Fwd: Counterfeit Spirits (YOU WILL BE CAUGHT)

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jayka
Swill Maker

Re: Fwd: Counterfeit Spirits (YOU WILL BE CAUGHT)

Post by jayka »

I'm not interested in counterfeiting or selling or anything like that. Just curious as to what is it that they can detect in a commercial product that they can't in homemade? If you making something with exactly the same process only on a different scale how does theirs end up different?
Sooner or later the people who run the planet all end up choosing one drink....
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

jayka wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:07 pm Just curious as to what is it that they can detect in a commercial product that they can't in homemade?
Heads. ;-)
jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka »

Corsaire wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:14 pm
jayka wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:07 pm Just curious as to what is it that they can detect in a commercial product that they can't in homemade?
Heads. ;-)
Seriously?
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Nah.

The big commercial boys have gcms and other goodies and know what their hooch is made off.

I think if someone wants to make counterfeit johnny walker for example they'd do it on the cheap.
So lab analysis would show more colorants and no barrel extracted compounds for example.
jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka »

Ok cool so the fact ours missing these distinguishing features is actually good. Means ours is cleaner, more pure.
Triplequad
Novice

Post by Triplequad »

So much miss information. For the last 40 years I've worked as an engineering chemist for a manufacturer of The pinnacle of chemical analysis today, the Mass Spectrometer. ( Google Sciex) there are many types of Mass specs ranging triple quads to maldis. In the opening statement we speak of the The "Authenticator", a portable Ultraviolet Spectrophotometer or a TUV detector. I can assure you a triplequad MS, be it LC or GC could not perform an analysis to quantify every compound in a whiskey, there are tens of thousands. Its like looking at the night sky with you eyes, do you see everything? No, now look through a telescope so much more to see. How about an observatory, now the Hubble. The more sensitive you are, the more you see. Comparing a TUV to a Mass spec is like Comparing one of those rubber band balsawood air planes you played with as a kid to an F16.
Now think about the process and the Variables. The grains, the water the tree that any Specific barrel was made of. At a molecular level thinking someone could say this is authentic is laughable even with the high end mass specs like a Triple TOF MS.
Fact of the matter is we consider counterfeiting wrong but at its core, it is Intellectual property , I figured out how to do this 1st. So its mine. In the part of the world I grew up in, I would agree with this.
I don't do it because it's wrong not because I'm afraid of some madeup tech.
But I'm a realist, counterfeiting spirits happens because its profitable and the definition of "legal " changes depending on lines on a map.
All this rambling can be distilled to, do onto others as you would have done to you.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

👍🏻 Triplequad!

Way back in 2009 (page 1 or 2) I posted about what we were doing with tanks and the soap analysts for the engines. Good to hear someone else with real experience with spectrometers/etc. (Not that what I was doing was even in the same ballpark as you)

great post!
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Seanjohn19
Novice

Post by Seanjohn19 »

I don't think many people would go threw with it all especially the research and cost of initial setup..
Last edited by Seanjohn19 on Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Seanjohn19 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:27 pm Is my neighbor making spirits 🤔..... 😋 I don't think many people would go threw with it all especially the research and cost of initial setup.. kinda scary I'm new to the site used it for alot of researching but it's alarming now are people leaving?
Seanjohn , found that post a bit too cryptc for my poor brain . Can you explain it a bit clearer.
Seanjohn19
Novice

Post by Seanjohn19 »

Sorry I miss read it and I was joking about my neighbor she's a little old lady. I hope that there's nobody on here using the information on this site to counterfeit spirits and sell it. If people start doing stuff like that and the get caught and tracked back to here it would suck for the site to get shut down, not only that people will start to frown upon the people just doing it for hobby...
Olmatemick
Novice

Post by Olmatemick »

Wonder if the equipment they have is a nose that can pick up the reek of turbo yeasts
SteadyStills
Novice

Post by SteadyStills »

I read where Ohio was trying to pass home distilling legislation where you could legally home distill 100 gal of spirits a year. Any other states like that out there? I don't know if it ever passed.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

SteadyStills wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:04 am I read where Ohio was trying to pass home distilling legislation where you could legally home distill 100 gal of spirits a year. Any other states like that out there? I don't know if it ever passed.
States can pass laws, but federal law prevails. However, enforcement is moderated by financial and resource availability. So, hobby distillation exists and proliferates as a hobby. But when you attempt to sell the spirits without a license, the taxman gets involved and suddenly you become a priority to the government.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
SteadyStills
Novice

Post by SteadyStills »

Last i knew it was about $13 excise tax per proof gallon of liquor to the state. Yeah, to go full scale op you gotta file with the feds and the state. And you can still get denied approval. And getting denied is worst case scenario because even applying, they know you're making liquor now.
SteadyStills
Novice

Post by SteadyStills »

And that's the other thing. I would gladly pay excise on very small batch if it were less complicated.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

SteadyStills wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:04 am I read where Ohio was trying to pass home distilling legislation where you could legally home distill 100 gal of spirits a year. Any other states like that out there? I don't know if it ever passed.
Try this.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer