Best recipe for single run on a pot still

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Best recipe for single run on a pot still

Post by bitter »

I ran my Boka in pot mode and started about 80% so this told me there was some reflex occurring. It made a darn nice drink with a single pass. That being said, I was ruthless on the cuts.

B
Brock O
Novice

Post by Brock O »

First timer questions...phuk here goes..

Search and found this thread after reading UJSSM Newbie thread by Stogiefarts.....which I thought was great, haven't read full Monty edition yet but may one day.

Yes I should search this first one as well....using the backset is to help the PH or are we gaining something else, I have an RO unit ...is the PH check on my area water needed ...what is the aim ?

This method is re-using our yeast and good corn, but are most guys running an additional ferment tub or two with the additional cost outlay so as to do the stripping runs and even spirit run in the same day as mention on previous page...or is this then not a sour mash ?

At first..I'm thinking I don't want to spend my whole weekend or two in the shed if I don't have to...don't shoot me again, but the more I read the more I want to do the stripping runs first....Yes I want a good quality product, 3 - 4 liters of finished product will last me 6 months easy.

Running a 50L Keg Pot still..https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 60&t=79819
jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka »

Thats a lot of questions in one hit. I'll do my best to answer although I dont usually run UJSSM.

I believe using backset is a PH thing. although I have also heard mention that you can do just fine not worrying about PH.

Reusing yeast is a cost saving thing. you can find some easy tutorias onyoutube for it. but put simply once you transfer your wash into your still there will be a nice thick layer of scum in the bottom of the fermenter. simply scrape this up, put it in jars and put it in the fridge. there is living yeast in this that will lay dormant when kept cold.

Reusing corn. again just another cost saving thing i believe. the corn will not contain any starches/sugars so will need to be used with sugar but basically its just there for flavour.

lastly spending all weekend in the shed. once you have a bit of a cycle going it wont feel that way.
making your mash will take a day. then you pitch and wait.
Stripping runs will only take a few hrs per run. i do 60lt washes and and 3 x 20lt strips so takes about 6-7 hrs depending on heating time.
spirit run takes about 6 hrs. then your cuts need to rest over night but can rest longer if needed.
blending back together only takes an hour or so.
ageing takes as long as you want it to.

Long story short its definitely not a hobby if your pressed for time. I'm luck enough to get a whole day to myself at least once a week or 2 so its not a problem but anything less than that and I would struggle to get anything done.

there is quicker ways of doing it. make a sugar wash, ferment it, still it, throw some flavour in it. but the more time you can put in the better your results will be. its like a microwave roast dinner to your nans sunday roast.
Sooner or later the people who run the planet all end up choosing one drink....
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Brock O wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:32 pm
This method is re-using our yeast and good corn, but are most guys running an additional ferment tub or two with the additional cost outlay so as to do the stripping runs and even spirit run in the same day as mention on previous page...or is this then not a sour mash ?
I don't know of many that do that. I use a fermenter that holds three stripping runs worth. You need less than a quarter of the backset and 2/3rds of the trub for the next generation, so my next generation is usually put down and bubbling already before the second strip is finished.
At first..I'm thinking I don't want to spend my whole weekend or two in the shed if I don't have to...don't shoot me again, but the more I read the more I want to do the stripping runs first....Yes I want a good quality product, 3 - 4 liters of finished product will last me 6 months easy.
I knuckle down and spend a hard out weekend in the distillery. The last time was two weekends, but that was over three years ago and I still haven't run out, so the youngest UJSSM I have is 3YO. If I run out of that, I have still have leftovers from previous years.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I just found half a demijohn of 2013 UJSSM and proofed a sample. Very nice :D

If you make plenty, often enough, and don't let the seagulls at it, how long it takes before it's ready for drinking eventually becomes irrelevant.

If you only put down a wash when you are running low, you will never get to drink your product at it's prime, so plan on having room and vessels for aging.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

rager wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:52 pm when i first started i worked though the the different ways of running. at this point its , i strip enough for a full boiler charge of low wines. its to simple. even though im running a 5 gallon pot. honestly though it takes about 60lbs ( or so) of grains to get enough low wines to do a spirit run.

this i very much like the 3 page thread in the same novice section.
46 pounds of grains and 23 gallons of water nets me 5 gallons of low wines at 30-35% if I use a mop wringer on the grains. Two 9 gallons tripping runs and a 5 gallon spirit run. Make my cuts tight for white or jar ageing, and I get about 5 quarts for the cupboard.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

You don't have to make only one cut from a spirit run. I very often do a narrow cut for drinking as young white dog and a wider cut for aging. I's a trick I do to keep my mitts off my aging stash. It's why I have more 2013 than 2017 UJSSM in my cellar and why there will still be 2013 aging in my cellar while I'm drinking my next yummy 2020 narrow cut white dog.
Brock O
Novice

Post by Brock O »

Cheers for the reply Gents, I was checking in and seeing no reply so moved on....reading my question again I wasn't sure what sort of reply it would get, especially with regards to spending my weekends doing it.. :roll:

Appreciate the info and different views on it...With the equipment I have I'll be looking to follow the receipt reusing the backset etc with 3 / 4 stripping runs ( 6.5 Gallon Mash each ) over continues weekends before doing a final spirit run.

Still some more reading to do...Still to clean and gear to buy, got another Month away with work so all good.