Ok i feel dumb Asking but i have to.

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

vance71975
Bootlegger

Ok i feel dumb Asking but i have to.

Post by vance71975 »

Okay, I know that Scotch is distilled from Barley, Rum is distilled from Molasses, Moonshine is distilled from Corn Mash,Potatoes Distilled Produce Vodka, all fermented of course, but here is where i feel dumb, Any and all of them, when fermented produce Ethanol, Correct? If they all Produce Ethanol, what is the difference WHICH one you distill?
Meaning, If all of them are Ethanol, and your Distilling the Ethanol out, don't you just end up with Distilled Ethanol? What is the difference that makes Scotch and Vodka taste totally Different?
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Ok i feel dumb Asking but i have to.

Post by King Of Hearts »

vance71975 wrote:Okay, I know that Scotch is distilled from Barley, Rum is distilled from Molasses, Moonshine is distilled from Corn Mash,Potatoes Distilled Produce Vodka, all fermented of course, but here is where i feel dumb, Any and all of them, when fermented produce Ethanol, Correct? If they all Produce Ethanol, what is the difference WHICH one you distill?
Meaning, If all of them are Ethanol, and your Distilling the Ethanol out, don't you just end up with Distilled Ethanol? What is the difference that makes Scotch and Vodka taste totally Different?
Hi Vance, there are still flavors from the wash what ever it is, the more times you distill it the less flavors there will be until none at all. There are vodka's made from red winter wheat as as well as rye, potato, and more I'm not aware of, and whiskeys are made from any grains as well.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

The distinctive flavors carried over from whatever the main fermentable ingredients is what makes the difference. And the way it is distilled will change how much those flavors carry over.

You can't get 100% ethanol out of it. 96% is about the limit. So there is 4% left to carry over flavors. Not to mention the ethanol will carry over some to. The more times you run it the less flavors will carry over. Same with how much you reflux it.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
vance71975
Bootlegger

Post by vance71975 »

Prairiepiss wrote:The distinctive flavors carried over from whatever the main fermentable ingredients is what makes the difference. And the way it is distilled will change how much those flavors carry over.

You can't get 100% ethanol out of it. 96% is about the limit. So there is 4% left to carry over flavors. Not to mention the ethanol will carry over some to. The more times you run it the less flavors will carry over. Same with how much you reflux it.

Well i use an Air Still, so i don't think i can even "reflux it" can i?
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

No but you can run it more then once. All depends on what you are wanting to make? Basically you have a pot still. Not a great one. But it is a pot still. So you should be looking at how to run a lot still for different kinds of spirits. And really its all about personal preference on how you run it. Some like it this way some like it that way. There is many ways to skin this cat.

One thing that will hamper your ability to make a great spirit will be. The fact that its so small and you won't be able to make good cuts. Another place flavors come in.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

also

Post by pfshine »

also ageing comes into play what you age it on or not at all. a pot still run hard and fast will have lower abv and more flavor(and smeared heads hearts and tails) run slow and low, higher abv easy cuts a little less flavor but more defined( and less hangover)
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: also

Post by Prairiepiss »

pfshine wrote:also ageing comes into play what you age it on or not at all. a pot still run hard and fast will have lower abv and more flavor(and smeared heads hearts and tails) run slow and low, higher abv easy cuts a little less flavor but more defined( and less hangover)
Problem with that is. He has no control over how fast or slow he runs it. That still doesn't normally work like that. More of a set it forget it still. Which you should never do. It should be manned at all times. No mater what still it is.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
vance71975
Bootlegger

Post by vance71975 »

Prairiepiss wrote:
pfshine wrote:also ageing comes into play what you age it on or not at all. a pot still run hard and fast will have lower abv and more flavor(and smeared heads hearts and tails) run slow and low, higher abv easy cuts a little less flavor but more defined( and less hangover)
Problem with that is. He has no control over how fast or slow he runs it. That still doesn't normally work like that. More of a set it forget it still. Which you should never do. It should be manned at all times. No mater what still it is.
Well it does get watched at all times! Cause right now, i am fermenting through some less that perfect batches of beer, and it has a tendancy to boil over so i have to watch it and make sure i am getting a good run.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

boo to no controll

Post by pfshine »

Yeah saw that. maybe he could plug unplug really fast to get the heat where he wants it :sarcasm:
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
vance71975
Bootlegger

Post by vance71975 »

Prairiepiss wrote:No but you can run it more then once. All depends on what you are wanting to make? Basically you have a pot still. Not a great one. But it is a pot still. So you should be looking at how to run a lot still for different kinds of spirits. And really its all about personal preference on how you run it. Some like it this way some like it that way. There is many ways to skin this cat.

