something that was said on moonshiners

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jim81147
Bootlegger

something that was said on moonshiners

Post by jim81147 »

I was wondering if anybody knew this to be accurate or not . It was said on an episode last week that distilling was a misdemeanor but distribution was a felony . Does anyone know if this is true?
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: something that was said on moonshiners

Post by Dnderhead »

its a felony in all of US.
You could be looking at a considerable jail time and fines, varying specifically by your state. But you are looking at a fine of up to $10,000 and up to five years in jail for only one offense of making moonshine, even if you don't sell it.
and also depending on state they could also hit you.and more if you sale..the selling part depends how much you have.
if you have enough its considered "intent to sale"..
Last edited by Dnderhead on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whiskeyD
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskeyD »

Sadly, distilling is a felony. It is 5 years in jail AND $10,000 fine per offense. I think one day homedistilling will be legal, but probably not in my lifetime.
Darek Bell, Owner & Distiller
Corsair Distillery
Soggy Bottom Boy
Rumrunner
Location: Somewhere to the north of the.. ..Peoples Яepublik of Kalifoяnia

Post by Soggy Bottom Boy »

Oh gosh yes! I believe everything that is said on totally scripted "reality shows". [/sarcasm]

Good God man, some critical thinking is in order! Unless you have a valid distilling permit from the TTB, and a State license for distilling alcohol, you are committing a felony.
"Well, ......I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!" ...Ulysses Everett McGill

"Good thing you found HD. It's like the mythbusters of distilling." ...Prairiepiss
jim81147
Bootlegger

Post by jim81147 »

Soggy Bottom Boy wrote:Oh gosh yes! I believe everything that is said on totally scripted "reality shows". [/sarcasm]

Good God man, some critical thinking is in order! Unless you have a valid distilling permit from the TTB, and a State license for distilling alcohol, you are committing a felony.

This is exactly why I was asking , because I dont know , am not a lawyer , and had never heard that before . I guess that in itself does not qualify as critical thinking :(
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

depends how bad they want to make a example of you,they also can confiscate your house/land the and if you have guns in house that can also can be added.most times they don't do this to but they could.most they charge with tax evasion.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I think it's fair to assume that distilling would be more likely to get plead down to a misdemeanor that transporting... But you know what they say about assumptions... Don't get caught and you won't have to worry about it... :ewink:
hwy419
Novice

Post by hwy419 »

Soggy Bottom Boy wrote:Oh gosh yes! I believe everything that is said on totally scripted "reality shows". [/sarcasm]

Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmx4twCK3_I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Priceless... Just Priceless...
“Quality is never an accident;
it is always the result of high intention, sincere
effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution;
it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.”
-William A. Foster
Dan Call
Swill Maker

Post by Dan Call »

I think those glorious morons on the Discovery channel show have done all serious distillers a favor by making the whole affair look 300 times more stupid
and complicated than it is. On the other hand, they actually reported on the show that someone got busted with moonshine "because the guys on the show
made it look easy." Probably part of the script. The guys on the show make it look like the most hazardous activity on the planet. And they never, ever
talk about the mechanics of distilling.....probably because they can't. As a result, they have to jazz up all the secondary activities like blasting and digging to put a still underground and to dramatize these total morons like Jim Tom who make distillers look like retarded idiots. Okay, fine, you go right ahead and give everyone that idea, that takes the focus off of the people who know what they are doing and quietly do it, enjoy it, and never undertake any of these stupid shenanagins shown on TV.

I detest the depiction of Southern culture because it is so stupid and inaccurate. I am glad because only a very small percentage of Southerners like that actually exist. I'm sorry, but I"m not amused by TIckle, or Popcorn, or Jim Tom. They are idiots that run their mouths and never really offer anything of substances. They are textbook examples of chronic alchoholism and the effects on the personality, period. Let's be realistic about it.

Probably the dumbest thing about the whole show is the superimposition of the editing. They are showing a scene with someone picking up some jugs, then suddenly you see an agent walking in the woods as if walking right up to what you've just seen, when in fact they are separate story lines. This is done to create dramatic tension, but it should be totally insulting to the viewer. The superimposition of Popcorn Sutton, as if he is suddenly alive and part of the ongoing discussion, too, is disrespectful to the deceased. They show Popcorn, several times, saying "when I'm going it's all over with." That's strictly folklore, TV myth. Thats why people have elevated these people to cult status, why Moonshiners is one of the most popular shows on cable. Well, take a look around Homedistiller, look at "flute-talk" and tell me it's all over. Far from it. THe things that are happening here are just as sophisticated, or close to it, as what happens in a commercial distillery, a far cry from the hokey setups it shows on TV. What we do is distill. We are distillers, first and foremost. Distilling, while somehow the root of the story, is actually only a minor part of the TV show, it's the stupid stunts associated with it that makes the substance of the show.THe stupidity becomes the substance instead of the other way around. Probably the only way to keep it interesting. Distilling is hard work, at the bottom of it.
1999 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty.
1bottler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 1bottler »

Oh to live in New Zealand
regards
Chris nz, where we don't have to still watching for the feds.~
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

I cant believe anyone would even watch that crap. I cant turn the channel fast enough. If I wanted to watch stupid people I would go the grocery store and watch them LIVE

and... if any of you think you will learn something by watching them I hope you don’t live near me. The roads are dangerous enough already.

Watch the science channel, get into an argument with Rad. Do something that requires cognitive thinking to keep up.
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

I think if the show was about a person sitting in front of a flute for 6 hours every weekend; then measuring proof with a hydrometer and glass test tube; then calculating the amount and toast of oak from a computer based calculator/forum; then putting their jugs in and out of the freezer to "distress age" it faster and finding out later that it doesn't work; then going online to chat with their buddies about why the ferment was stuck; then PH testing and running to the LHBS to get supplies; then mashing and fermenting on the grain for the first time & all the while talking up the pros and cons of using store bought bread yeast...yeah, that show wouldn't do very well during primetime...so we have Moonshiners instead.

