Draining mash

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

One Sock
Bootlegger

Re: Draining mash

Post by One Sock »

OBX Phantom wrote:HDNB, Mine doesn't spin, I think spinning it is over complicating it.
20150219_221019 (800x450).jpg
Ass press
True, spinning asses is too much! :P
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

OBX Phantom wrote:HDNB, Mine doesn't spin, I think spinning it is over complicating it.
Ass press
shake it Ricky, shake it!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Hound Dog wrote:
Brutal wrote:MC you made the sig line.
So Brutal, did HDNB make the signature line just before MC? Har Har! :lol: Sorry HDNB, I couldn't resist!

HDNB wrote: I did my time in a honey house when i was a teen
There go
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Ass press
Someone posted a booty!
One Sock
Bootlegger

Post by One Sock »

Jeeze, we've all turned into ten year olds, now I have to wait 11 years till I can drink again! :D
cuddy-boozer
Novice

Post by cuddy-boozer »

OBX, I'm betting you ass press to AC/DC music jamming? That would be hysterical. Would make for a good vine vid. :D

In all seriousness, the ass press method was my runner up choice behind the false bottom
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

I remember now... I was about 12 or maybe 13. One of my favorite girls at Sally's Honey Farm was Sally herself. I had been the house boy for many years and had the advantage of a steet education and the mothering of many fine women. Sally was the best, she saw that i had clean clothes, aroof over my head and 3 squares a day. She taught me readin, writin and my numbers. She even knew a little about architecture angles and loads.
In January that year, it was cold and miserable. The business was brisk as many men came and went. I had been keeping up with my cleaning chores and generally keeping out of sight when, on a Saturday morning Gladys called me into her room.
Gladys was on of the new girls, young, maybe 19? She had been suffering from a head cold all week, and i had been bringing her meals in bed, so she could keep her strength up. She was especially fond of the cook's chicken soup. It was a hearty blend withlots of vegetables and the bones were simmered until the meat fell off, a very restorative elixir.
Gladys had a "false bottom" That is, she had special stretchy drawers that when she pulled them on, it plumped up her rear to look round and voluptuous under her dress. I don't know if it was a marketing ploy that Sally had taught her, to catch the attention of the men. Maybe she had actually lost her ass in a tradgic accident, or a poker game. All i know is without it she had none. It was like that poor girl was born with no ass at all.
I digress. I was telling you about that Saturday morning she called me into her room. The chicken soup had worked it's wonders and she was sitting up in bed, rosy cheeked and smiling. She had even done up her hair for the first time that week.
When i entered the rear door (all the rooms had two) she smiled coyly and patted the bed beside her and invited me on. She said "I want to thank you taking care of me all week, H. You come over here, i'm going to show you my specialty. "the ass press". "

and thats how i learned how a honey extractor worked.

now i drink for evil.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

HDNB wrote:I digress.
:clap:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Can you post a pic?
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
cuddy-boozer
Novice

Post by cuddy-boozer »

S-Cackalacky wrote:Can you post a pic?

Hahaha I second that!
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

OBX Phantom wrote:No need to spin it. After it is done draining I just pull the rod out, put the holey bucket into another 6 gal. bucket, which leaves a space between the bottom. Then I put another bucket on top of the grains with a lid on it and sit on it which presses the liquid out and it falls into the bottom bucket.

I explained this at the beginning of this thread but everyone was stuck on the paint bags... :wtf:
OBX, after re-reading, I'll be going with the "ass press". Simple and elegant in its function. Besides, anytime I can get work done by sitting on my ass, I'm on it (er, literally).
OBX Phantom
Trainee

Post by OBX Phantom »

S-Cackalacky wrote:
OBX Phantom wrote::
OBX, after re-reading, I'll be going with the "ass press". Simple and elegant in its function. Besides, anytime I can get work done by sitting on my ass, I'm on it (er, literally).
Glad someone finally see's the beauty, and simplicity of it.

