Question about Calculating ABV % on Spirit

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

StogieFarts
Novice

Question about Calculating ABV % on Spirit

Post by StogieFarts »

I tried to look up this question under the Parent Site -> Calcs, but couldn't find this exact calculation. Nor do I know if this CAN be calculated, but I thought I'd ask you find folks here.

When I do a typical STRIPPING run, my 9% sugar wash usually begins collecting at 60% ABV.

That ratio seems to be pretty consistent for my pot still. For each 9% sugar wash, it starts collecting at 60% ABV.

Now, if I were to run my 40% low vines through the same still, is there a way to forecast what percentage ABV I will begin collecting at for low vines to spirit?
- StogieFarts
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Question about Calculating ABV % on Spirit

Post by Dnderhead »

StogieFarts
Novice

Post by StogieFarts »

Is it safe to assume that the DIRECT link for the calculation I'm asking about is the one located here:

http://homedistiller.org/calcs/pot_calc

If so, then allow me to ask this follow-up question. I hear that the generic whiskey "hearts" to collect is between 80% and 70%. Now, if I use the calculation on that link above, and I start with a low wine ABV of 40%, that calculation shows me collecting only at 78% for my initial heads.

So does this mean with my still, I would need to do THREE distillations in order to get the ABV up high enough to reach hearts in the 80%-70% range? I hope that makes sense.

In other words, if my 40% starting low wines begins to collect at 78%, then after discarding the foreshots, I am already in the HEADS portion of my distillate but my ABV is already lower than I wanted to collect. At that percentage, my hearts probably wouldn't start until about 65% or so, and I thought that would be too low.

Is this correct?
- StogieFarts
StogieFarts
Novice

Post by StogieFarts »

I found this other calculation which also puts me at around 75% vapor when collecting a 40% low vine spirit run:

http://homedistiller.org/theory/theory/strong" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

So how are people collecting and saving 80-70% for the UJSSM recipe if the spirit run is only starting at 75%? Is this just the limitation of my rudimentary still (only a 3/8" coil worm attached to my boiler)?

And if the initial liquid (HEADS) is coming out at 75%, does this mean the "Hearts" will start at a lower ABV (around 65% or so)? Or should I just rely on taste at this point and keep whatever tastes good?
- StogieFarts
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

You need to simply run the still and see what you get. Cuts should be made by taste and smell. Not generic numbers. You get what you get. If you don't like what you get run it again. But 40% being the highest you should charge the still with. What ever you get from running it is the highest you will get.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
cornsqueezer
Swill Maker

Post by cornsqueezer »

I agree with PP you get what you get. Everyone's still is not exactly the same nor is it run exactly the same [heat applied], so you get what you get.
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

77.5%, guaranteed, or your money back. No, really. Oh wait, you didn't pay for this info, did ya?

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... ilit=chart

This will give you a close approximation of the temp of boiling and the ABV produced by different wash percentages. And as PP said, it is what it is. It all depends on the wash, the power input, and the ambient temp. It gets more complicated using a reflux still, but sounds like you are using a pot still, so no need to muddy the waters.

You say it collects at 60%, but at what temp? Are you adjusting for hotter temps? A spirit coming out at 60% and 90° F will actually be.... 54%. The chart I linked to predicts 52.537895%, but who's counting?

In the end... you get what you get. If it's much over 50%, you will hafta proof it down anyway. Unless you are aiming for some mystical 60~62.5% ABV for oaking, that is.

HTH!!
StogieFarts
Novice

Post by StogieFarts »

Thanks for all the helpful replies. You guys rock! :thumbup:

I have no idea what temp I am extracting it at. I use an electric stove, and the temperature is adjusted by a knob that simply has numbers: 1 through 10.

When I do a STRIPPING RUN, I set it to roughly 7.5 to 8 on the dial, with no adjustment. This takes my 9% wash and begins collecting at 60%. I collect all the way down to 20%, so the average ABV of my stripping run settles out at about 40%.

When I do a Spirit Run, I plan to run the stove at around THREE (3) on the dial. Slow and low. I will let you know how it goes and what percent I collect at.

(NOTE: That's one thing I always forget about: temperature adjustment on ABV readings! I collect in my collection jars and take an immediate ABV reading, but I forget that the distillate is usually warmer coming out of the still, and that actually means the ABV is LOWER than what is registering on the meter.)

Thanks again for the help! :thumbup:
- StogieFarts
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

" I plan to run the stove at around THREE (3) on the dial."
I take this to be a electric stove? dont be surprised if you have problems..
StogieFarts
Novice

Post by StogieFarts »

Dnderhead wrote:" I plan to run the stove at around THREE (3) on the dial."
Yes, it was mentioned in my post above that this was an electric stove.

I realize that it's not entirely accurate to gauge temperature, but it's what I have to work with, so I'm making do until I can dump more money into this hobby and upgrade my still & setup.
- StogieFarts
cornsqueezer
Swill Maker

Post by cornsqueezer »

StogieFarts wrote:
Dnderhead wrote:" I plan to run the stove at around THREE (3) on the dial."
Yes, it was mentioned in my post above that this was an electric stove.

I realize that it's not entirely accurate to gauge temperature, but it's what I have to work with, so I'm making do until I can dump more money into this hobby and upgrade my still & setup.
If you have something like a cast iron pan or a thick metal disc it will absorb and retain heat so you have more even heat might help with the stove cycling on and off a little bit :thumbup:
StogieFarts
Novice

Post by StogieFarts »

cornsqueezer wrote: If you have something like a cast iron pan or a thick metal disc it will absorb and retain heat so you have more even heat might help with the stove cycling on and off a little bit :thumbup:
You know, I never thought of that. Great idea! :thumbup:
- StogieFarts
cornsqueezer
Swill Maker

Post by cornsqueezer »

I've read it on this forum a couple of times, just figured I would pass it on. :thumbup:

It might help till you can get the $ to buy/build a better heat source. :thumbup: