How to solder (beginners guide)

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

fafrd
Bootlegger

Re: Howto solder (beginners guide)

Post by fafrd »

Nightforce wrote:Could someone update the first page with information on how to solder stainless to copper. I had a hell of a time getting the stainless ferrule soldered to the copper pipe.

I read you could use HCl to clean the SS really good, heating the SS first, then to the copper, vise versa, then tried tinning the SS but it just beaded up and ran off; nothing worked. I'm guessing a higher silver content solder is needed to wet the SS. I'm using 95/4.5/0.5 tin/copper/silver solder and tried acid flux and normal flux to no avail. I ended up just un-soldering everything, tinning the copper pipe heavily, then cleaning the ferrule good, spinning it in the lathe with 240 grit sand paper to make some scratches for the solder to bite, then heating up the ferrule until it melted the solder so it would make a tight mechanical bond. It worked as it didn't leak when filling up the column full of water nor during several cycles of water tests but my fear is that the mechanical bond will fail in time due to stress.
I'm only about halfway through the thread but have already read enough to second that suggestion.

Seems as though soldering SS ferrules onto 2" copper pipe is one of the common (and challanging) mixed-metal soldering tasks.

I'm also going to try to solder a 2" SS ferrule to 2" copper pipe and was convinced to try 'tinning' until I ran into this post.

I have:

-Radnor Stay Brite Lead-free 3.4-3.8% Ag / balance Sn solder
-MAPP blowtorch
-Weller 175W soldering iron

I would greatly appreciate any advice as to whether I can join my SS Ferrule to my copper pipe with these tools and what process is likely to be most effective.

If I clean the SS with undiluted Muriatic Acid rather than HCL is tinning of the SS ferrule using the soldering iron likely to be the most effective approach?
Flatlands_Hillbilly
Novice

Re: How to solder (beginners guide)

Post by Flatlands_Hillbilly »

Thanks, Husker. I've always sucked at soldering, but never had anyone teach me. I see where I been screwing up. Good tips, thank you.
“Alcohol may be man’s worst enemy, but the Bible says love your enemy.” - Frank Sinatra
distillingwisdom
Novice

Post by distillingwisdom »

A quick question.I am building a pot distiller.
For a distilling purpose Is it safe to solder brass compression fittings for joints that connects SS boiler to the copper coil or the compression fittings must be of copper?
distillingwisdom
Novice

Post by distillingwisdom »

Here mostly at our welding shops welders use these types of welding rods. Can anyone tell me are they lead free?
https://www.daraz.pk/products/12-25-i42 ... C&search=1
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

I didn't bother reading this whole thread, but wanted to add something I learned. I saw suggestions using yellow ochre paint to stop solder from sticking where you don't want it. I ordered some ochre ,before it arrived I bought some cheap acrylic paint of yellow ochre color. I tried the cheap stuff which worked fine(not as well as the real yellow ochre). I just washed off the paint with a scrub pad. No solder clean ups on aisle 5
Tōtō
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

White out works just as well and is cheap as well as easily available at any office supply store:.
https://www.amazon.com.au/BIC-Wite-Out- ... 2661&psc=1
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

If you use white out make sure you can't breathe in those toxic fumes...
T
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I use White out when Brazing as the run is hard and makes a mess .Unlike lead free soft Solder , braze is very hard to file and or sand off . Usually it stays there and all I end up removing is the copper around it making the runs stick out even more . Whiteout stops braze run in its tracks .

I don’t bother about using it on soft solder as that is a piece if cake to remove . Also I figure , while I’m brushing on more flux when soldering , it will just wipe away the white out anyway .
googe
retired

Post by googe »

If your soft soldering you shouldn't need a barrier. Heat the joint properly so the solder flows into the joint. Take your time, let the joint take the solder, if your solder isn't being sucked up into the joint its not hot enough.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

This guide for brazing
Might help some.
PW2 (1).pdf
(237.12 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Tōtō