I've also found that if I let it sit and drain over night that I don't even need to use my ass press. :o
If you are not living on the "Edge", then you are taking up too much space!!!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I didn't have any luck sparging corn mash and had to resort to the mop wringer. Thanks for the idea GA
Even letting it set over night didn't work. It takes pressure to push corn mash through holes.
OBX Phantom
Trainee

Post by OBX Phantom »

Shadylane, I ferment on the grain, so the liquid that I am trying to get through the hole is as thin as water so there is no pressure needed to get it through the holes. Also the holes in my bucket are 1/8 inch so the corn doesn't clog them up, the corn and barley hulls only act like a drain bed, much like a false bottom works in a mash tun.

The other thing that I have not mentioned is that after the liquid drains through the 1/8 in. holes in the bucket I pour it through a finer mesh screen in order to remove more of the solids that pass through the 1/8 in. holes. Then I let it clear and rack it into the boiler. Also mostly all I do for my whiskey ferments is corn barley and rye.
If you are not living on the "Edge", then you are taking up too much space!!!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Ass press or mop wringer. Both of them require pressure to force corn mash through holes.
And I've found a easy way to let gravity to pull down on the mop wringers handle, while I'm doing something else.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I am currently ass pressing a corn oats barley and white wheat malt.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Damn, some of the things we confess to on these forums.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

jedneck wrote:I am currently ass pressing a corn oats barley and white wheat malt.
Hey Jed, that's my favorite recipe.

Boom
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

BoomTown wrote:
jedneck wrote:I am currently ass pressing a corn oats barley and white wheat malt.
Hey Jed, that's my favorite recipe.

Boom
Mine to. I wanna try to get my 5 gallon carboy filled with striprun to hopefully fill a three gallon to age for next jedfest if it happens.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

banged the centrefuge together today and did a corn/rye mash to test it out. started with exactly 8 gallons of water and 7Lbs of rye flake/flour and 13 Lbs of coarse cracked corn.

after running it through i had lost 1 gallon of liquid. could have used some sparge water, but i wanted to see how much water it would extract.

i went easy on it, it showed some weaknesses and i didn't want to add blood to the wort.

i'd say it worked aces. one word: locktight. and don't use a dewalt cordless with a brake on it for a motor.

3/16 holes seemed to be the right size, let a little fines through but not much. (and i had rye flour in there)

did 5 Lbs of grain at a time start nice and slow, and takes about 3 minutes to drain the grain. If i had used locktight and let everything set up, could have dried the grain right out. next time i'm using an electric drill.
Attachments
IMG_0243 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0242 - Copy.JPG
Last edited by HDNB on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

now i drink for evil.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

That looks good, but can you give some details on how it's put together?
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

the outermost pail serves as a sanitary holder, so you don't have to set it on the floor.

the outer pail oF the centrefuge has 2x 2" drain holes cut into the bottom, and a block of wood spans the bottom with a centering hole drilled in it. one drain hole on each side, close to the end, as the spinning liquid pushes the wort up to the wood...then down thru the hole.

the inner pail has 3/16 holes drilled in the sides every 1" up,down, left, right in a balanced pattern so it drains evenly. the bottom i also drilled holes in an even pattern, just scratched a few intersecting lines like cutting a pie, and drilled 'em.

the centre shaft is 5/16 ready rod in SS. I used an acorn nut on the bottom, that fits into the centering hole in the block of wood that spans the bottom of the outer pail. the ready rod passes thru the bottom of the sieve pail with SS washer on each side. On the inside of the pail there is a nylock nut to hold the rod securely to the bottom of the pail.

R
O
D
nut
washer
pailpailpailpailpailpailpail
washer
nut (acorn)

i used 2 pieces of 3/16 ready rod in SS for the "X" on top with washers and acorn nuts to secure it. I used some 1/2" aluminium tube to make the spreaders you see, one solid, side to side, the other cut in half and "dimed" out to make it fit snugly against the solid spreader. the 3/16" ready rod passes through the tubes and is secured on the pail with a washer and acorn nut.

