Running a small still

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Running a small still

Post by Bigbob »

Hey Brutal! Everything going good here. My runs take about 3-31/2 hours start to finish. This is with a 21/2 gal pot. As I put in this post I don't do strip runs, just a nice slow spirit run. As you have tasted my sweet feed, you know how it is and maybe you could verify that it is pretty good with just a single run. As many are insisting on stripping runs.
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Bushman wrote:If your stove top cycles on and off it's probably not the best set-up.
Replace the simmerstat for that element with a controller and an on/off switch.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Bigbob wrote:Hey Brutal! Everything going good here. My runs take about 3-31/2 hours start to finish. This is with a 21/2 gal pot. As I put in this post I don't do strip runs, just a nice slow spirit run. As you have tasted my sweet feed, you know how it is and maybe you could verify that it is pretty good with just a single run. As many are insisting on stripping runs.
I can vouch for Bob's drop whether Brutal chimes in or not . Top shelf :thumbup:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I ran small scale boilers for several years on a full-size electric stove and was fortunate enough to not have cycling be an issue... Once adjusted beyond Medium High there was no detectable cycling but there was a minor amount closer to Medium... You can always use a steel plate between the element and boiler to smooth out cycling related temperature fluctuations... Several members have even used griddles or cast iron frying pans...
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Truckinbutch wrote:
Bigbob wrote:Hey Brutal! Everything going good here. My runs take about 3-31/2 hours start to finish. This is with a 21/2 gal pot. As I put in this post I don't do strip runs, just a nice slow spirit run. As you have tasted my sweet feed, you know how it is and maybe you could verify that it is pretty good with just a single run. As many are insisting on stripping runs.
I can vouch for Bob's drop whether Brutal chimes in or not . Top shelf :thumbup:
Thanks Butch! It does get frustrating when you know what your doing is working,and everyone is saying that's not right! One more time.... I'm not against stripping runs, I'm just saying that you don't always have to. Especially in a small still.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Mr. Bob I enjoyed your sweet feed, even if I don't remember it vividly. I don't remember about half of that table vividly... the second half. My buddy and I did make it through them all though.

I like single run stuff that I make too. Horses for courses I suppose. I think a lot of people here like the flavors and smells to "hide" a bit more. You ain't gotta make anybody happy but you, and lucky for you (and I) we like the single runs! The smell of a single run ujssm makes my mouth water, especially right at the first slight hint of tails. I don't want to cut that out, I don't want to blend that back in, and I don't want to have to water it down so much. Mission accomplished. Done.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Brutal wrote:I don't want to cut that out, I don't want to blend that back in, and I don't want to have to water it down so much. Mission accomplished. Done.
I don't find I have to water flavored products much at all, most get no dilution for aging. Stripping to below 30% abv low wines usually gives me a carefully considered heart cut very little over 63% after the spirit run, needing no water to be close enough to my preferred barrel strength.

I haven't gotten a calculator out and worked out the efficiencies, but my guess is that single runs must have a large percentage of feints compared to doubles. While it might seem logical that three single runs is more efficient than three stripping runs and a spirit run, the larger volume of feints from singles may mean that the total number of distillations from the same amount of ferments, over time, is not much different, (unless you are pouring feints down the drain).

I have a couple of small stills. I can do small, or large, single runs any time I like. What I want to know is, if there are advantages to doing single runs, what are they?
And, if there are advantages, why don't successful whiskey, brandy and rum distilleries do singles?
city shiner
Bootlegger

Post by city shiner »

I can't speak for anyone else, but a single run on a small still would take less time than a spirit run. For me I have a couple hours once or maybe twice a week to myself. I never, ever, at any time have 5-6 hours where there isn't a child or family member in close proximity. I do not want my kids knowing about this hobby. So if it were possible for me to produce a fifth of so of spirit that is better than the cheap rotgut that I can afford, in one or two short stilling sessions a week, then that would be a benefit.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

city shiner wrote:I can't speak for anyone else, but a single run on a small still would take less time than a spirit run. For me I have a couple hours once or maybe twice a week to myself. I never, ever, at any time have 5-6 hours where there isn't a child or family member in close proximity. I do not want my kids knowing about this hobby. So if it were possible for me to produce a fifth of so of spirit that is better than the cheap rotgut that I can afford, in one or two short stilling sessions a week, then that would be a benefit.
I get that, city shiner. I would do the same myself under those circumstances :D
Lagtastic
Novice

Post by Lagtastic »

I'm pretty curious about all those small stills you guys are talking about...

