control Freak-
Rod
Swill Maker

Post by Rod »

I notice here that there is no mention of turbo clear

I usually use 1/2 packet of turbo yeast , ( as suggested by Hookline may posts ago ) ( may try 1/4 packet next )

put 8 kg of sugar into 30 litres of water and ferment @ 20°C ( have tried 6 kg sugar and found not much difference )

rack when the fermentation is complete and add turbo clear and rest for a week before stilling

I use a still spirits reflux still with electric control of the element using a sutronic controller

I would like to omit the turbo clear , one less ingredient to taste
( although , I do not think any taste would come from this stuff )

I was going to add gelatine to help the flocculation and or settling , but wonder if it is necessary

my neutral spirit is pretty good now and does not need carbon filtering

This has been a year long process and results from a lot of help from the guys at this site

now mucking about with botanical baskets etc for gin

yet to make a better still , but the quantities I get from my still keep me going , not into whiskey or rum
The Friendly Spirit
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I do not use anything to clear with ,just time but cold does wonders the colder the better as low as 34f (4c)
Rod
Swill Maker

Post by Rod »

As I usually ferment in a fridge with fridge mate controller I can omit the controller and run the fridge as normal

or at the moment put it outside , overnight getting to from zero to 5°C downunder here

good idea
The Friendly Spirit
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

That whould be good :D if I knew more about heat pumps they mite be idea as you could heat or cool ferment as needed.
Rod
Swill Maker

Post by Rod »

The fridge mate allows you to control a refrigerator temperature with-in a couple of degrees or control a heat pad or belt for warming
The Friendly Spirit
airhill
Swill Maker

Post by airhill »

Dnderhead wrote:I do not use anything to clear with ,just time but cold does wonders the colder the better as low as 34f (4c)
1 micron filter with activated carbon. Gravity feed to second barrel, takes about 5hrs. Jammed the non return valve so I can backflush it.
airhill
Swill Maker

Post by airhill »

Just fermented a 1/3 cut Alcotec 48 (78gms) sugar wash, looks like it will be finished tomorrow 4 days (credit to Minime).
Brown rice wash running quite slowly and want to run off some more neutral on the weekend.
I used 5kg white sugar made up to 19l in the fermenter, didn't smell too good when fermenting (but turbo's never do) but looks and tastes (don't use a hydrometer, just taste and spit) quite good.
I suspect quarter cut might work.
Alambique
Novice

Post by Alambique »

Has anybody used the dredges from the last ferment (that you keep frozen,) and only use 1/4 of the turbo yeast to helped along?
I have and the results are perfect,also I sediment the ferment in the fridge at 0C for few days,it works for me :ewink:
Eat excrement six zillion billion flies cannot be wrong !
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

With a turbo wash you main concern is ending up with a buildup of the components that contribute to off taste and smell... Aside from that you can reuse parts of your spent wash just like with any other recipe... If it works for you, go for it...
sudsy
Novice

Post by sudsy »

people will realize when it tastes like tails no matter how much they spend on carbon they need to look at other alternatives, anyone with half a brain that is I've been in this game for not even 3 months and already i can't stand the product. just my two cents.
drunkmore
Novice

Post by drunkmore »

sudsy wrote:people will realize when it tastes like tails no matter how much they spend on carbon they need to look at other alternatives, anyone with half a brain that is I've been in this game for not even 3 months and already i can't stand the product. just my two cents.
Sounds to me like your not cutting soon enough.
I carbon filter as a matter of course, it cant make my shine taiste bad, its not like its dificult and with practice and the right kit it only takes a few minutes to set up.
then it runs all on its own. drip....drip...drip
I drink there for I am.
I mrink there for I ad.
I .... oh gorfet et.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

drunkmore wrote:Sounds to me like your not cutting soon enough.
I carbon filter as a matter of course, it cant make my shine taiste bad, its not like its dificult and with practice and the right kit it only takes a few minutes to set up.
then it runs all on its own. drip....drip...drip
Start out with a better wash recipe and you won't ever need to carbon filter again... I can dilute and drink right out of the still...
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

not that it matters, but all the commercials carbon filter. Like you say, it cant hurt. If you want to do the extra work, and money for the accessories.

I drink right out of the still too. Honestly, its the best. MMMMM, the shit right in the middle of the hearts run.
-Control Freak-
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I don't understand all the problems a lot of guys have with turbo yeast. I use the Alcotec 48. 6 kg of suger to reach 14/15% alcohol. 8 kg for 19%. In my opinion, 8 kg is a bit over the top. Kills of a lot of yeast. 7.5 kg is perfect and also generates 19%! Off tases because of the turbo yeast? Not in my experience, and not with Alcotec. If I tripple distill in my potstill I get to 90%. Water it down to 40% and I have got a vodka with a little fruity flavour and a bit of a bite. I love it. And if I put it in my reflux, I get 95% purity in one run without even needing to skip run first. Water it down, and a pure ethanol/water drink comes out. No flavour and so a perfect basis as a vodka or to mix other ingredients in. Once tried a special vodka yeast for pot distillers. Suposed to be purer and with less taste. Well, I tripple distilled it in my potstill and got a vodka tasting rather flat.

