Pot still and distilled water

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Pot still and distilled water

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Have any of use used a pot still to distill your own water with any success?

I just happened to think about it while watching the vinegar/water solution run out of my keg during its cleaning run. I have also saw that some people weren't happy with wal-marts distilled water which is about my only option to get it.
noobshine
Swill Maker

Re: Pot still and distilled water

Post by noobshine »

BoisBlancBoy wrote:Have any of use used a pot still to distill your own water with any success?

I just happened to think about it while watching the vinegar/water solution run out of my keg during its cleaning run. I have also saw that some people weren't happy with wal-marts distilled water which is about my only option to get it.

No reason you couldn't. water has a much higher specific heat than alcohol though so it s a lot harder to knock down. not sure you could do it with a leibig. might end up with steam shooting out the end along with a few drips of hot water. and if you use a worm your container of water will get hot in about 2 seconds. have to circulate pretty fast. you want distilled water for mashing or for diluting likker?
This is kind of embarrassing but sometimes I like to smell my own backset
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

It would be for diluting the likker.
carnica
Novice

Post by carnica »

I have a (large) worm in a (large) bucket, a simple pot-still, and have no problem at all to distill water. I do a cleaning run, and then a run to distill water so that I have it ready to dilute my spirit and pour it into the cask immediately after distilling. Tasting the distilled water is also a good way to make sure that the cleaning run has been successful.
"Good living is an act of intelligence, by which we choose things which have an agreeable taste rather than those which do not."
-Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin,
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

Distilling water for diluting seems like a lot of trouble to me...i use my well water or buy a case of good tasting bottled water.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
toast860
Swill Maker

Post by toast860 »

i dont think the time and effort would pay off for makeing ur own water. but it would make it more natural i suppose . in a doing everything ur self way. but i used regular tap water one time just so my buddy could taste it and it was super cloudy in mins
if you cant build a paper airplane, then leave the rocket alone.
its like wiping before you poop, dont make sense.
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

In my area we all have hard water, some much worse than others. Also all have well water.

From what I figure it won't take long at all to get 4-5 gallons made which should last me a long time if I'm just using it for dilution of the final product. I also do think it is a little novelty to have made the water myself along with the spirit. Plus just gives me more time to play with my still.
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

Copper is not the best for making distilled water. Stainless steel is best. I have never tied it but that is what I have read on this forum. From what I hear copper will leave an off taste in the water. You may want to try some and see.
"yeah? yeah? the maple flavored kind?" A dog on you tube.
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

My well water, which tastes great, also makes for a cloudy down-proofed likker. Not pretty when using clear.
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Yeah I will definitely sample it to see if it is going to work out alright. If not, off to the store I go!