I have an 8 gallon pot still heated by a 1500w heatband; it's not the best for experimentations with herbs, citrus and other aromate. I would really like to know more about yours. I even tough about laboratory equipment but after further reading, it seems like it's not the best solution.

I was thinking about getting a smaller boiler with a hotplate/heating band that fits and attach my column on it (it's the 2'' one from brewhaus). What do you think about that?

I'd like to run 2-3 L runs of good heart to make aromatised spirits (think Odin recipe with other aromates)

Thanks!
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

I know there's a few here that run small stills for just that purpose. NZ Chris does for sure. I'm talking about using a small still exclusively.
NZChris wrote:
city shiner wrote:I can't speak for anyone else, but a single run on a small still would take less time than a spirit run. For me I have a couple hours once or maybe twice a week to myself. I never, ever, at any time have 5-6 hours where there isn't a child or family member in close proximity. I do not want my kids knowing about this hobby. So if it were possible for me to produce a fifth of so of spirit that is better than the cheap rotgut that I can afford, in one or two short stilling sessions a week, then that would be a benefit.
I get that, city shiner. I would do the same myself under those circumstances :D
And that is exactly why I posted this , to show people what can be done in small spaces. Thank you city shiner.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Thanks Bigbob for this post, I too do only one nice slow run (on my keg) and now I've gotten my pots (5 & 3 gal)
Now all I have to do is get my fittings to make my little set up.
I tried the stripping runs a time or two to only find out that I didn't get what I wanted that I did get from a single run.
Time to do 3-4 stripping runs were 4 hrs plus each and then do a spirit run at 10 plus hours = 1 more quart-in return equals alot of time.
If I get a gal of great tasting likker from one pass why on earth would I want to do multiple runs?

I seen someone mention that why do you think major distilleries do multiple runs and not single...because they can't make it as good as we do. That's why. Lol
city shiner
Bootlegger

Post by city shiner »

You're welcome Bigbob. When I started looking into this hobby I knew it was going to have to be kept on the down low from the kids. I have a couple step-daughters that would love have something to hold over my head. Neither of them live with us now. So I have a little more freedom. When I first started reading, I read everything I could about how Rad ran his little apartment rig. His run times seemed good to me. I definitely like flavors over vodka/neutral. But I'm interested in macerations too. What I've planned on building has changed several times. I started building a while back and I'm planning on being done in March or April, God willing and the cric don't rise. Its been super slow going. But I'm having fun. I'm building a copper cap for a stock pot. Copper tri-clamp flange, inline micro-thumper/ one plate, concentric dual reducer condenser. It will be a hybrid still. One run should give me 1.5 distillation. I LOVE molasses, so sweetfeed is what I'm going to start on. Reading on how you run your still and how Rad ran his little still has given me at least a mental road map of what I'm going to do. I am really glad you posted details on how you run!
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

