Bakers Yeast

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

New to distilling
Novice

Bakers Yeast

Post by New to distilling »

This is just general yeast used in bread making? I remember the bloke at the brew shop telling me never to use it? Was he having me on?
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Bakers Yeast

Post by Fastill »

New to distilling wrote:This is just general yeast used in bread making? I remember the bloke at the brew shop telling me never to use it? Was he having me on?
It's not the best for beer and wine, (in fact it is terrible for beer and wine) but it works exceptionally well for making alcohol to be distilled. Brew shop guy makes money by selling overpriced yeast. Does he know what you are doing with it??
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
alpine
Novice

Post by alpine »

A lot of the Scotch distilleries claim to use bread yeast. Originally I was using WLP045 and WLP070 but have now switched to whatever Costco carries. I think it's Red Star instant but I'm too lazy to put this cigar down and check the fridge. Can't really say I can taste the difference, but my final gravities with baker's yeast has consistently been a bit higher. I rehydrate with GoFerm K, following their 1g/17ml of 105df water recommendation.

Yeast: Pedigree and Properties
New to distilling
Novice

Yep, I did tell him distilling but your'd be right, just another way to sell his wares, I did use what is our equililant to Red Star here (I guess) in New Zealand here which is Edmonds baking yeast on the Birdwatchers wash and it comes out ok, but still can taste that tomatoe paste coming through. Thanks for your help.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you can taste the tomato, the problem won't be the yeast.

It might make good Bloody Marys :wink:
New to distilling
Novice

Ha ha your right it would, Good to see another Kiwi!
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

If you were selling high priced yeast to the public. And there was a readily available yeast. At less then a quarter the price available elsewhere. What would you tell your customers?

Don't buy my over priced yeast. You can run down to the market and get a yeast a lot cheaper. That will do just as good.

Bakers yeast isn't for everyone. Even many hobby distillers will tell you not to use it.

My suggestions are these.

For any actual fruit ferments. Use a good wine yeast.

For a good all grain mash. Use a good beer yeast.

For rums. Bakers yeast. There are some other good rum yeasts out there. If you want to look for them.

For sugarheads. Bakers yeast.

Keeping bakers yeast as a backup emergency yeast. When using other yeasts. I always have both bakers yeast and EC-1118 on hand. If a ferment stalls or doesn't start. Both of these are good all around hardy yeasts. That have gotten me out of more then a few tight spots.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Prairiepiss wrote:I always have both bakers yeast and EC-1118 on hand. If a ferment stalls or doesn't start. Both of these are good all around hardy yeasts. That have gotten me out of more then a few tight spots.
Ditto!!

tp
TheBackYarder
Novice

Post by TheBackYarder »

when i first went off the turbos and started on the birdwatchers recipe i told the fellas at the brew shop. the bloke told me he has tried it, it was shit and it was not as good as the turbos hahahaha
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Probably related to the fellow my auntie said "wouldn't know the difference between shit and apple butter". :lolno:

tp
New to distilling
Novice

Thanks the different yeasts for fruit etc will come in handy. I do usually use red or white wine yeasts for my fruit but usually leave them as wines. I have about 5 peach trees that I get a lot of peach's off in the summer. I must find a good recepie on this forum to make a run with them or maybe just ferment them with sugar and run that? Any thoughts?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Don't use sugar. It dilutes flavour.
Freezing peaches will help release the juice. Halve them and remove the stones.
Crush them with a nice piece of wood in a solid bottomed container if your feet can't handle treading them.
If you want the OG, wring some through a cloth.
Ferment on the skins, punching the chapeau down once a day for three or four days. Try not to disturb the CO2 cap while doing it.
You will need a wine thief to get samples for SG.
If you don't have a wine press you will have to wring it out by hand, or find a way to distill without burning the pulp. If you have a thumper, put the free run in the pot and the pulp in the thumper.
Collect some peach heartwood to age it on.

Get an Irish Cream recipe and substitute your peach schnapps to make Peaches & Cream.
Venture Rider
Novice

Post by Venture Rider »

Stirred up a DWWB on Saturday with an OG of 1.077 using Fleischmanns Active Bread Yeast. SG today is 1.03 with big burps on the airlock every three seconds. So my DWWG beer is doing quite well. At this rate I should reach 1.00 in the next day or so. I tasted the wort and it has a nice bread flavor.
New to distilling
Novice

Thanks Chris that will come in handy come summer!

Stirred up a DWWB on Saturday with an OG of 1.077 using Fleischmanns Active Bread Yeast. SG today is 1.03 with big burps on the airlock every three seconds. So my DWWG beer is doing quite well. At this rate I should reach 1.00 in the next day or so. I tasted the wort and it has a nice bread flavor.

What is DWWB?
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I would guess it should be DWWG. Death wish wheat germ.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Venture Rider
Novice

Post by Venture Rider »

Fat fingers skinny keyboard :D
New to distilling
Novice

Here's the thing I don't get (getting off the yeast topic a bit sorry) If we are trying to convert starch out of the grains and adding emzimes to extract the sugar, why aren't we just using sugar in the first instance?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

New to distilling wrote:Here's the thing I don't get (getting off the yeast topic a bit sorry) If we are trying to convert starch out of the grains and adding emzimes to extract the sugar, why aren't we just using sugar in the first instance?
You are doing that when you make Birdwatchers and you can do that with corn and grains, see the UJSSM thread. The reasons for converting include better flavour and 'free' sugar.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

New to distilling wrote:Here's the thing I don't get (getting off the yeast topic a bit sorry) If we are trying to convert starch out of the grains and adding emzimes to extract the sugar, why aren't we just using sugar in the first instance?
You have already asked this question in this thread.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=49773

And I will give you the same answer.

Because they aren't the same.

Would you use sugar in place of honey in a recipe? Or plain table sugar in place of brown sugar or molasses?

No! Because they are not the same. Why are they not the same? Many reasons flavor being the biggest reason.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

re; Bakers' yeast; Bakers' yeast varies as much as any other type of yeast. You even get top and bottom fermenting bakers' yeast. A lot of variety, some great, some total shit.
New to distilling
Novice

Cheers