Perfection from the start

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

c33.25det
Novice

Perfection from the start

Post by c33.25det »

kia ora fellow brewers.

i have a 25L super reflux still the older one i think 80%

what are the extra measures i would take to PERFECT my brew . in terms of adding things to the wash cleaning the wash . temperatures , cooking the wash . to my habbits and the way i physically do the brew...on youtube a person said gently pour in yeast me i just fastly pour in while the wash is in a vortex ....do little things like this mattter?? like there is a lot i need to know and its all just beginner knowledge when fermenting what is the numbers 9.90 or 990 or something like that mean .

could you give me your method or i think a link to how you do your still process...
Intoxicated
Novice

Re: Perfection from the start

Post by Intoxicated »

I am pretty much new to distilling, but I'll try and help out as much as I can.

First off, as far as pitching the yeast goes, I don't think it will make much of a difference how you do it. My turbo yeast, which is shunned around here, says to stir the yeast into the wash. It seems to work alright for me. I'll be moving onto the 'All Bran' wash next, which is a highly recommended wash around here, you can find it in the 'Tried & True' section of the forums.

The numbers refer to specific gravity, and you use these numbers to tell if the wash has finished fermenting, It should be around 990 when finished.

Here is the process I have been using, however slightly modified for my future distilling sessions: (This assumes that the wash is done and ready)

1. Pour wash into boiler.
2. Turn on, allow it to reach 50'C before turning on the water. (If using a pump, just turn it on at the start)
3. Once your temperature stabilizes, open the valve.
4. Discard first 100ml of distillate, as this is Methanol and other nasties.
5. Collect the distillate in 200ml increments, using 500ml jars. Number these jars.
6. Once the temperature rises 1'C higher than which it stabilized at, stop collecting.
7. Turn off boiler, leave pump running for bit just to cool it down a little. [If you cut off the water at the same time expect a LOT of fumes]
8. Remove the first 20% and the last 20% of the Jars. Eg. 20 jars, remove first 4 jars and last 4 jars. [This is advice that 'Braz' has given me]
The remaining jars should be pretty sweet, the rest you can save for later to put in the next batch.
9. Place a filter over the top of the jar and leave it to sit for a minimum of 24 hours. I will be leaving mine for 72 hours like recommended by most I have seen. ['Braz']
10. Dilute and enjoy.

Sorry if I included some unnecessary steps, I wanted a nice even '10'.

Hope I have been helpful. Let me know how it goes, hopefully I haven't led you astray :twisted: .

Cheers

Intoxicated :twisted:
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

c33.25det wrote:kia ora fellow brewers.
like there is a lot i need to know and its all just beginner knowledge
could you give me your method or i think a link to how you do your still process...
Hiya and Welcome,
Before anyone smacks you on the nose with a rolled up newspaper, you should probably understand that spoon feeding here is strictly forbidden. You need to go read and create a stable base of knowledge that you can build upon. All the answers to your questions are here and all you need to do is read the forums for a while.
Then you will see that there really is no such thing as perfection and that each of us are continually working to a higher standard. Even an apex distiller will tell you it could be better and most of them will follow that line of thinking. We are continually fussing with flavors, techniques and having fun just looking for that extra percent that can mean the difference between fantastic and OMG! whiskey.
To paraphrase Shakespear:
"If forums be the food of knowledge, Read on..."

Slow down and enjoy the ride. Its worth it.
ScottishBoy
HD Survival in a Nutshell...
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

Agree with you SB.
I was in a big rush when I got started. It was only after I slowed it down some and began to take my time and let the process reveal itself (instead of trying to bend it to fit "what you think it should be") that I started enjoying it more and making better booze.

good luck
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

Kia ora bro :D
Have a look in the new distillers reading lounge (area of the forum). You'll find my guide to running one of those stills (or the variants) in there, as well as a lot of other good information. It's a good place to start.

The bad news is there is a crapload of info to absorb and understand, and there isn't really a shortcut. You've come to the right place though :)
Kiwi
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

<<< Hides his rolled up newspaper and spoon behind his back. >>>

Some yeasts do, in fact, work better when dry sprinkled on top of the wash due to genetics... Some top fermenting yeasts don't multiply as fast when stirred down into the wash... They colonize and work best with their heads out of the water, so to speak... Or is it their asses...??? :roll:

Plenty of great information here for the reading... Soak it up like a sponge...

Good luck...
c33.25det
Novice

Post by c33.25det »

DONT HATE ON ME ...

BUT

im 17 was introduced at 16 by my uncle he showed me his BASIC VERY BASIC WAY then i wanted to perfect . i know the basics but then i came on here and it introduced me to a whole lot of ..wow my uncle never told me this.......or that..

thanks for the first person you helped heaps with the gravity numbers and stuff gave me more of a clue on how to perfect

i now understand the differe

YES I AM KEEN ON LEARNING MY SELF just need you guys who know this site inside out to send me links to helpful topics ill do the reading .

cheers
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Is 17 the legal age in New Zealand...??? If not then you are in violation of Rule #1 of The Rules we live by...
harmca
Novice

Post by harmca »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Guess we need a lawer on Rule #1. LOL
Best to use the same rule the us navy use oversee--- over 21 only---
OR what countrie is the site house at for Legal drinking age minimum

New Zealand
drinking age None
Purchase age 18
There is no minimum drinking age, but all persons under 18 years must be supplied with alcohol only by their parent(s) or legal guardian(s). Usually any person under 18 without a guardian who is found consuming alcohol in a public place will have the drink removed and if intoxicated will be returned to their home, or be held by police until sober. Due to the new "party rule", if there is any person under the age of 18 present while alcohol is being bought in a shop, the shop may refuse to sell the alcohol (unless the person under 18 is the child or dependant of the purchaser).[63]
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I stated "legal age", not "legal drinking age"... If c33.25det is considered a minor in his home country then he is not welcome in these forums, period... There was good reason why it was stated as "legal age"... If 17 is the age of legal adult status in his home country then he can be considered a welcome member unless deemed otherwise by Uncle Jesse, Tater, or the Moderators...
Last edited by rad14701 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

My god people! He list his birth age as 12 in his profile.
How does this get past the registration pages?
Hasnt anyone set up the age filters in the registration routine?
ScottishBoy
HD Survival in a Nutshell...
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.