Temperature of product coming off a liebig

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Temperature of product coming off a liebig

Post by piperdave »

I have just recently acquired a system that uses a liebig condenser. Previously I was using a pot with a worm and flake stand. With my initial runs with the new system my output was hot. No vapour escaping but hot. With my worm system this was never the case.

My cooling water was from a faucet so the temp going into the liebig wasn't the issue. I guess I want to know if this is normal?

24 in SS 3/4 over 1/2
If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Temperature of product coming off a liebig

Post by still_stirrin »

How much heat going into your boiler? What is your product collection rate? Is this a Liebig on a pot still, or a reflux head? We need more info on your system.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

24 inches isn't very much length. Warm/hot distillate sure doesn't surprise me. I'd consider you lucky that no vapor is slipping past it also.

Googe started a recent thread on this topic a few days ago, and the parent site has calculators for approximating the required size for a liebig.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i found i like the product better that comes off at 120*F. any hotter than that i get nervous though. i'd be real cautious at approaching 140*

seems to air out nice as it cools in a wide mouth jar. also on electric so no open flames around...i'm on 24" of 2" over 4 x 1/2"...have to really slow the water to raise the temps of output.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

HDNB wrote:i found i like the product better that comes off at 120*F. any hotter than that i get nervous though. i'd be real cautious at approaching 140*
Agreed, the warm distillate allows the heads (residual volatiles) to continue to effervesce off. It helps the initial airing out cycle.
HDNB wrote:...i'm on 24" of 2" over 4 x 1/2"...have to really slow the water to raise the temps of output.
That is a good design...a shotgun product condenser. Your 24" shotgun equates to nearly 7 feet of Liebig (3/4" or 1" over 1/2") with very good efficiency. Not much water is needed to remove the required heat flux. And I bet the coolant water comes out at 120-130F as well...where you want it for maximum efficiency.

The shotgun design is a great way to add conduction surface area without adding length (due to still house physical constraints).
ss
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I wished I had a video as with my shotgun condenser on my CM I throw very little water at it as the water comes out actually still cold with not much more than a trickle. Of course my condenser is long with MR's twisted design with 4 half inch tubes.
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Temperature oday. Appreciate yof product coming off a li

Post by piperdave »

I was doing a strip so I had the 1500 w electric on my 8 gal. pot up to max.....better yet I will post some pics of the setup. At work right now so later today. I appreciate your input to my output dilemma.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Re: Temperature oday. Appreciate yof product coming off a li

Post by still_stirrin »

piperdave wrote:...I was doing a strip so I had the 1500 w electric on my 8 gal. pot up to max...
Slide1.jpg
Something like this might help since your factory condenser can't handle the factory induced heat load.
ss
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

The simple answers are increase coolant flow and turn down the power if necessary.

A small bit of scrubbie or a small wad of gauze lightly placed in the end of the leibig, will slow the flow and keep it in contact with the leibig longer.

Check the temperature of the coolant water at the outflow. Never let it exceed 140F.

Product condensers tend to be the weak link in early rigs.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

still_stirrin wrote:
piperdave wrote:...I was doing a strip so I had the 1500 w electric on my 8 gal. pot up to max...
Slide1.jpg
Something like this might help since your factory condenser can't handle the factory induced heat load.
ss
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

Woops...that is my set up sorta....i can rig a thumper in between. I should a built my own...that looks very interesting Still-stirrin. I agree, i can send too much heat at the condenser. Crap. Guess I go back to stripping with my old rig and then spirit runs with the new rig with the thumper. It seems to be able to take the heat with the thumper
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Running with a thumper will draw some heat, but is no substitute for adequate cooling.. :wink:
+1 Bearriver... Look for Googes thread about Liebig here.. : http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 87&t=56307

Don't rely to much on the calculator on the parent site, it is somewhat overdimentioned.
Anyway...rather a bit more than to little..
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I have a 36"liebig 3/4 over 1/2 and it can handle anything the 5500W element throws at it. I also have a 24" extension for it that I never use. It's similar to the one still_stirrin shows but without the bend. I think that's a pretty good and simple solution and would be pretty cheap and fast to build.
Bull Rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bull Rider »

I keep the distillate temp between 120 and 125, with 130 as a "do not exceed, turn down the heat" event. That's for stripping, for a spirit run I keep the temp under 120, and shoot for 110.
Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid...
BentJar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BentJar »

A1 on the warm distillate. It should come out warm but not hot enough to steam up the collection jar. Then you have a accident waiting to happen.
We try to push the still power up until a little at a time until the product is warm. Its makes a better likker and cleans up in the airing out process better. As stated earlier.
OLD MAN IN THE SHED
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

cranky wrote:I have a 36"liebig 3/4 over 1/2 and it can handle anything the 5500W element throws at it. I also have a 24" extension for it that I never use. It's similar to the one still_stirrin shows but without the bend. I think that's a pretty good and simple solution and would be pretty cheap and fast to build.

Same here, 36" long 3/4 over 1/2". Spiral wire, scrubbing in the vapor path. Handles 5500w with ease
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I have 51" x 1" over 1/2 " . Heat with a 70k btu propane burner . No 2 runs are the same . Just play with heat and coolant flow during the entire run . You have to learn how to drive evey rig you use . The more uou run the better you will get at it .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .