this is a S L O W hobby !

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

manu de hanoi
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: this is a S L O W hobby !

Post by manu de hanoi »

Cornbread wrote: So....is my still basically a piece of crap? Why so damn slow? PM me if you know of a small pot still that will do it faster--please (& thanks so much)

PS (it did take 2 hours and 35 minutes for the first dripping to start)
You should insulate you still (with a blanket or foam ....) if you haven't done so already. And also consider a more powerful heating source.
Cornbread
Swill Maker
Location: I age it in the woods & bottle it in the barn. Why do ya wanna know?

Post by Cornbread »

Thanks ...I did get a different heat souce...a 10,000 btu propane burner...That should make a "strip" run shake & dance!!!!! Somebody said on here one day about everyone that had been on this forum for a while, had an unused electic hot plate sitting in their closet. Well, add my name to the list.
Moonshine ain't nothing but lots of love and goodness distilled into liquid. It will love you like a big woman wearing a straw hat
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Be mindful though CB.

Bring it to temp then ease it back. Don't want no puking.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Cornbread
Swill Maker
Location: I age it in the woods & bottle it in the barn. Why do ya wanna know?

Post by Cornbread »

LWTCS wrote:Be mindful though CB.

Thanks.......I may even switch back to electric on spirit runs. May I ask another question? At what point do you turn your cooling water on for a pot still? When you start? Or after she "gits to goin' "
Moonshine ain't nothing but lots of love and goodness distilled into liquid. It will love you like a big woman wearing a straw hat
Hack
retired

Post by Hack »

Cornbread wrote:
LWTCS wrote:Be mindful though CB.

Thanks.......I may even switch back to electric on spirit runs. May I ask another question? At what point do you turn your cooling water on for a pot still? When you start? Or after she "gits to goin' "
I've heard more than one story of "Oops I forgot to turn on my water and she started spouting vapor. I'm glad I didn't get blowed up." I run a worm so I don't have to worry about this, but on my still I can feel the heat starting to come across the lyne arm. If I was going to wait to turn on the water, I'd do it then.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Hack wrote:I've heard more than one story of "Oops I forgot to turn on my water and she started spouting vapor. I'm glad I didn't get blowed up." I run a worm so I don't have to worry about this, but on my still I can feel the heat starting to come across the lyne arm. If I was going to wait to turn on the water, I'd do it then.
Gawd, I did this once. :oops: :oops: :oops: What a dick head!!! Walked into the shed and had a dreadful case of instand diarrhoea. Now I fill the condenser bucket before I load the kettle.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
DRHillier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DRHillier »

I'm doing a run right now. I'm outside in my car port sitting on a 5 gallon bucket and reading the forums. Yes it's a slow hobby for sure. But I've also cleaned out my turkey deep fryer pot, transferred all the used oil into a container for disposal and straightened up my shed. It's slow but addictive!!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

You did some real digging to bring a post from 2009 back to life!
DRHillier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DRHillier »

Bushman wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:27 pm You did some real digging to bring a post from 2009 back to life!
Hey you guys tell us beginners to read read read. Lol that's what I'm doing.
It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

DRHillier wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:09 am
Bushman wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:27 pm You did some real digging to bring a post from 2009 back to life!
Hey you guys tell us beginners to read read read. Lol that's what I'm doing.
:thumbup:
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I've probably read every post.
When I check in I go to 'unread posts'.

Geoff
The Baker