Water cooling question-

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

skinpin
Novice

Water cooling question-

Post by skinpin »

I have been running my pot still with cold water cycling as much as my faucet will allow - I was wondering if using a water pump in an ice-chilled basin would have any benefits over what I am currently doing - thanks-
stillin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Water cooling question-

Post by stillin »

I use water straight from the hosepipe, works fine for me. I've read where ice chilled water can cause shock cooling(huffing).
"If your gonna be stupid, you better be tough"--My dad
skinpin
Novice

Post by skinpin »

dealt with shock cooling on airplanes and cars - that's why I asked - I have a machine shop attached to my business and I didn't know if lower condenser temps would produce more/better/etc product - thanks for the answer -
Roundyround
Swill Maker

Post by Roundyround »

most new distillers are surprised how little cool water it takes to condense the vapor. you might try turning down the flow till the water is a bit warm exiting the condenser. if you go to a reservoir system then a higher flow rate is usually needed as the water warms.
I'm going to try a renewable grain based lifestyle. Beer and whiskey count don't they?
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

I use a coil in a bucket/barrel with my potstills.

If the bucket/barrel is equal in size to yer boiler (or larger) no running water is needed. As an added benefit, you end up with a bunch of warm/hot water after yer run to clean up with!
Poseidon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Poseidon »

I use cooling water in drum with ice and can speak to the huffing,. Mostly at the end when I'm near tails I get some huffing but plan on refining my cooling as water here in AUS as electricity prices climb I'd rather conserve both. I'm currently running a short pot still head on a keg with leibeg that requires some decent cooling or lengthening to keep from getting the huffing as the temp rises.
Poseidon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Poseidon »

Just an after note I've since adapted a cooling coil off my leg which is how my grandfather had his in an ice bucket so major cooling happened in the leg so long as sufficient ice was there when you start running into tails as that's typically when temp naturally climbs. This is mostly due to the thermal dynamic properties of the increased fusils temperature or more accurately the contaminates of your alcohol carring with them more heat which requires dissipation. :yawn: but well I had to say it since my brain was milling through the most correct terminology lol....
Cheers :wave:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Poseidon wrote:Just an after note I've since adapted a cooling coil off my leg which is how my grandfather had his in an ice bucket so major cooling happened in the leg so long as sufficient ice was there when you start running into tails as that's typically when temp naturally climbs. This is mostly due to the thermal dynamic properties of the increased fusils temperature or more accurately the contaminates of your alcohol carring with them more heat which requires dissipation. :yawn: but well I had to say it since my brain was milling through the most correct terminology lol....
Cheers :wave:
I'm not sure you have a total grasp of the theories and fundamentals based on that entire post... :eh: The temperature rise is due to the composition of the wash left in the boiler as the alcohol is depleted and water remains, which is why the temperature climbs towards the boiling point of water...

As for the question posted by the OP, the use of ice should be avoided due to the potential of shock cooling induced huffing which can cause total vapor collapse within the boiler... Not saying that it will happen, but it could... Shock cooling can also have an impact on the resulting overall flavor profile...
CuWhistle
Rumrunner

Post by CuWhistle »

I was getting a small amount of huffing in my leibig anyway without ice. This would happen towards the middle of the runs and no amount of water flow adjustment seemed to stop it.

Read somewhere that some loose packed scrubber in the tube helps so I tried it and haven't had a single huff since.
castle
Novice

Post by castle »

Check your temperature...and adjust you might just be cooking to hot for the flow of water your using...it may just surprise you in the taste of the end product as well..