Glycerine AFTER oaking???

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Cornbread
Swill Maker
Location: I age it in the woods & bottle it in the barn. Why do ya wanna know?

Glycerine AFTER oaking???

Post by Cornbread »

Glycerine AFTER oaking??? Using common sense says yes because of the "oily" mouth feel consistency "might" mess up the toasted oak being soaked throughout the wood? I can't decide. Oak until taste good, then try glycerine????(never tried it before, but want to.)
Moonshine ain't nothing but lots of love and goodness distilled into liquid. It will love you like a big woman wearing a straw hat
big worm
Trainee

Re: Glycerine AFTER oaking???

Post by big worm »

if you made good cuts and aged on oak i doubt you'll need any. but if you did i would wait untill i was decanting the final product to add it. jmho
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I use honey instead of glycerin In my rum and kahulas Not any whiskeys Like big worm stated Its also the last thing that's added
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Cornbread
Swill Maker
Location: I age it in the woods & bottle it in the barn. Why do ya wanna know?

Post by Cornbread »

I ordered a 4 ounce bottle just to try. Like i said before, I made grape wine, which taste good (IMO)- so I thought Grape Brandy would therefore tastes better......WRONG (IMO). I read somewhere that glycerine would help Brandy. I added a small amount of tasted oak today. I thought in a few weeks, I would add glycerine to one bottle and not the other.......just to try. Thanks for all the help guys! Y'all are a blessing to this old man!
Moonshine ain't nothing but lots of love and goodness distilled into liquid. It will love you like a big woman wearing a straw hat
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Cornbread wrote: ... I would add glycerine to one bottle and not the other.......just to try. ...
This is the way to go Cornbread. Experiment and find what YOU like best, and then let us know your findings. I've used it early in my stilling life, but then, I fucked about with everything I read. :mrgreen:

I don't recall using it for several years now though so I guess I must have decided not to bother, but that's just me.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.