Suitable activated carbon

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fermentanator
Swill Maker

Suitable activated carbon

Post by Fermentanator »

I've found a website that sells a variety of bulk activated carbon, some being for water treatment etc. If they have one suitable for human drinking water, would this also be suited to filtering alcohol?

Just thought if I could get a large bag, I would never have to buy any again, since I plan to use it as little as possible. I would prefer this as opposed to the ridiculous prices at the home brew store.

Cheers
Hawke
retired

Re: Suitable activated carbon

Post by Hawke »

I've never had a need for carbon myself, so I can't answer the question.
Proper cuts saves you a lot of time.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
Fermentanator
Swill Maker

Post by Fermentanator »

Cheers mate. Was just curious as I'm not sure exactly how my still will perform.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Hawke has pretty well answered your question, Fermentater. I began using activated carbon because I thought it was an essential part of the process - much the same as having a thermometer on my potstill. After a short time in here I realized that all carbon did was used for was to provide more money to the HBS.

Careful cuts not only saves time, but also makes for a far better product.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.