Hard Cider

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

richard
Novice

Hard Cider

Post by richard » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:54 am

I have 4 gal. of hard cider left over from last year. I would like to run it through the still. Do not know whether to run it in pot or reflux. Any help is appreciated. Has any one tried this before ? Is it worth it. THanks

decomissioned
Novice

Re: Hard Cider

Post by decomissioned » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:10 am

hi richard. distilling hard cider gives you an apple brandy commonly called 'apple jack'. it is not only worth it, but apparently very tasty. You can search around here, there are a few threads that talk about it. I haven't tried it myself but it looks very straight forward and yields a great result.

beelah
Trainee

Post by beelah » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:09 pm

Hey Richard. It depends want you want in the end product and how good of a reflux still you are running.

What the fliks here say and I can speak with some limited experience is if you want more flavour, pot still it, if you want less flacour and more a neutral, then use a reflux.

I have about 6 gallons of plum wine that I am going to cook-off in the next day or two and my plan is to run 5 gallons through my potstill set up doing a stripping run and then run it a second time, but this time running it nice and slow, but also adding the last gallon of plum wine to the stipped run.

What I have read here is that it will inhance the flavour of the final product, giving it a more pronounced fruit nose and taste. Slivovitz by anothe name.

I will let you know how the runns go.

Cornbread
Swill Maker
Location: I age it in the woods & bottle it in the barn. Why do ya wanna know?

Post by Cornbread » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:04 pm

richard wrote:I have 4 gal. of hard cider left over from last year. I would like to run it through the still. Do not know whether to run it in pot or reflux. Any help is appreciated. Has any one tried this before ? Is it worth it. THanks
I tell you what I did with it & it was good. I froze it in empty milk jugs then turned them bottom-side-upwards over quart bottles or big glasses and let the "alcohol" drain & the frozen water stay up in the jug. Only thing wrong is you still get the bad stuff like foreshots.........but hellfire, a headache a year is worth it!
Moonshine ain't nothing but lots of love and goodness distilled into liquid. It will love you like a big woman wearing a straw hat

Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:27 pm

You might want to take a look at my cider adventures in this thread: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 38&t=17117

I just put two more 5 gal. batches down to ferment, this time using EC1118 yeast. I will run this in the pot still to make an apple brandy. You could also run it in a reflux to make apple vodka. I visited a micro distillery in NY state earlier this month and that is what they make. The vodka had a bit of apple smell but no apple taste.
Braz