Parrort's Beak

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Parrort's Beak

Post by Boda Getta »

I mentioned in an earlier post this date what a great resource my new Parrot's Beak is ; it is a huge improvement over the old way I was checking proof.

BG

MOD EDIT: Off topic material removed. Please do not advertise whether deliberately or inadvertantly in forums. There is a dedicated forum for classifieds.
Last edited by blanikdog on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: off topic
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Parrort's Beak

Post by Smokehouse Shiner »

Yes I believe most everyone here is aware of freespirited's little "business". Seems to have slowed down quite a bit... So, did he build your parrot? Wouldn't it be more reasonable to post a response in his for sale thread? Or too much bad press there? :think: No matter, enjoy your parrot freesp-I mean, boda getta.
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Is a Beak needed for a pot still? I don't own one but I think if I was running a neutral machine I might like one.
I do all my own stunts
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

IMO it's not really needed for a potstill. I built one awhile back just for fun and gave it to a buddy after one run with it. About as useful as a thermometer to me. I only use a hydro for exact dilution or checking how close I am at reading the bead.
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Thanks, that's what I thought.
I do all my own stunts
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Smokehouse Shiner:

"Yes I believe most everyone here is aware of freespirited's little "business". Seems to have slowed down quite a bit... So, did he build your parrot? Wouldn't it be more reasonable to post a response in his for sale thread? Or too much bad press there? :think: No matter, enjoy your parrot freesp-I mean, boda getta."

I thought it appropriate to post here because I mentioned the Parrot in my "Things This Newbi has Learned". You seem to have some kind of problem with freespirited; I don't know you, I don't know freespirited. If there is friction between the two of you it should not be voiced here. Handle it with PM's between the two of you. I checked out his sale thread in Classfied and saw no "bad press". Rad did question the volume, but the other comments were positive.

By your "enjoy your parrot freesp-I mean, boda getta" comment are you implying I am freespirited shilling for his product?

Boda Getta
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

boda getta wrote:By your "enjoy your parrot freesp-I mean, boda getta" comment are you implying I am freespirited shilling for his product?
That's exactly what I'm implying.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Smokehouse:

That accusation is absolutely false. I challenge you to substantiate this charge or apologize. Site Donor or not, it is poor form to falsely accuse another Forum member.

Boda Getta
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Smokehouse Shiner wrote:
boda getta wrote:By your "enjoy your parrot freesp-I mean, boda getta" comment are you implying I am freespirited shilling for his product?
That's exactly what I'm implying.
I have looked at the messages coming from both FS and BG. I am 100% sure they are both different people. The IP's that both of them are posting from are pretty standard 'semi-fixed' IPs (likely DSL or cable modem users). They are in different parts of the US. But it is obvious, they are 2 separate people.

Boda may have been out of line, posting advertising outside of the classified section. However, that is a newer rule on the board, we put together to try to keep the adds out of normal forum posts, and concentrate them into classifieds. Thus when users are browsing the classifieds, they expect adds and will see them, but while on the rest of the board, we are trying to keep them add free. But like i said, this is a newer rule, and we as moderators have not really beat the drum too much about this new rule, and are more handling this on a case by case basis, educating users to it.

Now, I would like to ask, SS, since you have made this accusation, and even followed up after being explicitly asked if this was your intent, what proof do you have to back this up? I understand fully about having a gut feeling about someone on the forum, I often do myself. But from going from a gut feeling, to a public post/accusation, is a big step. It can really do damage to some people. This is the reason for some of the rules we have.

I have a personal story about false accusations. I personally have a pretty tough hide, and can pretty much shrug off anything anyone says. However, several years ago, on another forum (sort of a goal oriented or 'contest' like oriented site) which I was a new 'rising star', full of piss and vinegar. I was accused of some cheating. I was devastated. I can hardly believe it myself, that it affected me like that, but it did. Without that incident I experienced myself, I would find it hard to believe that such a simple typed single sentence by some other user I did not even know, could affect me so drastically, but it did.

