Hello would help

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

moorebeever
Novice

Hello would help

Post by moorebeever »

Hi there. I got a 50# bag of white dent corn and no mill, nor the funds to get one right now (wife won't let me) haha. I do have a food processor and a blender will either of those work. Any help is good help
scuba stiller
Swill Maker

Re: Hello would help

Post by scuba stiller »

Others have reported most blenders only work for a little while. Seems a few folk had some success with the larger food processers with grinding attachments. I went the Corona Mill and a one-half inch high amp drill. Heard tell there are some mills on e-bay for about $25.
Edited once to complete the last sentence.
Last edited by scuba stiller on Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Here's an idea. Start out in the blender with 2 lbs of corn. After about a pound and a half, smoke should be rolling out of the blender pretty good. The wife will come running wondering if your trying to burn the house down. At this point you should be able to convince her that 30 bucks for a corona mill is a good deal.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

if you would malt the corn first, a blender will handle it pretty good. that's how I grind my corn malt. just my 2 cents, ymmv.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

firewater69 wrote:if you would malt the corn first, a blender will handle it pretty good. that's how I grind my corn malt. just my 2 cents, ymmv.
+1 grinding malted corn is easy compared to unmalted. And it has better flavour in my opinion.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder