distilling wine

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rumrunner
Novice

distilling wine

Post by rumrunner »

buddy of mines father in law has 20 gallons of differnt flavors of wine he whats me to run in my pot still, would i run it like i do my ujsm, with the same cuts , and if i do can i use the back set to make something else. like flavored whiskey or vodka
racepres
Novice

Re: distilling wine

Post by racepres »

I have done it. Even ran some "fortified" wine once!
Never did anything w/ backsets. I don't prefer spirits from fruit, but, I have friends whom do indeed prefer it, and one in fact Only runs wine thru his apparatus!
RP

Edit: watch for Pulp. Makes a mess, filter thru at least coffee filter!
Last edited by racepres on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As-Ol-Joe
Swill Maker

Post by As-Ol-Joe »

I like to distill grape wine then set it on oak for a while. It makes a pretty good brandy. I make the same cuts as I do for UJSM. Not sure about the back set.
You WILL get addicted to this forum.

The Parent site is REQUIRED READING!!!
rumrunner
Novice

Post by rumrunner »

did you do your normal cuts, fores,heads, hearts, tails, did smell change like whiskey
racepres
Novice

Post by racepres »

Did cuts the same... but My smeller aint the best, I go by taste... more fun by the end of a run anyway!!!
RP
rumrunner
Novice

Post by rumrunner »

cool i will get that set up and see what happens,he has some peaech wine i would think that would be interresting as back set to ujsm,but ive been wrong before
racepres
Novice

Post by racepres »

Have fun w/ it... but check for that "vinegar" taste if was stored improperly.. makes nasty hooch for me.
And like I say... watch for the darn pulp..
RP
Edit: that peach sounds interesting... LMK how it goes. OK
Last edited by racepres on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rumrunner
Novice

Post by rumrunner »

cool thanks
As-Ol-Joe
Swill Maker

Post by As-Ol-Joe »

Wines make for an interesting drink. One thing about it, if you don't like it you can blend it with something else and re-distill it.
You WILL get addicted to this forum.

The Parent site is REQUIRED READING!!!
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

save the feints from it and use it in the next batch. It really deepens the flavor of it.
SwineOnShine
Novice

Post by SwineOnShine »

This is the next project on my list. After I get about 10 gallons of UJSSM ageing on oak, I'm gonna try to make some hillbilly "cognac". I'm going to use Colombard grape juice (concentrate from Alexanders, Colombard is one of the primary grape varietals used for some cognacs, BTW) to make up a few batches, enough to get a few gallons of product to test out. This is an expensive way to go about things, but it's worth a shot. Alexanders Colombard runs around $13 a can, which cost me about $120 for enough for four 5 gallon washes. Since I don't have access to french oak trees, I'm planning on using commercial heavy toast french oak cubes, which I will char a bit as well. (When I make my whisky/corn liqour, I toast my oak @400F for 4 hours then char as well, much like the traditional whisky barrels are made.) I'm antsy to try this one, but I got a few more rounds of UJSSM to go through first, plus a spirit run of single malt whisky I need to do. So little time *SIGH*. I'm hoping to come out with something that is a fine brandy in the end.