How much alcool to get from 3 Litters of Red Wine

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

sharkosharko
Novice

How much alcool to get from 3 Litters of Red Wine

Post by sharkosharko »

I've got some basics question about distillation :
Hi,

1. Have you got an idea about which quantity of alcool (in volume) is expected when distilling 3 Liters of wine in a standard pot still (the same as this one : http://homedistiller.org/image/alembic2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow) ?

2. If I've well understood it is needed
. to wait for the 60°C to come
. then fill the condensator with cold water
. begin to collect when the temporature comes to 78°C
. Stop to collect when it arrive to 92°C

Normally I should have : 7.5 ml of head. Is it ? (If I base the computation about 50 ml per 20 liters)

3. Have you got an idea about the time it will take to extract the alcool from this wine ?

4. If I've well understood again, it will result of lot of water & stuffs inside the pot. Will it be a good idea to leave this stuff to be colder and then try to distillate it ?

Regards,
sharko.
banter_king
Swill Maker

Re: How much alcool to get from 3 Litters of Red Wine

Post by banter_king »

welcome. There are some good calculators on the parent site that should help you out with measurements. I feel from your question that you haven't done to much research. I would recommend reading on here for a while and the answers to your questions and soooo much more will all be answered. Also you will be much more knowledgeable and ready when it comes time to run that pretty looking still you got there.

I would say the new distillers reading lounge would be a great place to start as well as find your answers.
Knee deep in the cool and soothing waters of ol' Cripple Creek
theholymackerel
retired

Re: How much alcool to get from 3 Litters of Red Wine

Post by theholymackerel »

3 litres of wine at 10% abv would yeild 0.3 litres of distillate.

NB: There always is loss/waste. Trying to get ALL the alcohol will only leave you twisting the tigers tail...