NZChris wrote:My advice to anybody running such a small still would be to ferment large quantities and to do multiple strips then spirit runs.
First of all, as always I AM A NOOB! :mrgreen:
But I've been reading ad nauseum.
I have a 5 gal copper pot with Lyne Arm and thumper. So I don't know if that's a small still or a "tweener"
As I have posted elsewhere, I've had to take 2 steps forward, 3 steps back for the past months. Hopefully that has changed.
I did a sacrificial wash and a first wash several months ago and it's still sealed and waiting. Both were 3-4 gallons because that's for the size of my pot.
Then I was reading Chris' comments on this or another thread and :idea: it made sense. See if I got this right, and forgive me if I misuse some of the terms.
A "large" wash/mash takes about the same effort as a small one.
Regardless of what you do with it next.
So as I'm about to prepare an all grain mash, I went to Target and got a fairly small footprint Sterilite 20 gallon container to make a 12-15 gallon mash.
I ASSuME I can make repeated spirit runs with feints in the thumper, keeping the heart adding feints back to the still with more mash.
Should end up making 4-5 runs(?)
If I DON"T have time to do the whole thing, ASSuME I can go back and finish the runs with the mash, or if I have finished the "mash runs" I can blend the hearts from the runs together and I'll have feints to store and use on the next run.
So I'm not sure if I have explained myself and I'm sure I've left loose ends.
But I guess in a nutshell, NZChris is saying the size of the still doesn't have to dictate the size of the ferment.
Cheers!
:mrgreen:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Bamaberry wrote:But I guess in a nutshell, NZChris is saying the size of the still doesn't have to dictate the size of the ferment.
It did when I built mine.

My original fermenter will do four ferments worth of still charges. That was the best decision I made when I was setting up and thirty years later that fermenter is still my most used fermenter.
CanadaRun
Novice

Post by CanadaRun »

NZChris wrote:
Bushman wrote:If your stove top cycles on and off it's probably not the best set-up.
Replace the simmerstat for that element with a controller and an on/off switch.
I live in a 1 bdrm apartment so at least for the next half year im stovetop bound. After doing some reading on the issues of cycling the first thing that came to mind was using a copper plate between element and boiler to mitigate temperature fluctuations, seen people use them for propane burners to protect base. Would be a patch fix solution compared to proper temp control but it might work.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

I have not been as active in this hobby lately, and now when I do run something I make 2 ferments.( I use 7gal fermenters)
This gives me twice as much product (duh) but takes 2 weekends of stilling. I still just do 1 spirit run.
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

I'm a veteran of small still running as many know. Even my newer set up only holds 4 gallons of wash at a time. I pull product that's smoother than oak aged bourbon off the thing. I made sure the design was modular so I do a strip in potty mode and a spirit with my little column. I can nail a one and done with that column but I pull more, better if I strip down 20 gal of wash first. A small still can pull some damn good product if the stillman is mindful of his/hers cuts. Little numbered jars help to establish cut points which can then be dispensed with for the most part in later runs. A smaller still means more runs regardless of how you do things but you can out do any commercial distillery if you know your equipment and your ferments.
EDIT:
And as an afterthought, I kinda like having to run more often. I enjoy every phase of the process and the magic of it all never ceases to fascinate me. I ain't running to sell, I run for the pleasure of it and the satisfaction of producing a high quality liquor. That's what it's all about. Right? Here's to your little still and the fine product you get from it.
Last edited by Alchemist75 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Good job Big Bob. I have a 3 gallon from Mile High and have had great success. I am on my 5th. batch of Uncle Jessies and it just keeps getting better. I just do spirit runs and be carefull with the cuts. Smell and taste is the key. I monitor my column temp but every run is a little different so I just use it as a guideline. The machine came with a 2000 watt element and I built a PID controller. I have since settled into my comfort zone with a 1400 watt water heater element and a HarborFreight variable speed router contoller. I switch it to constant until you see some drips and then I switch it to variable at the lowest setting. It steadily climbs to 200+ over the course of 1 1/2 hours or so. Low and slow. It works perfect.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
dewdrs
Novice

Post by dewdrs »

BigBob,

I'm with you. When the distilling bug bit the first thing I saw that made sense to me so I could be up and running was to use a pressure cooker to build a simple still. Built mine out of a Burpee 16 quart pressure cooker and used a simple worm to get started. Since then added a quart size thumper and disgarded after building a modular column to add to my pressure cooker rig. Using flour paste I can reflux with a water management system or run as a pot still. Got 192 the other day on a gallon of spirits.

Started in my kitchen but now I have moved to the garage. I still have to break everything down so like many my storage is limited. Have a 2 gallon, 5 gallon water bottle, 5 gallon bucket and 1 gallon jug I use for fermenting.

