Birdwatcher recipe "cuts"

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Franckrem
Novice

Birdwatcher recipe "cuts"

Post by Franckrem »

Hi, I have a reflux still(ccvm) 2.5inch 36inch of packing. It's my second batch of 5gallons of birdwatcher and I find it very difficult to differentiate the head from the heart. The tail is obvious... But to me head and tail is all good stuff... Do you guys have any tricks? Am I wrong?

The way I do my runs is:

Equalize the column for 10min
Colect foreshot at 2drop a second (100mil)
Collect heads, heart and tail at a really small pencil lead drop
Collect the rest without reflux at full power

I collected 100mill of foreshot
2liters of head and heart(in 250ml increment)
And 1liter on tail and the rest

Do you guys have any input?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Birdwatcher recipe "cuts"

Post by still_stirrin »

Franckrem wrote:...It's my second batch of 5gallons of birdwatcher... Do you guys have any tricks?...
Practice, practice, practice.

You've got a smaller boiler for the 5 gallon wash charges. Bigger would help to differentiate the lines better. But bear in mind that the lines are "gray", not "black and white". You've got to learn where your fores to early heads are...where your early heads to late heads are....where your late heads to hearts are...and when you're in the deep hearts. Those take experience to discern...there isn't a "formula" to use.

With only 2 runs behind you, you need more experience. Collecting in small jars (so you get at least 12 jars, preferable more) helps to find the place to keep and what to put into your feints.

Airing them out for 24 hours before making the cuts helps too. I measure the proof of each and label the jar, as well as number it off the still. That way I can line them up and work my way to the cuts. Always start your sampling in the middle of the hearts and work up. Don't start at the top and work down. When you go down from the middle, it's pretty easy to find the onset of the tales. So, I usually work my way up first (before I've sampled too much liquor).

Also, I like to jot down comments and taste and smell perceptions of each. It helps me to learn where the good stuff is.

And be sure to dilute your samples down to 80-90 proof before tasting. It'll help you taste better (too hot will burn out your taste buds).

And there's a real good thread on making cuts that you should read and read until you've memorized it. (there WILL BE a test later...)

And remember, you can't make good cuts when you're running the still. Focus on the operations first, then make your cuts later.

Good luck.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Franckrem
Novice

Post by Franckrem »

I'm only doing one run on reflux for each bath I do. Would it be better to strip 2 batches and then do one reflux run for both?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

You'll get higher %ABV off the still when doing so (strip + spirit), if that's your desire. Also, you'll get a much "fatter" hearts section that way too. So, it's not unwise to do it that way.

When you strip (to the low wines) and then recharge your boiler, make sure you water it down to 80 proof (40 %ABV), or lower before running. This will reduce the rare possibility of a flash originating from the boiler. It also has the effect of purifying the wash and (unfortunately) reducing the flavor carryover, if your goal is a flavored spirit. If, however, you're trying to get to a neutral, that's the best way to approach it....strip to low wines (pot still), then run a spirit in reflux.

Don"t be afraid to experiment a little. But stay within the safety guidelines for running your still. If you've read the new distillers lounge threads you should know what those are.

Always take notes to use as a learning tool. Touch your still head as you're warming up...record your perceptions and the timing (and other details about the run). As you progress, these notes will teach you a lot about the process and your still.

The "birdwatchers" is a great starter wash, with which to focus on various parts of the process, i.e. - fermentation, clarifying, distilling, strip and spirit runs, cuts, aging, flavoring, and the best....enjoying the fruits of your craft.

Cheers.
ss
Andy Capp
Swill Maker

Post by Andy Capp »

Had the same troubles myself when i began distilling. Best advise i read was to taste and smell everything and train your senses. Over time you will learn to taste and smell the differences but only if you know what to look for. Experience is really what gets it done and i don't think there is any substitute. In the meantime, keep collecting in small increments and make conservative cuts as best you can and enjoy learning a very important part of this hobby. :thumbup:
A hangover is when you open your eyes in the morning and wish you hadn't.
Franckrem
Novice

Post by Franckrem »

Hey guys thanks for the nice replys. still_stirrin your trick of begining from the middle was really helpfull. I ad already collected 11 250ml jars on my run and begining the taste from the middle really helped me taste the heads comming in :D.
All in all I kept only the very best of my run and it gave me 1liter of 90%abv. Ill keep the rest for my feints. It seems a little low do. Im probably way to conservative with my cuts.

My still as 36 inch on packing in it 2.5inch large. my abv seem a bit on the low side. Do you guys think im extracting to fast? for now im extracting a 2000w at about 250ml every 20 minutes.

What do you guys think?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Franckrem,
It's a little hard to tell how your still best runs without actually running it. But with a 36" stuffed reflux column, I'd think that you're running pretty close to optimum. You could slow it down a touch and see if that improves your takeoff %ABV. But 180 proof isn't too shabby.

I wonder if when you get to temperature, if you pulled the heat back a bit and let it reflux for a 20-30 minute stabilization period if that would help "thicken" your hearts cut. When I say that, I mean to compress the heads and foreshots more and drive your tails until later in the run. Again, I am guessing here since I can't see the secrets of your still.

So, to maximize the proof off the still, you want the height to diameter ratio to be 18 to 24:1. For a 2.5" ID, that'd be 45 to 60 inches of packed column. You're coming in around 14.4:1 with 36/2.5.

If you're shooting for a high proof neutral, you'd benefit from a little more column height.
ss
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

If you want to collect in a stream instead of drips you should probably do so with low wines rather than wash... With straight low %ABV wash there can be a tendency for smearing... Or slow the collection rate and the %ABV of your spirits should increase...
Franckrem
Novice

Post by Franckrem »

Rad, what you say makes a lot of sens. That's probably what is happening with my run, smearing!
Because all the best stuff was in jar 3 to 6.The first was foreshot(100ml), second was head and after that i had 4 jars of hearts only...The rest(7 to 12) was the tail taste becoming stronger and stronger. So to my little knowledge the heads and fore shot was relatively "compress" compare to the tail. So my next run I will slow down to drips instead of little stream.
What do you think is the best way, more reflux or less power? My instinct is telling me that both will achieve the same goal but what's your take?