Scored Half Keg Sanky

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Scored Half Keg Sanky

Post by Boda Getta »

Went by one of my local beer distributors this morning looking for a half keg to "build a small grill for my pontoon boat". The warehouseman found one that was a little dented and asked "how about this one for free". I dropped him some lunch by later. A half keg for the price of a lunch ain't bad. I plan on using it for small spirit runs and as a thumper for large runs.

BG
fullhouse
Rumrunner

Re: Scored Half Keg Sanky

Post by fullhouse »

WTG! sure cant beat the price! :thumbup:
3' Essential Extractor PSII High Capacity (Brewhaus) on gas,recirculating 60 gal olive barrel for cooling
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for ~ Socrates
Uncle Artie
Novice

Post by Uncle Artie »

Dude, that is awesome.
Just getting started, trying not to be another idiot building a poison mill.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Frankly, I've been puzzled reading posts here about guys have had such a hard time finding keg at a reasonable cost. I live in the SE and my town of around 40,000 has three beer distributors. I have gotten 4-5 kegs (some for friends) from them in the past 1 1/2 years and the most I have paid is $40.00 for a 15.5 gal. I was given another 15.5 gal keg for free last year. It was a Bass Ale keg that was returned to this distributor by mistake and was just taking up their space. When I got it home I discovered it had an European type valve instead of a sanky, but with a little work I got the bayonet out and had to weld a sanky flange on, but it works great. I suggest trying the distributors first, I just walk into the warehouse and find the warehouse guy; you will see pallets of empty kegs everywhere, waiting to be sent back to the beer companies. These distributors pay a deposit on each keg, and pass the deposit on to the customers, the deposit is refunded when the keg is returned empty. They always have kegs that are returned to them by mistake, a little dented, ect. that they really have no use for. I am always courteous and tell the guy what I need and offer to pay the deposit price. Tell them you want the keg to make a BBQ grill, a gas tank on a dune buggy or whatever. The worst that can happen is they say no; it's time then to go to another distributor and try them. I was turned down at one distributor, then went a few months, talked to another guy and left with a keg. Costs nothing to try.

Good luck
BG