No, Alcotec 48 is a great yeast for me. Just don't go for 8 kg of sugar and make sure you put it in a cooler place after the first day and a half. And don't use an airlock the first two days.

See ya,
Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
aqua vitae
Swill Maker

Post by aqua vitae »

Alcotec Vodka Star is the yeast of my choice. One sachet, never more than 6 kg sugar in a 25 litre batch. It ferments very slow but with cleaner wash as result. The fermented wash tastes like wine, but very dull and tasteless. The low wines doesn't smell so bad either.
Easy to get neutral out of this recipe, and for those who have to do cuts the tail cut would come later than usual as it got less of those components than any turbo I've tried.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Seems like a lot of stuffing about when bakers yeast is available everywhere, but I'm just an old bugger. :ebiggrin:
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Husker wrote:I duplicated alkoholics post (and rad's reply) from another thread, and placed it here on it's own. This question comes up enough, and people find us after investing in some crap turbo yeast. Thus, this method 'can' be used to make some acceptable results, vs trying to follow the packet instructions.

H.
I was avoiding this thread because so much has been said about Turbo yeast and a lot of us started with it because we didn't know better or the brew store just sold us on it. The title of this thread did not make since to me until I read your thread Husker (If you absolutely have to use it) that maybe someone bought multiple packets and needs to use it up. It's good that we have a solution to that problem nobody likes to waste!
Wheelz
Novice

Post by Wheelz »

Odin wrote:
No, Alcotec 48 is a great yeast for me. Just don't go for 8 kg of sugar and make sure you put it in a cooler place after the first day and a half. And don't use an airlock the first two days.

See ya,
Odin.
Pardon my ignorance, but why would you not use an airlock the first 2 days? Do you just leave it open to atmosphere? Isn't that a little risky, particularly in summer? We get a lot of those annoying fruit flies here down-under. Not about to share with them. :evil:
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

I would put it under airlock, but make DAMN sure it is a high volume air lock. A 3/8" tube running into a jar of water is a decent enough air lock.

If you have them nasty drunkard flies around, then you damn well want to keep them out of the wash, or you will likely end up with 12% vinegar instead of 12% ethanol. Them damn things can spoil a wash very quickly.

However, and very strong turbo, CAN overwhelm many of the tiny airlocks. That is likely why the original recommendation was made.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Wheelz wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but why would you not use an airlock the first 2 days? Do you just leave it open to atmosphere? Isn't that a little risky, particularly in summer? We get a lot of those annoying fruit flies here down-under. Not about to share with them. :evil:
The thought process behind leaving the wash open has just as much to do with allowing for a supply of oxygen to promote yeast colony growth as avoiding an airlock blowout... I'm not fond of the concept myself... I'd rather aerate the hell out of the wash and let the cards fall where they may... If one large or multiple smaller airlocks are required then so be it... I'm just not into open ferments...
GuessX
Novice

Post by GuessX »

Husker wrote:I would put it under airlock, but make DAMN sure it is a high volume air lock. A 3/8" tube running into a jar of water is a decent enough air lock.

If you have them nasty drunkard flies around, then you damn well want to keep them out of the wash, or you will likely end up with 12% vinegar instead of 12% ethanol. Them damn things can spoil a wash very quickly.

However, and very strong turbo, CAN overwhelm many of the tiny airlocks. That is likely why the original recommendation was made.

H.
Despite all recommendations I purchased a T500 which has come with my first batch (Don't worry guys, I'm looking into making my own as time goes on, just trying to come to grips with knowledge and understanding first, and will flog this second hand once I can get around to making my own)

The turbo yeast has gone insane .. the bubbling nearly emptied my airlock which came with the kit. I know exactly what my first run will taste like now .. I had someones homebrew a while ago and it tasted exactly like this stuff smells.

My next run will be using some tried and true methods, but seeing as I was given the ingredients I'm using what I have as my first run.

Wish me luck .. At least I've also got the carbon filter to try and remove any of these excess smells.
whaut
Novice

Post by whaut »

From what I have read it seems that controlling the temperature is very important. You can easily get thermal runaway and the yeast can end's its cycle too soon and make it taste like crap. I would think that with turbo yeast you would want to keep in the 68 or lower range at all times.

But I am totally guessing with no practical experience. Just parroting what I have read and made sense to me..
My first batch is running now with a bubble every three seconds. I have noticed temps as high as 69 and have moved it closer to the wall and am lowering temps in the room. Sure wish I knew more about yeast selection first.
LIL POPCORN
Novice

Post by LIL POPCORN »

MuleKicker wrote:not that it matters, but all the commercials carbon filter. Like you say, it cant hurt. If you want to do the extra work, and money for the accessories.

I drink right out of the still too. Honestly, its the best. MMMMM, the shit right in the middle of the hearts run.

amen!
CuWhistle
Rumrunner

Post by CuWhistle »

Used Turbo 24 and I didn't hink it was too bad but there was a background flavour and the more I drank the more I could taste it. Built my carbon filter and ran a couple of litres of 40% cut through it over several hours (1 litre / 3 hours or there abouts) and the difference is amazing.

Turbo yeast works but you have to carbon filter it unless you want to build up a shithouse flavour in your mouth.