cant find alpha or gluco amylase

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

piratesteve
Novice

cant find alpha or gluco amylase

Post by piratesteve »

well, ive searching all teh supply shops in town and cannot find alpha or gluco amylase, but the shop owner of one store said he can order in an alternative. it is a three in one enzyme. Im weary of his suggestion as he swears by the turbo yeasts. So i thought id run it by you guys. Im planning on trying out uncle remus's rice wash to get a grasp on the mashing.

Do not use this sachet for winemaking because dextrins are needed for the body of a wine - except for in diabetic wine. The main reason for this mixed enzyme sachet is for those who intend to distill when using a recipe which includes an element of fruit and an element of starch.

Sufficient for 25L (6.5 US gallons).

Contains: Amylase, Amyloglucosidase, and Pectolase

I know that there is no use for the pectolase in my use.

also if anyone has a good supplier for the amylase, a link would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
I was sober this morning, 'til I woke up this afternoon
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: cant find alpha or gluco amylase

Post by Dnderhead »

Brew Hus
dixiedrifter
Swill Maker

Post by dixiedrifter »

Milehidistilling.com is the only seller of alpha-amylase that I know of in the USA... they also have whiskey yeast with AG in bulk which is great for simultaneous saccarification and fermentation.

There are zip zilch zero sellers of thermo-stabilized alpa amylase unless of course you want to plunk several hundred dollars on a 25kg bucket.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Mile-Hi is who I get mine from. 1 pound of each is able to convert 1000 gallons of mash.
Think MH calls thier gluco Beta, but it's the same stuff.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
piratesteve
Novice

Post by piratesteve »

thanks. I tried looking on brewhaus, but could not find any there. And was reluctant to search mile hi. but beggers cant be choosers eh?
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Mile-Hi are very reputable people. I have no hesitation recommending them.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
piratesteve
Novice

Post by piratesteve »

Good to hear hawke, as ive found both products on their website. Might actually end up doing a fair bit of shopping there. They do have some pretty looking stills. I must admit seeing the SS is kinda hot! As pretty as copper is....
purduebrew
Novice

Post by purduebrew »

I must agree with Hawke, Mile Hi has been great to work with. I purchased the 8 Gallon Milk Can Still with new 2” dual purpose tower and have run 5 runs through it. It is great and the product has been too. The Liquor Quik essences they sell have been dynamite and dead on in most cases. I would recommend them with no hesitation. Not to say i have had any issue with Brewhaus either. They have been great to work with as well.

FYI I have placed 4 orders with Mile Hi and everything has been well packaged and delivered promptly.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Milehi has the enzymes. Brewhaus sells WD whiskey yeast with AG..under their "turbo" yeast section. Yes...their site could be better organized.
Brewhaus also sells copper mesh (big sheet of it for cheap) for those looking for packing or stopping a liebig from huffing.