Diastatic Power Explained

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Intimnasc
Novice

Diastatic Power Explained

Post by Intimnasc »

I was recently reminded of DP and factoring this in in new recipes. Having been out of brewing for a while it really slipped my mind and so I searched this site and couldn't find anything I decided to find something. Below is a very comprehensive write up and explanation that will help any new distillers that want to start out roughing it with their own recipe. I also remind you there are tried and true recipes in here that work just fine, this is more for those who want to call it their own recipe. If there is a problem with me quoting someone else research feel free to take it down or let me know and Ill delete it myself.

So as not to Plagiarize myself this is a quote from another web site by a fellow named Brad Smith at Beersmith Home Brewing Blog.
http://beersmith.com/blog/2010/01/04/di ... your-beer/

EDIT::::: To put the whole thing in quotes so people wouldn't think this was my work but just a very good article on the subject.
Ben Smith of Brewsmith Blog wrote: Diastatic Power

Diastatic power refers to the enzymatic power of the malt itself – its ability to break down starches into even simpler fermentable sugars during the mashing process. The term “diastatic” refers to “diastase” enzymes. There are two “diastese” enzymes, the first is alpha amylase and the second is beta amylase. These enzymes might be familiar to many of you who have been brewing all grain for a while, as they are the primary enzymes active when you mash your grains in the normal temperature range of 148-158F.

So why should an average homebrewer care? If you don’t have sufficient diastatic enzymes in your mash, you simply will not be able to properly convert sugars during the mash. This will leave you with a partially fermented very sweet beer, with very low alcohol content.

Diastatic Power is measured in degrees lintner (often denoted with a big °L), though in Europe a secondary measure of Windisch-Kolbach units (degrees °WK) is often used. You can convert from one to the other using Lintner=(WK+16)/3.5 or going the other way as WK=3.5*Lintner – 16. A malt needs a diastatic power of approximately 35 °L to be considered “self converting”. Some of the newest American 6-row malts can have a diastatic power as high as 160 °L. (Ref: Wikipedia)

You can get the lintner values for many common malts from the malt supplier’s specification sheet, or from our BeerSmith database. Lets look at sample lintner values for a few commonly used grains:

American 2 Row Pale Malt: 140 °L
American 6 Row Pale Malt: 160 °L
British Pale Malts: 40-70 °L
Maris Otter Pale Malt: 120 °L
Belgian Pale Malt (2 row): 60 °L
German Pilsner Malt: 110 °L
Munich Malt (10 SRM): 70 °L
Munich Malt (20 SRM): 25 °L
Vienna Malt: 50 °L
Wheat Malt, German: 60-90 °L
Wheat, Unmalted (flaked, Torrified): 0 °L
Crystal Malt (all): 0 °L
Chocolate Malt: 0°L
Black Patent Malts: 0 °L
A few things become obvious looking at the above examples. With the possible exception of the very lightest specialty base malts such as Vienna or Munich, few specialty malts provide very much enzymatic power. Almost all of the enzymes needed to convert your mash are contained in your base malt, so the selection of a good base malt is important. Wheat provides diastatic power nearly equal to barley so it can be used in large proportions to make wheat beer.

Diastatic Power for All Grain and Partial Mash Brewers

How does this affect your all grain brewing? Clearly if you are brewing an all grain batch with a high power base malt like American six row, you will have plenty of enzymes available to convert your mash, and it will also convert at a faster pace than it might otherwise. However, if you are using a low power 2-row British malt with a large number of specialty malts, the sugars will still convert but might take substantially longer to do so.

A few specific styles can also cause problems for the all grain brewer. Lets take the example of Belgian Wit, which typically is made from 60% pale malt and 40% unmalted wheat (often flaked or torrified). If you select a Belgian Pale Malt base malt with low diastatic power, you may be in for a very long mash as the unmalted wheat contributes no enzymes to the process. The grains will likely still convert (little of the unmalted wheat will convert in any case) but it may take a long time to reach full conversion.

Diastatic power plays an even more important role for partial mash brewers. Many beginning partial mash brewers tend to take several pounds of specialty malts and try to mash them without a pale base malt. This can cause very poor conversion, as the fermentable portion of the specialty malts lack the enzymes to convert. It is important that you mash with sufficient base malt to provide the enzymes needed in the mashing process.

Estimating Diastatic Power for your Mash

To get a quick idea of whether you have sufficient diastatic power in your all grain or partial mash brew, I recommend you simply average the weighted diastatic power of your ingredients and see whether the final number is greater than the 30 Lintner minimum needed to convert. The overall diastatic power for your mash would be the sum of the diastatic power for each ingredient times its weight divided by the total grain weight. To get this number, just multiply the diastatic power for each grain times the weight of that grain, add the numbers up for all of your grains, and divide by the total grain weight.

Lintner_for_batch = Σ(lintner_for_grain * weight_of_grain) / (total_batch_grain_weight)

Lets look at a quick example: a partial mash using 2 lb of Caramel Malt, 1 pound of chocolate malt, and 1 pound of British Pale malt, with a diastatic power of 50 Lintner. The Caramel and Chocolate malts both have a diastatic power of zero, so they each contribute (0L x 1lbs) and (0L x 2lbs) for a total contribution of zero lintner-pounds. The pale malt is (50L x 1 lb) for a total contribution of 50 L-lbs. Now we add the contributions for all three up (which is 0+0+50) or 50 L-lbs. Now we divide by the total grain weight in the mash which is simply 4 lbs, which leaves an overall average diastatic power of 50/4 or 12.5 Lintner. Since this number is smaller than 30 L needed to convert the overall mash, another few pounds of pale malt or a grain with higher diastatic power might be warranted.