There have certainly been a couple rules which were busted in this thread. So, lets cool our heads a little, and continue forward with distillation talk. A flame war :thumbdown: :thumbdown: is NOT wanted!

In the future, if there are posts needing dealt with (such as someone advertising, either blatantly, or inadvertently, very off topic, personal accusations, starts of flame wars, etc), then ANY user has the ability to flag it, and leave a message for one of the moderators to deal with it. To flag a post, simply click on the little button with the exclamation point ! which should be on any post. The flagging of a post is not seen by users, but it relays information to the moderation staff, and will be looked at.

That is part of the job of the moderators, to clean up and fix threads that are not going the right direct. We (mods) are also used to, and in the position of dealing with users who may not always feel that their post was off topic or off rules, and want to blow off steam about it. We as mods get this from time to time. However, when it happens between 2 (or more) users in the open forum, the results are almost never good.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Husker:
Thank you for this post. I have asked Smokehouse Shiner to apologize; I hope he does. Regardless, I will drop any future mention of this subject and get back to trying to learn this craft. Shortly I will begin my first cut/blending exercise. Wish me luck.

Boda Getta
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

boda getta wrote:Shortly I will begin my first cut/blending exercise. Wish me luck.
Good luck, that is a skill that takes practice, but what really makes the difference between a bad, a good, and a great final product.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Husker wrote:
boda getta wrote:Shortly I will begin my first cut/blending exercise. Wish me luck.
Good luck, that is a skill that takes practice, but what really makes the difference between a bad, a good, and a great final product.

H.
Second that, if it's your first attempt I would suggest following the tutorial here on the forum for making cuts once you have a few under your belt then you can take shortcuts. The hardest part until you start getting a stock built up is not being greedy. Good Luck!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Thanks, Husker,
That little '!' was a bit of a mystery to me, until now.
The Baker
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

It is a great tool.

NOTE, there are a lot of threads/posts lately. Yes, we do have several moderators, but if users themselves can help out a little, and give a nudge when there is something that you are pretty sure is way out of line, it will help to clean things up quicker. Note, we do not want the flagging to be abused, but members usually know when something is way out of whack. Also, we do not expect the board to be sanitized and sterile, but we also would like to keep the number of volcanic flaming threads to a minimum, and to help keep good threads from getting hijacked and taken off topic.

H.
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

boda getta, once again I truly apologize for my accusations and attacks on you. Husker has given real evidence, of which I had none, that shows the accusations were and are false. I was very innebriated when I posted all this last night but that is absolutely no excuse for my actions. I was just talking out of my ass and I hope you don't let my behavior deter you from continuing here at HD. I also once again apologize to the other members here for starting this whole mess. It won't happen again.
Husker I apologize to you for having to step in and moderate this thread. You did a very tactful and thorough job of it. Thank you for putting me in check. I guess we all need it sometimes.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Smokehouse:
Thank you for this post and I accept your apology. As mentioned, I have read many of your past posts and respect your knowledge of this craft. As I move forward in learning still craft I look forward to your advice.

Boda Getta
freespirited
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by freespirited »

BG sorry you got the hassle. We are definetly not the same person.

Glad to see I was missed! Not really sure why I get the cold shoulder here. Especially from members who I have never even come across. I only tried to make all of my own items to help keep the costs down. I too just like everyone else here am tryin to learn new things. I only came here to get help, I am new to this and cannot really give help in return. From the moment I did so I have received neg and rude PM's and comments. While mine were probably over the top they were in defense, not the otehr way around. Sorry to whomever I p!ssed off. The only reason for selling those was to help others who could not afford (like myself) or make one for themselves. I would have followed the rules as far as having enough posts to use the classifieds but instead I found it much easier just to read than to deal with the results of what came from my posts. Even my classifieds were attacked when I was within forum rules. I was definetly here just QUIETLY! I hope things can be different, I only left because I am too busy in the summer to mess with this hobby. I race cars and own a construction company. Winter is my down time. I will be in need of my wiser friends here throughout the winter.