Calling the rum-essence experts!

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Crunched
Novice

Calling the rum-essence experts!

Post by Crunched » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:29 pm

I've managed to find an rum essence to mix with my neutral that tastes very close to what I am after, however I'm now finding that my neutral isn't harsh enough for the purpose. I drink rum & coke, and I'm ending up having to mix almost twice as much of this rum with my coke otherwise the drink just tastes like coke.

What can I do to give my neutral more bite to cut through the coke? My current batch was run through my reflux still and carbon filter twice, then essence was added.

Or is it really worth going to molasses? If so, do I need to age on oak as well?

LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: Calling the rum-essence experts!

Post by LWTCS » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:20 am

There are several rum recipes here.
In many ways the rums can be quite easy to put together.. They are kinda "Bull Frog" tough.

If I wanted rum,,,, I'd make a rum.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.

boda getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by boda getta » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:25 am

I'm not a Run guy (yet) but how about using a higher proof neutral.

Good luck
BG

rubber duck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubber duck » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:25 am

Well if you want to make rum just make rum. If you can do a neutral sugar wash you can certainly make a wash out of molasses.

There is no point in going to all the trouble of making a neutral and then trying to turn it into something it's not. Basic rum is probably the easiest thing to make.

So my answer to using essence is don't.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck

rad14701
Master Distiller

Post by rad14701 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:51 pm

You could try running your still a bit off neutral, making the spirits a bit "dirtier", by collecting a bit faster which will increase the vapor temperature and reduce the %ABV... I do this with my LM still to get a lower %ABV while gaining some flavor... I haven't recently because I've been running in pot still mode which still gives me close to 60% if I run slow... At least one other member was experimenting with running a Bokakob dual slant plate faster and only partially detuned a while back... Equalize, pull the foreshots, and then open it up to hybrid mode, between reflux and pot still...

But making rum in a pot still, or full pot still mode, would be your best bet...