Real life is so boring, probably because it doesn't have decent backround music
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Dukes of Hazzerd was more entertaining.
jholmz
Distiller

Post by jholmz »

it is illegal here in illinois you can get a craft distillers license after you go through a couple of federal applications and a couple of state applications post a bond and pay 1800.00 license fee. this allows uyou to distill up to 15,000 gallons a year you are also allowed to distribute to non licensees.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

jholmz wrote:it is illegal here in illinois you can get a craft distillers license after you go through a couple of federal applications and a couple of state applications post a bond and pay 1800.00 license fee. this allows uyou to distill up to 15,000 gallons a year you are also allowed to distribute to non licensees.
I don't get how this has anything to do with home distilling. Going legal and opening a distillery as a business. Yes! But nothing to do with hobby distilling. :wtf:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
jholmz
Distiller

Post by jholmz »

sorry prarie was just saying its illegal unless you want to spend a lot of time and money
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

mash rookie wrote:I cant believe anyone would even watch that crap. I cant turn the channel fast enough. If I wanted to watch stupid people I would go the grocery store and watch them LIVE

and... if any of you think you will learn something by watching them I hope you don’t live near me. The roads are dangerous enough already.

Watch the science channel, get into an argument with Rad. Do something that requires cognitive thinking to keep up.
Amen, I avoid moonshinners and Walmart. When I see responses made by certain individuals on this forum I always read them. Rad is one of those members.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

jholmz wrote:sorry prarie was just saying its illegal unless you want to spend a lot of time and money
Oh ok sory sometimes I'm a little slow. :oops:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Ruddfan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ruddfan »

Thanks durace 11
I kinda was thinking the same thing guess you don't have to worry about any one walking up on your still in your kitchen.
I like the show and I like Jim Tom Lol
from Some of the People I know on the Pennsylvania and West Virgina Borders who used too make shine back in the day they tell me this shows not that far fetched And them old boys have some of the same story's.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

you got county state an feds. any one of em can come after you. some folks are - in - with the county they gonna send the state if they - in - with the state then the feds come. if you haulin all of em gona take your wheels. after all them then the irs comes an that is the state an fed.

as far as that show there was one on there with his face blacked out. listen to his words. all of em. all he done was mix but he was
preachin the gospel couple times ole boys seen it in the hospital an it come to be he got gone.
them others when they kicked the barel over cause the liker wont beadin instead of runin it out an putin it in the next charge
an they into money makein.

as the story goes there a show called lizard lick towin. they was gona do a show on bootlegin an needed a outfit. well they called to the hills lookin an was tole aint no way but was tole of a flatlander. well they called a he loaded up that outfit in a trailer fair as a goats ass an on down the 4 lane he went. he had a flat. an law come by. guess what hapened.

so im tole
hwy419
Novice

Post by hwy419 »

Dan Call wrote:I think those glorious morons on the Discovery channel show have done all serious distillers a favor by making the whole affair look 300 times more stupid
and complicated than it is. On the other hand, they actually reported on the show that someone got busted with moonshine "because the guys on the show
made it look easy." Probably part of the script. The guys on the show make it look like the most hazardous activity on the planet. And they never, ever
talk about the mechanics of distilling.....probably because they can't. As a result, they have to jazz up all the secondary activities like blasting and digging to put a still underground and to dramatize these total morons like Jim Tom who make distillers look like retarded idiots. Okay, fine, you go right ahead and give everyone that idea, that takes the focus off of the people who know what they are doing and quietly do it, enjoy it, and never undertake any of these stupid shenanagins shown on TV.

I detest the depiction of Southern culture because it is so stupid and inaccurate. I am glad because only a very small percentage of Southerners like that actually exist. I'm sorry, but I"m not amused by TIckle, or Popcorn, or Jim Tom. They are idiots that run their mouths and never really offer anything of substances. They are textbook examples of chronic alchoholism and the effects on the personality, period. Let's be realistic about it.

Probably the dumbest thing about the whole show is the superimposition of the editing. They are showing a scene with someone picking up some jugs, then suddenly you see an agent walking in the woods as if walking right up to what you've just seen, when in fact they are separate story lines. This is done to create dramatic tension, but it should be totally insulting to the viewer. The superimposition of Popcorn Sutton, as if he is suddenly alive and part of the ongoing discussion, too, is disrespectful to the deceased. They show Popcorn, several times, saying "when I'm going it's all over with." That's strictly folklore, TV myth. Thats why people have elevated these people to cult status, why Moonshiners is one of the most popular shows on cable. Well, take a look around Homedistiller, look at "flute-talk" and tell me it's all over. Far from it. THe things that are happening here are just as sophisticated, or close to it, as what happens in a commercial distillery, a far cry from the hokey setups it shows on TV. What we do is distill. We are distillers, first and foremost. Distilling, while somehow the root of the story, is actually only a minor part of the TV show, it's the stupid stunts associated with it that makes the substance of the show.THe stupidity becomes the substance instead of the other way around. Probably the only way to keep it interesting. Distilling is hard work, at the bottom of it.
Agreed. Very well said.
“Quality is never an accident;
it is always the result of high intention, sincere
effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution;
it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.”
-William A. Foster
Burks
Novice

Post by Burks »

Chances are a homedistiller with a small amount and small still will get plead down to a misdemeanor. The government, hopefully, won't waste time and taxes to prosecute on a federal/felony level for such a small amount.

Now transporting and selling........big difference there.