One thing that will hamper your ability to make a great spirit will be. The fact that its so small and you won't be able to make good cuts. Another place flavors come in.

What do you mean by "cuts"? I discard a shot glass full when it first starts dripping, i don't know if that is a "cut" or not?
vance71975
Bootlegger

Post by vance71975 »

What do you mean Smeared Heads? Isn't the Head the first ounce or so that you throw away? What is a Heart? and what is a tail? i dont know all the terminology yet. I was in the Navy, i don't get Hang Overs lol
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

thats the foreshot cut then you need to differenciate between heads hearts and tails read this http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=11640 .
I was in the corps myself. so I didnt get much of one either but after following these instructions nothin but a tiny bit thirsty in the morning.
beowoulfe
Novice

Post by beowoulfe »

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it."
--Mark Twain
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

the harder you run the less separation there is so it can mix all together.
this happens with a pot still any way but not as much when run slow.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

vance71975, if you are asking such basic questions you aren't ready to be running a still yet... That's the plain and simple truth... You owe it to yourself to do enough research to know the basics before proceeding... You wouldn't climb into and airplane, fire it up, head down the runway, have it lift off, and then try to figure out how to fly and land it... We have ample resources freely available so take full advantage of them... We can't hand hold you at every step of the way, you're supposed to understand what to expect and how to handle specific situations... It'll all come together...
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

search

Post by pfshine »

The advanced search box is on the top right of the page.It is a very useful tool when you have a question. It will be your best friend.
vance71975
Bootlegger

Post by vance71975 »

rad14701 wrote:vance71975, if you are asking such basic questions you aren't ready to be running a still yet... That's the plain and simple truth... You owe it to yourself to do enough research to know the basics before proceeding... You wouldn't climb into and airplane, fire it up, head down the runway, have it lift off, and then try to figure out how to fly and land it... We have ample resources freely available so take full advantage of them... We can't hand hold you at every step of the way, you're supposed to understand what to expect and how to handle specific situations... It'll all come together...
Well i do understand the basic concept there are just little things, that in my current money situation that i have to ask here, since i cant afford to order books at the present time. Not to mention, if it they are anything like beer brewing books, you will get 100s of conflicting statements. I find it best to just cut to the chase and ask the men and women that do it about these things as apposed to trying to decide which book is right and which is outdated or has conflicting information.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Seems to me that in the case of Vodka, regardless what its made from, the distinction is that it is a neutral. It is distilled and re-distilled until all the favor is gone and you are left with a neutral spirit.

In the case of the whiskeys the biggest variable is, not what the base mast was made from, but rather how and how long it was aged.

BG
fullhouse
Rumrunner

Post by fullhouse »

books are not needed..all the info u need is within this forum and i waoul guess all of the question u could ask have already been asked its just a use of the tool that has been provided...there are 2 diff ways to search this forum and both of them will be a good friend to u! good luck and do some more reasearch bro :thumbup:
3' Essential Extractor PSII High Capacity (Brewhaus) on gas,recirculating 60 gal olive barrel for cooling
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for ~ Socrates
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

fullhouse wrote:books are not needed..all the info u need is within this forum and i waoul guess all of the question u could ask have already been asked its just a use of the tool that has been provided...there are 2 diff ways to search this forum and both of them will be a good friend to u! good luck and do some more reasearch bro :thumbup:
+1

This is the only resource you should need unless you are looking to do more in depth research into certain theories about things like yeast that aren't covered in detail here in these forums or on the parent site... The point is to get the basics down rather that learn in Hit-N-Miss fashion...
vance71975
Bootlegger

Post by vance71975 »

rad14701 wrote:
fullhouse wrote:books are not needed..all the info u need is within this forum and i waoul guess all of the question u could ask have already been asked its just a use of the tool that has been provided...there are 2 diff ways to search this forum and both of them will be a good friend to u! good luck and do some more reasearch bro :thumbup:
+1

This is the only resource you should need unless you are looking to do more in depth research into certain theories about things like yeast that aren't covered in detail here in these forums or on the parent site... The point is to get the basics down rather that learn in Hit-N-Miss fashion...
Trust me, you will never see me ask about yeast strain or the actual fermentation of the wash, I make ask how a certain wash will taste when distilled, but fermentation i know very very very well, i am, after all, a published brewing author. Not to mention i have been doing home wine making for 18+ years.
onthekeg
Novice

Post by onthekeg »

vance71975 wrote:
rad14701 wrote:
+1

Trust me, you will never see me ask about yeast strain or the actual fermentation of the wash, I make ask how a certain wash will taste when distilled, but fermentation i know very very very well, i am, after all, a published brewing author. Not to mention i have been doing home wine making for 18+ years.
Its also much different brewing beer and making a wash.
vance71975
Bootlegger

Post by vance71975 »

onthekeg wrote:
vance71975 wrote:
rad14701 wrote:
+1

Its also much different brewing beer and making a wash.
I don't see how its so different, Mash the grain for complete conversion, boil without adding hops, cool and pitch yeast. Only real differences i see are you aim for complete conversion and you don't use hops.
astronomical
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by astronomical »

boda getta wrote:Seems to me that in the case of Vodka, regardless what its made from, the distinction is that it is a neutral. It is distilled and re-distilled until all the favor is gone and you are left with a neutral spirit.

