Mead plus Turbo's

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BurnerJust
Novice

Mead plus Turbo's

Post by BurnerJust »

With so much information to process looking back through all the posts my eyes start burning before I find what i'm looking for.

Will turbo yeast have a batch of mead ready to distill by Saturday if I batch it tomorrow?

I ask this question because i've assumed a few things based on what I've read (which could be totally wrong). Honey alone isn't enough nutrient for the yeast, turbo's have everything it needs and turbo's will ferment a mash quickly, some within a few days.

Thoughts? You can call me retarded if you want.....I'm here to learn and enjoy the spoils of my new hobby.
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: Mead plus Turbo's

Post by Prairiepiss »

I would not recommend wasting good expensive honey on a turbo. Mead takes time. I'm afraid the turbo will mess up what flavors you would want out of a mead. If you need to use the turbo just use it with sugar. Honey can be fermented with little nutrient additions. But its the sugars in the honey that make it slow. But also what makes it good.

This is not the hobby to be in for rushing. Maybe if you were making fuel. But not a good drink.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
BurnerJust
Novice

Post by BurnerJust »

Good point.

I'll get some champagne yeast for the mead. The local home brew store sells yeast nutrient, can you suggest anything else to make sure it ferments properly, and what how long should the fermentation take?
BurnerJust
Novice

Post by BurnerJust »

I"ll also be using my pot still with a 90 degree arm.....should I go with something sloped down for more flavor, or will the 90 degree give me enough flavor?

Thanks again
Large Sarge
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Large Sarge »

Hmm.... Distilling mead. I've had it once but I didn't make it and didn't really care for it. I much preferred the traditional mead. But as Mr. Piss said, mead is gonna take you some time to get'er done. honey ferments slow. Worth it in the end in my opinion.
If you look like food, don't be surprised when you get eaten.
myles
retired

Post by myles »

I am a big fan of mead, although for me it is usually in the form of melomel !! Fermentation is SLOW, often 6 months at low temperatures, with the honey added in stages. Whilst I can see why you might fortify a mead, I don't think I would distill one.
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

http://www.stormthecastle.com/mead/mead-recipes.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
USACelt
Bootlegger

Post by USACelt »

Last mead I bottled took 60 days to ferment. with muiltuple rackings.
Honey is kinda high $$$ to use in a mash for distilling I think. but to each his own.
Ní uasal aon uasal ach sinne bheith íseal: Éirímis.(Séamas Ó Lorcáin)

The great appear great because we are on our knees: Let us rise.(Big Jim Larkin)
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

I have distilled mead, a melomel to be specific, and ya it was damned expensive, but it is an absolutely heavenly drink. I only drink it on special occasions.

I would absolutely not use a trubo, you will ruin the mead. I think its gotmead.com that is an excellent site for meads of all kinds, check there for proper nutrients and yeasts.

My meads generally take 3-4 months to ferment out. For a good mead cool fermenting is necessary and a turbo definitely doesn't qualify there.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Jasper
Novice

Post by Jasper »

Don't you dare use Turbo!

Mead fermentations can be sped up without ruining it - but a week is crazy talk. Those poor flying stingy bastards are worth more than that.

If you are into mead for mead's sake check this out. Mead is all about nutrient additions and ph control. Last one i made was an orange vanilla mead (dreamsicle) that was basically done with primary fermentation in about 3 weeks (OG of 1.120 and FG of 1.008). Seriously ph - is key here - low PH makes sluggish yeast (which is why most people think it takes 6 months to make a good mead). It takes a bit longer to mellow in flavor... but that can be done in secondary or bottles.
myles
retired

Post by myles »

I tend to ferment my mead in the autumn and winter. I don't use heat and It often sits at 5 to 10 deg C in one of the outbuildings. I have the space so I don't mind how long it takes, and recently I have been using a bottom fermenting ale yeast. It works for me. I have fermented it like a wine, inside the house and warmer, it is just an issue of convenience.