I will note that the above calculation is a rough approximation, as the specialty grains are only partially fermentable and contain many non-convertible starches, but I usually prefer to err on the side of more enzymes rather than end up short in the mash. Also, I don’t like to wait forever for my mash to complete, so I will often shoot for a number higher than the 30 L limit shown above. Note that this calculation is really only needed for mashes with high percentages of specialty malts, as most modern base malts have very high diastatic power.
Last edited by Intimnasc on Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If a Frog had wings
Would he bump his A__
aquavita
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Diastatic Power Explained

Post by aquavita »

For someone new to AG and was never a HomeBrewer - Thanks for the write-up.

Provided some clarity to my limited knowledge.

Aqua
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Excellent post! New to mashing and this explains a LOT in one location for the search database.

Are you cranky in another life?

tp
Intimnasc
Novice

Post by Intimnasc »

T-Pee wrote:
Are you cranky in another life?

tp

My kids and wife might say yes but the rest of the drunks love me.
If a Frog had wings
Would he bump his A__
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Excellent post..! Should maybe be a sticky?
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Not sure about them wheat malt numbers. Wheat malt is very high DP. 180 for red, 188 for white last 2 I bought.

http://www.morebeer.com/images/file.php?file_id=2246" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Yes, Jimbo is right. The wheat is high in DP.

Here's a corrallary read with a table too: http://www.eckraus.com/blog/what-is-dia ... tion-chart" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Intimnasc
Novice

Post by Intimnasc »

I don't think the numbers were meant to be spot on as much as they were meant as example formulas. He even states in there that all your brew grains will have their own number on the package. It is meant to understand DP and not as much for actual grain values.
If a Frog had wings
Would he bump his A__
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Intimnasc wrote:I don't think the numbers were meant to be spot on as much as they were meant as example formulas. He even states in there that all your brew grains will have their own number on the package. It is meant to understand DP and not as much for actual grain values.
It just goes to show you that sometimes even "experts" can be wrong. After all, an expert is simply "a drip under pressure"....
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Intimnasc
Novice

Post by Intimnasc »

Actually upon further examination his data seems to be pretty accurate. Here is a link to unmalted flakek wheat with 0 DP.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/torrified-wheat.html

I am sure if you check the rest for accuracy you'll find they are right. I know the 6 row is also.
If a Frog had wings
Would he bump his A__
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Of course unmalted wheat is 0. Its unmalted. And no the malted wheat number isint accurate. We been through this already.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

The wheat malt is listed as German. For some reason German malts typically have a lower DP. Take rye, for example, German rye malt is usually around 60 while Canadian is usually over 100. It may be due to climate or their malting process. I don't know.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

ok did some research, thanks bigR, yes German Wheat apparetnly is lower, sorry, my bad. German diastatic power is listed in Windisch-Kolbach units . Had to find a conversion equation and it appears Weyerman is 90 Lintner as shown below. American red and white are both over 180. Odd.

For wheat beers where its 50/50 wheat malt and barley malt it wont matter. But for bourbon makers who want to do 80/20 corn and wheat malt, German wheat malt aint gonna cut it. To get 30 DP Average with Weyerman you'll need to use 35% Weyerman wheat malt.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Cool write up :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Intimnasc
Novice

Post by Intimnasc »

Jimbo wrote:ok did some research, thanks bigR, yes German Wheat apparetnly is lower, sorry, my bad. German diastatic power is listed in Windisch-Kolbach units . Had to find a conversion equation and it appears Weyerman is 90 Lintner as shown below. American red and white are both over 180. Odd.

For wheat beers where its 50/50 wheat malt and barley malt it wont matter. But for bourbon makers who want to do 80/20 corn and wheat malt, German wheat malt aint gonna cut it. To get 30 DP Average with Weyerman you'll need to use 35% Weyerman wheat malt.
EH no biggie I just read and looked up a few and I know the 6 row is accurate cause I have used it a lot in beers and plan on using it in my first batch.

I do think the information as a whole would be useful for anybody to reference periodically especially new folks. Maybe we could get something placed with the stickies whether it is this or something else.
If a Frog had wings
Would he bump his A__
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

There's a lot of stuff here on DP already, but I agree this BeerSmith article is a good one
Intimnasc
Novice

Post by Intimnasc »

Jimbo wrote:There's a lot of stuff here on DP already, but I agree this BeerSmith article is a good one

I typed in "Diastatic Power", and "DP" in several searches of the forums and nothing took me to any articles that explained it very well. Now I found a lot of places where it was discussed but nothing this comprehensive or in depth. If you know of one right off I would definitely like to read it.
If a Frog had wings
Would he bump his A__
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Intimnasc wrote:If you know of one right off I would definitely like to read it.
This was a good one I read back in my day. Plus, you get to meet some old timers that really know their business!
Never hurts to make a topic current again, though.
If you haven't tried the HD Google Search tag at the top of the page, try it, it makes a world of difference.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=25821
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
goldfishcf
Novice

Post by goldfishcf »

Though I've read this, its a good refresher. I also had to go to other sites for information like you did.
I malt my own wheat and always wondered what my DP was. But I kept getting different numbers as far as commercial malts. I guess the German/American theory explains it. Thanks for posting.