Noob epiphany....aging

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jersey
Novice

Noob epiphany....aging

Post by Jersey »

I'm about 10 runs into my new hobby. As I'm sure most do, I rushed into tasting (and judging) my creation...needless to say, "I guess it'll do". I took my quarts of Rum (natural coconut flavored, and spiced) covered them with 3 coffee filters and ignored them for about 6 weeks. Pulled them out for friends last night and was blown away at the difference! The coconut batch lost all "isopropyl" bite and is a great balance of coconut and molasses. The spiced (caramel,vanilla bean, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, anise, cardamom, clove) has taken on this great almost "birch beer" taste..huge crowd pleaser!

Next run will go on charred Jack Daniels oak chunks for a month or two.

So, I guess I'm posting this on the novice site to remind my fellow noobs to be patient, and let nature take its course..if you do everything else right, she'll do the rest.

L' Chayim!
Regretting yesterday and worrying about tomorrow make for a very short ride....Carpe Diem!
USMC Cntry Boy
Novice

Re: Noob epiphany....aging

Post by USMC Cntry Boy »

I have 3 gallons thats been aging for a year and I am going to give it till november. 6 weeks is still not very long most will recomend 4 months minimum and some wont touch it till after a year.
You can lead a man to knowledge but you can't make him learn

Manditory reading. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 5&t=52975/
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

The coffee filters are good for the initial airing out but after a day or two you need to seal the container otherwise your alcohol will evaporate. Did you check the final proof on that stuff that sat open for 6 weeks.

I use a carboy with a natural cork stopper and age for as long as I can stand it. Yes, aging makes a world of difference.
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
Jersey
Novice

Post by Jersey »

Still at 40%, but I'll get the cork stoppers on them ASAP.
Thanks
Regretting yesterday and worrying about tomorrow make for a very short ride....Carpe Diem!
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Yeah I leave the filters on for a day, two tops. Then I just leave it sit for a month or two if I can. Usally it gets drunk!!! :thumbup:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
justsomeguy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by justsomeguy »

I just had some stuff from one of my early runs. Cuts werent the greatest (still arent) but it got aged on oak for six months and sat white for six months before that. It was way better than what I am making today. Same recipe, same technique. I make slightly better cuts today but man was that likker good after it sat. I had given some to a good friend and he was the ager. Stuck it on oak before he deployed, and we celebrated his return home with it.
45 ACP..... Turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

justsomeguy wrote:I just had some stuff from one of my early runs. Cuts werent the greatest (still arent) but it got aged on oak for six months and sat white for six months before that. It was way better than what I am making today. Same recipe, same technique. I make slightly better cuts today but man was that likker good after it sat. I had given some to a good friend and he was the ager. Stuck it on oak before he deployed, and we celebrated his return home with it.
That's a great story! Awesome reason for oaking a batch and even a better reason to crack that bottle after a year! :thumbup:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

justsomeguy wrote:....I had given some to a good friend and he was the ager. Stuck it on oak before he deployed, and we celebrated his return home with it...
I'll toast to the service and the safe return too. Thank you. It makes for a grand celebration...a great reason to "pour".
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

+1000
Thank him for his service
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

I will toast too.
If nothing else it is a great way to save a bottle.
I have a nephew deployed right now. I am doing a spirit run on Friday. I am going to put a jar back with his name on it and take a picture and send it to him. Tell him its for his dad and i and HIM to share when he gets back. Yeah his wife can have a snort also...
Great Idea Justsomeguy.. Good bless those young Men and Women who do this for US....
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here