Distilled to much

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

shizam
Novice

Distilled to much

Post by shizam »

I have been at this hobby for about a year now. I don't tend to drink to often. As such, I have run into a small problem, in that I have made more than I can drink. I just filled my 5 gallon barrel to the brim and still have some to spare. I guess I will just put it away for a couple years. Nice problem to have though.

I wan't to keep making it since it's such a fun hobby to have. But I guess I am approaching my limit for a while. This is one problem that I never thought I would run into.
rad14701
retired

Re: Distilled to much

Post by rad14701 »

I doubt I'll ever get to that point... It pisses me off when I procrastinate running the still until we've spent $60 - $100 at the liquor store while I have several boiler charges worth of wash ready to be run... I'm at that point right now... Grrr...!!!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I have friends and kinfolks that I'll loan you.
They'll take care of your problem.
Not even the angels can get their share when these folks are around.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Haven't got there...yet. give so much away. When ya have something close friends and family enjoy so much it's hard not to share!

However, I just stripped 15 gallons last night. 12 gallon boiler so one ten and one five gallon charge. Wasn't gonna do the second til tomorrow as it was late, but figured may as well, then good spirit run tomorrow. Which gives my new ferment of 15 gallons a 2 day start. And I hope to mash in an AG tomorrow. Keeps me outta trouble and outta the missus way.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Just get a bigger barrel to store in!

Problem solved! :D
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
shizam
Novice

Post by shizam »

I don't give to much away since my family doesn't drink that often and I don't tell to many people. I think getting a bigger barrel may be the answer to my problem.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Better long term storage, leads to proper ageing.
Sounds like your on the right path by accident.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

rad14701 wrote:I doubt I'll ever get to that point... It pisses me off when I procrastinate running the still until we've spent $60 - $100 at the liquor store while I have several boiler charges worth of wash ready to be run... I'm at that point right now... Grrr...!!!
:wtf: :wtf: You have just SOOO burst my bubble (hero vision of you ) ! I always envisioned you as that tough guy like me that planned ahead enough to NEVER be short on likker .
PLEASE tell me that you meant to post this over on 'The Liar's Bench' .......................................
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

moosemilk wrote:Haven't got there...yet. give so much away. When ya have something close friends and family enjoy so much it's hard not to share!

However, I just stripped 15 gallons last night. 12 gallon boiler so one ten and one five gallon charge. Wasn't gonna do the second til tomorrow as it was late, but figured may as well, then good spirit run tomorrow. Which gives my new ferment of 15 gallons a 2 day start. And I hope to mash in an AG tomorrow. Keeps me outta trouble and outta the missus way.

Not trying to hijack this thread but when you do a split run like that have you ever stripped the 10 gallons then mix that run with your five gallon charge and do a spirit run on that . It really adds a lot of flavor if you are going to put it on oak.
To the original post. How about instead of getting a larger barrel get a couple of smaller barrels and fill them with a new recipe, always a fun project changing the grain bill and seeing the flavor changes. I figure when I die and they come to clean out my house there is going to be one BIG party. I experiment more than I drink.
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

Stop complaining and get a glass. :)
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
shizam
Novice

Post by shizam »

corene1- Wow, that is actually a really interesting idea.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

shadylane wrote:I have friends and kinfolks that I'll loan you.
They'll take care of your problem.
Not even the angels can get their share when these folks are around.
Laughing my arse off at that Shady, its a bit like that around here. Consumption always seems about equal with production. Never do seem to get ahead.
corene1 wrote: How about instead of getting a larger barrel get a couple of smaller barrels and fill them with a new recipe, always a fun project changing the grain bill and seeing the flavor changes.
Yep thats about the best and smartest idea so far. :thumbup:
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

corene1 wrote: Not trying to hijack this thread but when you do a split run like that have you ever stripped the 10 gallons then mix that run with your five gallon charge and do a spirit run on that . It really adds a lot of flavor if you are going to put it on oak.
Yup. Done a few 1.5 runs. It does turn out very nice. However, this batch is all destined for some fruity goodness (sitting on some cherries, some on strawberry, and some on a blend). Got plenty of UJ on oak and some white already. Also, when I strip run, I take right down to 10% abv. I find going that low I don't have to proof down for spirit run, and I get fantastic flavor even at higher proofs.

To shizam: spoke to my wife about your problem. She says I can help out with consuming it. Ok, she said she will help and I can keep making it too lol
hamshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hamshine »

nice problem to have indeed. too much liquor thats like sayin too big of boobs or too much money or my car is too fast
ETOH.... yes plz
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

hamshine wrote:nice problem to have indeed. too much liquor thats like sayin too big of boobs or too much money or my car is too fast
You probably haven't had to carry around too big of boobs, But I will agree with the rest of the comparison. :)
hamshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hamshine »

corene1 wrote:
hamshine wrote:nice problem to have indeed. too much liquor thats like sayin too big of boobs or too much money or my car is too fast
You probably haven't had to carry around too big of boobs, But I will agree with the rest of the comparison. :)
True i was speaking from a lookers point of view. sub in too much cake
ETOH.... yes plz