Copper test cap

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shavedwolf
Novice

Copper test cap

Post by Shavedwolf »

Anyone ever use a copper test cap instead of a normal sweat cap?

This might be a complete noob question, so bare with me. I am wondering if I could get away with using a test cap on my offset head for the collection cap on the bottom. There would be a reflux line and output line drilled into it.

Otherwise I am willing to spend the extra money for the real cap.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Copper test cap

Post by moosemilk »

Simply put, yes you can use a test cap.

But why not build to last. That's my way of thinking.
carbohydratesn
Swill Maker

Post by carbohydratesn »

Test caps *are* built to last, if you take care of them. It's just thinner copper - all it does is support your condenser. My test cap has gotten bent out of shape a few times, but it's easy to seat it back onto the column. Once that's done, it's held in place, flat and level.

Even better than either kind of cap, though, arguably...is no cap! Even with the (required) hole in the top, caps make it hard to hear if your column is about to flood. With a fully open top, you can hear the gurgling early and easily. Condensers don't need much in terms of support! A little something to keep drafts out is a good idea, but past that, caps just get in the way.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

The OP wants to use one for the collection cup, not so much to support the reflux condenser... They might be a bit thin to have two additional holes with tubes soldered in... You could try one but an end cap isn't all that much more expensive and could be cut down shorter if desired...
carbohydratesn
Swill Maker

Post by carbohydratesn »

Oh! Yeah, absolutely, you should not use a test cap for that. I wrongly assumed they were talking about a cap for the condenser. For that application, get a real cap.
Shavedwolf
Novice

Post by Shavedwolf »

Thanks all, ive never seen one besides in a picture. I had a feeling they might be flimsy.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Shavedwolf wrote:Thanks all, ive never seen one besides in a picture. I had a feeling they might be flimsy.
Very flimsy... They are pressed out of extremely thin copper sheet and they flex wasily...
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Personally I think a test cap is just fine. Yes they are thinner but they are test caps designed to hold at least 1 1/2 times regular pressure. So we are talking 90 psi minimum. If your dangly bits aren't constantly moving you are more than fine. If you are worried about durability cut a piece of pipe hammer it flat and solder it on.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
carbohydratesn
Swill Maker

Post by carbohydratesn »

So we are talking 90 psi minimum
90psi is *nothing*, if you're talking about a small area. A test cap will hold liquid just fine, sure. But if you bump into it with anything other than a loaf of bread, you're going to puncture it.

I'd be willing to bet that a fingernail could apply 90psi, very easily.

I have a test cap holding my condenser up. But that's supposed to have holes in it :) Not so with a collection cup.