I put a nylock nut and a washer on the 5/16 ready rod, and then built the "X" on top of it. once the "X" was installed, I put a top washers and nylock nut on the 5/16 rod and cranked it down, crushing the "X"

it took a bit of finangling to get the "x" ready rods to pass the center shaft inside the tube, but other than that it was easy. took about an hour to build the whole thing, but i have most hand tools known to man. i made that part bold, because it was the only thing that was semi-difficult.

it actually ran perfectly (start slow!!!) but the brake on my dewalt cordless loosed the nuts when i let go of the trigger, and everything slammed to a stop.
The bottom acorn nut spun loose once, as well as the nylock nuts crushing the "X" came loose too.

I would suggest red locktight and jam nuts on both of these locations, due to the forces present under load. use the locktight sparingly and clean it off any exposed area, i'm pretty sure it is poisonous. (i didn't use any for this reason, but it's too much for the threads to hold alone, so i'm going to add some and clean it up nice.) if you can weld SS, a little spot to lock up the treads would do instead.

cut the top of the centre ready rod flat on 3 side so the drill chuck would grab it.

thats it. total cost about 15 bucks, and i sacrificed one of my nice wine store 6 gallon fermenters (outer pail with the 2 x 2" holes.)

tomorrow i plan break out the jigsaw to make a plywood cut out for the outer pail to sit in so i can drop it on top of any pail (or my 200L fermenter :twisted: ) to drain into.

oh yeah, and to find the the "x" mounting spots, i traced the pail on a paper, cut out a circle, folded it in half twice and then set it on the pail to find the exact spots to mount the "X" so it would be balanced. worked awesome.
Last edited by HDNB on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

now i drink for evil.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

You could probably use fingernail polish on the threads. Once it dries it should be safe.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Good job HD! I was wondering if maybe you could simply disengage the drill from the shaft and let it spin down on its own. Put a hex nut at the top end of the shaft and chuck a socket wrench into your drill. Just lift the drill when you're finished - maybe easier said than done.

Anyway, I have too much stuff going on at the moment to do a similar build, so I've decided to go with the "ass press" just for the simplicity of the build. I might revisit the centrifuge at some point in the future. This thread has finally got me well on my way to doing a Booner's AG. I'm in the process of getting some mods done to my paper shredder grain grinder (gredder). After that, it's just a matter of knocking out the "ass press".
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

HDNB wrote:it actually ran perfectly (start slow!!!) but the brake on my dewalt cordless loosed the nuts when i let go of the trigger, and everything slammed to a stop.
The bottom acorn nut spun loose once, as well as the nylock nuts crushing the "X" came loose too.
Looks like a beauty. Did you have any trouble with the stuff coming up out of the top of the bucket when spinning?
I had the same problem of the nuts loosening using a cordless with a brake. Figured jam nuts would take care of it without chemicals.
Instead of the X-brace across the top, I just used a snap on lid, and cut some big holes in it. This contains the slurry that creeps up the sides of the bucket when spinning, and was as easy as drilling a hole in the center of it for the threaded rod. I haven't moved beyond the proto stage, and my test batch of whiskey is still fermenting on grain, but this looks great, thanks for posting.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

if you go too fast too soon, yep it will crawl right out the top. start slow, once it dries out a bit you can speed it up some. I drilled holes 10" up the sides, seemed to be enough.
I thought about just using the lid too, but didn't want to dismantle it to clean.

now i drink for evil.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I'll deffo make an ass press once i move in to AG. :thumbup:

FYI though google "Ass Press" when in work, all sorts of stuff comes up :esurprised: :lolno:
Don't be a dick
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

still using the corntrifuge! after locking up the threads with a little spotweld, she's holding up nicely!

awesome on cracked corn. not so fun if milled too fine.

now i drink for evil.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

I just purchased one of these ... a 12" stainless steel conical strainer. Used it a few hours ago to strain roughly 10 lbs of flaked wheat and it worked great.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
copperlover1
Swill Maker

Post by copperlover1 »

What about a food strainer/sauce maker. They look like a mini dewatering press. Has anyone tried one of them?
Attachments
image.jpeg