Pump for cooling, to sit in pool - recommendations?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

C2H6O
Novice

Pump for cooling, to sit in pool - recommendations?

Post by C2H6O »

I am looking to get a submersible pump that I can sit in my pool, with the still next to it, so I can just circulate the water from and back into the pool. Has anyone got any recommendations of where I could find a pump for the job? I am in QLD, Australia.

I noticed that Essencia makes one, but it is $150, hoping to get something a lot cheaper than that.

Ideally it would have standard garden hose size connectors, so it will fit without modification.

Cheers.
airhill
Swill Maker

Re: Pump for cooling, to sit in pool - recommendations?

Post by airhill »

Set the still up, measure from the top of the pool to the top of the still (head hight) depends how much heat you are pushing in the boiler for water flow.
Link to online store (they have got pricier so check ebay) http://www.rockaroundtheblock.com.au/ca ... .asp?cID=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Not pushing Resun its just most pumps come from China now and are rebrands.

You need a 10m cable and read the specs on flows at various heights. Best to go over on flow capacity (you can always return excess to the pool)

Edit

You have no pump in your pool you can just T off?
Pamulli
Swill Maker

Post by Pamulli »

Mine hasn't seen a lot of use yet, but so far this Sunterra 137016 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002H ... ss_product has worked well and it has an 8ft lift which should be plenty for almost any application.
Cartierusm
Novice

Post by Cartierusm »

Obviously you'd need to find what the sell in australlia, but you don't need anything fancy or super powerful. I've got a 4" column and recirculate my water into 55 gallon barrels, so I don't waste water, and I use a simpe large fountain pump.

Here is what I use http://www.marinedepot.com/Taam_Rio+_14 ... 44-vi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

some times I have to prime it as the run is quite long but it still pushes the water through.

Great idea on the pool, I wish I had a pool.
still crazy
Rumrunner

Post by still crazy »

I think airhills' solution got glossed over.

You must have a filter and that has a return line so if you tee an outlet off that line.
If your not getting enough flow create and obstruction downstream from your tee to make water flow into that line.
Filters running anyhow and you get to drop the return line into the pool and heat the pool.
Daddy used, to say " Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Calculations don't mean shit when compared to the real world practical experience of many...RAD 9/2010
I'm a Soak
Novice

Post by I'm a Soak »

Is your pool salt water chlorinated, if so, ensure the pump you purchase is marine tank (aquarium) suitable.
Salt water and electricity don't mix.
adama_bill
Novice

Post by adama_bill »

Hey C2H6O
I know I'm late with this post to your question; just wanted to ensure we all know that pumps are rated in gallons per hour as if the water was just pumped straight out = not at any height.

So the good pump airhill pointed runs at 87 gallons hour at 6 feet height ~ far less than the 420 gallons advertised in big print.

EDIT:
Oops, I see airhill already told you that ~ sorry for taking up space.

Regards
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

C2H6O wrote:I am looking to get a submersible pump that I can sit in my pool, with the still next to it, so I can just circulate the water from and back into the pool. Has anyone got any recommendations of where I could find a pump for the job? I am in QLD, Australia.

I noticed that Essencia makes one, but it is $150, hoping to get something a lot cheaper than that.

Ideally it would have standard garden hose size connectors, so it will fit without modification.

Cheers.

Supposing you need to top up your pool from to time;

And you can arrange the top-up time to coincide with your stilling time;

no pump needed.
The Baker
C2H6O
Novice

Post by C2H6O »

Thanks for all the info, I have ordered one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0495443157" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow - I will post how it goes, from the info it seems like it should do the job.

Cheers, Mark.