In the case of the whiskeys the biggest variable is, not what the base mast was made from, but rather how and how long it was aged.

BG
I can easily distinguish corn, oat, rye, barley, and other mashes that I've made and distilled at +95% (from stripping runs). Its subtle, but, I could drink a dram of each and name 'em properly every time. I will admit that I've spent time practicing refining my palette and others may not identify tastes as well. The word "neutral" is used rather loosely.

I'd agree that oak is a large part of [oaked] whiskies flavor, but, rye is rye and corn is corn. Its another case where I could pick them in a line up. The oak may end of being a large part of the final flavor, however, some of the flavors of the oaking are products of lactones interacting with esters from the base..

thats my taste anyhow
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

vance71975 wrote:I don't see how its so different, Mash the grain for complete conversion, boil without adding hops, cool and pitch yeast. Only real differences i see are you aim for complete conversion and you don't use hops.
You will when you don't boil, you must have missed that part in your research.
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

vance71975 wrote: Meaning, If all of them are Ethanol, and your Distilling the Ethanol out, don't you just end up with Distilled Ethanol? What is the difference that makes Scotch and Vodka taste totally Different?
Obviously there are major differences between the wash of scotch, Russian vodka, tequila, and rum, but don't discount the aging methods in oak barrels that also provide additional flavors to rums, tequila, and whiskeys. Vodka isn't aged in an oak barrel...I assume its just aged in SST or glass.
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
vance71975
Bootlegger

Post by vance71975 »

King Of Hearts wrote:
vance71975 wrote:I don't see how its so different, Mash the grain for complete conversion, boil without adding hops, cool and pitch yeast. Only real differences i see are you aim for complete conversion and you don't use hops.
If you do not boil you run the risk of ending up with 5 gallons of Malt Vinegar. Boiling is needed to kill all the nasties on the grain that can ruin your beer or wash. If you want to do it without boiling be my guest, that is not a risk i will take.
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

vance71975 wrote:
King Of Hearts wrote:
If you do not boil you run the risk of ending up with 5 gallons of Malt Vinegar. Boiling is needed to kill all the nasties on the grain that can ruin your beer or wash. If you want to do it without boiling be my guest, that is not a risk i will take.
I have and I will continue, as well as most other whiskey makers here. Your not making beer here, you understand that much right? 145 degrees for 30 mins will pasturize milk. A typical mash will got 1 to 1.5 hrs or more.
vance71975
Bootlegger

Post by vance71975 »

King Of Hearts wrote:
vance71975 wrote:
King Of Hearts wrote:
I have and I will continue, as well as most other whiskey makers here. Your not making beer here, you understand that much right? 145 degrees for 30 mins will pasturize milk. A typical mash will got 1 to 1.5 hrs or more.
166 for an extended period is needed to kill Acetorbactor the bacteria that makes Vinegar, and yes i am well aware your not talking about beer making, but common sanitation practices are just common sense, even if it isn't a full 60 min boil, it should boil for at least 20 mins, just to ensure all bacteria are dead. The reason milk can be pasteurized at a lower temp is because the sugar in milk, Lactose is not fermentable by MOST yeast and bacteria and the bacteria that WILL ferment or "spoil" milk die at a lower temp than acetorbactor.

Sour Mashing, Can also be done in Beer making, and even that gets boiled after the 4 day mash to ensure that the bacteria are dead BEFORE fermentation that way they do not convert the Alcohol into acid and turn your sour beer into vinegar. When making ANY drink at home, be it beer,wine, or spirits, you should be following basic Sanitation practices, Its just not worth the risk of a totally wasted batch of wash.

Lets put it like this, lets say you do up a wash your way, and Real life happens, you get busy and you cant get to distilling it for say 3 weeks, Maybe a family emergency comes up, How pissed are you gonna be when you pop the top on your wash and find out that it has ALL turned to vinegar because you didn't bother to take the 20 mins to boil it?

Better safe than sorry i always say.
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

The Scotch makers are gonna be pissed when they find out they've been doing it wrong for 150 years.