Pre-Distilling question

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Keigan
Novice

Pre-Distilling question

Post by Keigan »

Following what I have learned about evaporation/boiling temps of the various alcohols in "Fores" - that most steam vapors < 170 degrees is not good for you....

Is there merit in running the boiler at <170 degrees for a while and then attach the still/column/flute?

What are your thoughts.....

Yes, I read the entire site front to back.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: Pre-Distilling question

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Keigan wrote:Following what I have learned about evaporation/boiling temps of the various alcohols in "Fores" - that most steam vapors < 170 degrees is not good for you....

Is there merit in running the boiler at <170 degrees for a while and then attach the still/column/flute?

What are your thoughts.....

Yes, I read the entire site front to back.
My thoughts are

1) If anyone says they have read the site front to back, they are compensating for something :wtf:

For your benefit, I'm going to go ahead and assume it's lack of enough reading.

2) How much life insurance do you have? Is your SOH covered too? Because if you run your still without a condenser during the output of the highest proof alcohol, Well, you're better off drinking it. KABOOM!

I'll let someone else come along and tell you where to start reading, err, rereading...I am not keen on repeating what you already have read. If you care to ask, I will enlighten.

Oh, and stop quoting temps. Someone might get the wrong idea that you are a newb.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Keigan
Novice

Post by Keigan »

Thanks for the response - sorry about the temperature reference.

Please close and delete this thread. I'll wait to post questions in the Novice Distillers section until I'm more knowledgeable and can provide clear concise questions.

Is there a certification class?
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Covered in great detail on Parent Site ..Start there ..
You're taking a home schooled, self-certification class here at HD ..With the most knowledgeable and experienced information to be had. Anywhere ..And it's all FREE ..
DONATIONS ACCEPTED. :D
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Keigan wrote:Thanks for the response - sorry about the temperature reference.

Please close and delete this thread. I'll wait to post questions in the Novice Distillers section until I'm more knowledgeable and can provide clear concise questions.

Is there a certification class?
No need to apologize about temps, just learn why I said it. From your intro posts, it seems you are keen on trial and error, but that is not one error we are willing to let you make.

I would suggest to not stop asking questions, but search before you do. The HD search is very helpful. We won't delete this thread, because when someone else comes along with the idea to run a still without a condenser, they will be able to read the dangers before doing so.

There is no certification class, but getting smacked for suggesting something dangerous is your first lesson.

Read up on making cuts. Here's a hint

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 63&t=13261

And since you seem willing to learn, here would be the answer to your next question

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 65&t=13294

And

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 65&t=16635.

Good luck, be safe!
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: How much life insurance do you have? Is your SOH covered too? Because if you run your still without a condenser during the output of the highest proof alcohol, Well, you're better off drinking it. KABOOM!
would you leave the gas on and let it fill the room? filling a room with hi proof alcohol is just as irresponsible.

on the temps & alcohol content read these.
Why you can't control a still with boiler temperature
alcohol content calc(the bottom one will help you work out the boil temps of you wash)

hope this helps
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

sounds like you are concerned about methanol, it's a common beginner worry. if there is no methanol in your wash, you cannot distill it out. The still does not manufacture new chemicals, it just separates the ones that are there.
use a tried and true recipe. read about methanol.set your mind at ease so you can concentrate on the important things:

the bigger safety concern in running a still are flammable liquids and explosive vapours. for example: if your still can produce 1 Litre in 20 minutes, without a condensor, the boiling mash would produce the same 1 litre of vapourized ethanol in 20 minutes, which has roughly the equivilent explosive power of about 10 kilos of TNT.

big, badda BOOM.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

HDNB wrote:
the bigger safety concern in running a still are flammable liquids and explosive vapours. for example: if your still can produce 1 Litre in 20 minutes, without a condensor, the boiling mash would produce the same 1 litre of vapourized ethanol in 20 minutes, which has roughly the equivilent explosive power of about 10 kilos of TNT.
whaaaat !!?!?!?? :shock:

are you serious or just over exaggerating ?

if you are not exaggerating , then that is very scary and should be pressed more to the newbs, I wouldnt consider myself a complete newb but that still scares me.

another reason for the highest safety standards and ventilation in your stillin area
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

*not* a demolition expert.
this quote comes from a safety poster that was produced Canada, and hung just outside the coffee room of an aircraft maintenance facility i worked in...many, many years ago.
it said "one gallon of gasoline has the same explosive power as 88 pounds of TNT"
I believe it was produced by the Canadian military, who know lots about blowin' shit up.
since ethanol is similar to gasoline, i am making some broad assumptions, using the (weasel) word "roughly"...(divide by 4... for a litre and 10 kilos)

it's my understanding that a fuel/air bomb is the most powerful weapon in modern warfare (excepting nuclear)... which is exactly what vapourized ethanol is. Don't kid yourself... this is dangerous stuff.

there are some significantly more experienced professionals here at blowin' shit up. I thank them for their service...because a second-hand-info-spewing-chickenshit like me gladly pays my taxes to fund their hard work and dedication!
Apologies if my science is out by a pound or two of TNT, but i doubt it would make any difference after the fireworks show!

now i drink for evil.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

rager wrote:
HDNB wrote:
whaaaat !!?!?!?? :shock:

are you serious or just over exaggerating ?

if you are not exaggerating , then that is very scary and should be pressed more to the newbs, I wouldnt consider myself a complete newb but that still scares me.

another reason for the highest safety standards and ventilation in your stillin area
Actually, HDNB underestimated the hazard. Gasoline has considerably more energy density than TNT. To be even more specific, the average energy density of gasoline is given as 12.7 kWh/kg or 45.7 mega-Joules/kilogram. TNT contains 4.7 megajoules per kilogram or 1.3 kWh/kg.

Subtract 20% for the relative energy density of ethanol and you still have a serious issue when ethanol vapors get loose.

tp
Last edited by T-Pee on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

somewhat chuffed at contributing something useful (for a change) :D

thanks for the numbers T-pee, glad to know they wern't lying to me all those years ago!

now i drink for evil.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

I had to edit my post as gasoline actually has 9x the energy density of TNT. Told ya math wasn't my thing. :oops:

tp
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

They are called foreshots, new distiller reading lounge. Sounds like you need to reread what you've read and forgotten apparently. SAFETY is paramount here, we don't need you blowing shit up and they track your partially incinerated laptop or smart phone back here thinking you're building some home grown terrorist bomb. Keep reading and rereading, posting this may have saved your life and home.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

A mate of mine builds spud guns designed to run on meths.
I gave him a jar of fores, and he says it works great.
Only needs a couple ml to throw a spud 100 metres.

And there are pulse jet engines that will happily run on alcohol.

This stuff really is rocket fuel. Literally!
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...