Aging Whisky

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dis-still-in
Novice

Aging Whisky

Post by dis-still-in »

Afternoon,

Some quick questions regarding aging a bourbon. I have about 9L of whisky, the result of a stripping run and then a spirits run. I tried to follow the "Novice guide for cuts" post to identify my fractions and then blend. I ended up using all the hearts (ABV from approx. 80% down to approx 68%). I actually found that the first part of the heads (ABV approx 85%) had some really interesting flavors and so ended using quite a bit of the heads. I went into the tails until the flavor became 'harsh,' but well before any dirty sock/wet cardboard aromas, which I did notice very clearly toward the end of the tails. Once blended, I added about 24 1"x6"x1/4" american oak sticks to the whisky to soak. 2/3rds of them were medium to heavy toast (approx 2.5hrs at 350F in the oven) and the remainder I charred with my oxy acetylene rig in order to get some charcoal effect. It has been aging only 24hrs and is getting very dark. I realize that it will be diluted to approx 40ish%ABV, but am worried that I have over oaked the batch. I working theory is that there are two elements to the aging process: 1) getting the flavors/sugars out of the oak and 2) allowing time for the whisky to mellow out (age). I was planning on taking samples once weekly, but again, am worried that I am already over-oaking. Also, my working theory is that O2 is part of the aging process, mimicking the porosity of the barrel aging process. My plan was to let the whisky breathe for a day every week it was aging. Finally, on blending, does anyone have any further thoughts on what the flavors should be like? I know this will be heavily dependent on the mash recipe, but if anyone has any 'tasting notes' they compiled from their blending experience and feel like sharing, I think it would help me get my head around what I am looking to taste (or not taste!) Given that whisky will derive 80% of its flavor from the oak, it is a little difficult for me to go from tasting commercial whisky to tasting the unflavored/aged whisky...

Any thoughts on the aging process?

Thanks to all for their help and support for we novices.

Dis-Still-In
kiwistiller
retired

Re: Aging Whisky

Post by kiwistiller »

what is the ABV while the oak is in? if you haven't diluted a bit it will be too high. even then you've got a LOT of oak in there!
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
dis-still-in
Novice

Post by dis-still-in »

kiwistiller-

I was under the impression that the aging should be at full strength, so I have not diluted. Put it on the oak at 77%ABV. I am thinking I have too much oak as well after re-reading some of the other topics. So I guess I will take some of the oak out, but should I dilute as well?

Thanks.
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

um, not really re: the aging ABV. you might have gotten this idea from scotch distilleries who distill targeting the ABV they want to age at. I've just done an experiment on different ABVs and aging, the results are towards the end of this thread: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =4&t=11326

In a nutshell most probably age around 60%
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

I would definitely suggest starting the aging at no higher abv than 65%, Unless you're doing around a 12 gallon batch then there's too much oak in it to begin with and you'll end up with just a woody to "camp fire" flavor and not much else. 65% to me seems like the highest point of the balance of water to etoh when aging. At different abv it will have a different affect on the oak and vice versa.
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

when distillerys age they got what they call barel proof. grains is mostly in the 50s middlein 60s.

so im tole
dis-still-in
Novice

Post by dis-still-in »

Thanks, I just removed most of the oak and diluted to 60%ABV, giving me a total volume of approx. 2.75US Gallons of whisky-to-be. I ended up keeping about 10 of the oak sticks. This amount seems to approximate the surface contact of a barrel (with the entirely scientific method of wrapping the carboy I am using with the sticks, which went about half the way around, figuring they are two sided plus the 1/4" thickness should get close to a a similar sized barrel...)

After reading some of the other oaking posts I think I will also try to move the carboy into my kegarator at night and back out during the day to get the expansion/contraction phenomenon happening. Also will try and pour out the whiskey into a SS pot and then back into the carboy every few days to oxygenate, though a O2 stone would be better... Could use the corny kegs, and I am guessing this is to increase the pressure and force the liquid into the oak chips/slats? Also noticed that most of you all age per bottle, which in hindsight seems like a great way to go in the sense of 1) being able to experiment more with multiple bottles than just one big experiment in the carboy and 2) hedging against something going wrong and ruining an entire batch vs. just a bottle of product.

Anyway, happy to be at this point in the process and am already planning my next whisky run, which I think I will do a full cooked mash as I have large scale brew equipment....Looking forward to it

Again, thanks to all for your time and contributions to we nubes.