Like you I like to run and consume and I like to try different things. Plus the time distilling. I can do a run and be done in a few hours.

Today attempted a spirit run of 3 gallons of All Bran but due to time started my heater on full to get up to temp quick and started out too hot but still pulled a jar at 180 and a jar at 170 before calling it quits.

I can't for the life of me figure out what guys with these large stills descibed in their sig lines do with all that product! I have a hard time drinking what I make!
Howdy Dew Drs here!
Howdy Dew Drs here!
:wink:
Dew Drs - Cheers!
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Oh god, I remember the balloon days lol. That's awesome. I ended up making DIY airlocks for my fermenters. I can only imagine one thing I'd be doing if I ran a rig over 15 gallons. It's distinctly possible that I may eventually build something on the order of 10 gallons but I think that would be my upper limit. As hobby stills go a 10 gal seems like it would be plenty, I'd only have to run a few times a year.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Alchemist75 wrote: I'd only have to run a few times a year.
Ah, but what fun would that be! LOL
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

dewdrs wrote:
I can't for the life of me figure out what guys with these large stills descibed in their sig lines do with all that product! I have a hard time drinking what I make!
Howdy.jpg
Easier cuts - a lot gets tossed, plus try filling a 5 gal barrel with a small setup :)

OVZ
dewdrs
Novice

Post by dewdrs »

Alchemist75 wrote:Oh god, I remember the balloon days lol. That's awesome. I ended up making DIY airlocks for my fermenters. I can only imagine one thing I'd be doing if I ran a rig over 15 gallons. It's distinctly possible that I may eventually build something on the order of 10 gallons but I think that would be my upper limit. As hobby stills go a 10 gal seems like it would be plenty, I'd only have to run a few times a year.
Yup. I have been looking at DIY airlocks so I imagine I will do that too! Working to improve what I have so I can distill a nuetral grain spirit that my wife won't be able to tell from commercial but not sure that is possible! Having fun trying... :thumbup:
Dew Drs - Cheers!
dewdrs
Novice

Post by dewdrs »

Oldvine Zin wrote:
Easier cuts - a lot gets tossed, plus try filling a 5 gal barrel with a small setup :)

OVZ
OVZ, it would be a lot of work with my set up to fill a 5 gallon barrel for sure! Been looking at a 2 liter barrel... :wave:
Dew Drs - Cheers!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Airlock in a 20 litre cubie (square plastic container often available from a bakery or cafe).
Or a water jug like the one in the picture back a bit, but you might have to seal the top and make the hole for the tube in the neck of the jug; a bit trickier.
Get some clear plastic tube.
Drill a hole in the lid of the cube such that the tube is a really tight fit.
You can sit eight of these cubies in a square with a gap in the middle.
Sit an upside down bucket in the gap in the middle.
Put the other end of the tubes in a container of water on the upside down bucket.
Figure out a way to stop the tubes from floating up in the water; if there are several tubes pointing down you can tie them together with string or use a rubber band.

Really high tech.

P.S. After a while the little plastic airlocks you buy become fragile and crumble.

Geoff
The Baker
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

The Baker wrote:Airlock in a 20 litre cubie (square plastic container often available from a bakery or cafe).
Or a water jug like the one in the picture back a bit, but you might have to seal the top and make the hole for the tube in the neck of the jug; a bit trickier.
Get some clear plastic tube.
Drill a hole in the lid of the cube such that the tube is a really tight fit.
You can sit eight of these cubies in a square with a gap in the middle.
Sit an upside down bucket in the gap in the middle.
Put the other end of the tubes in a container of water on the upside down bucket.
Figure out a way to stop the tubes from floating up in the water; if there are several tubes pointing down you can tie them together with string or use a rubber band.

Really high tech.

P.S. After a while the little plastic airlocks you buy become fragile and crumble.

Geoff
or, just don't screw the cap down all the way, works with my 25 l fermenters, but they have bigger lids so more room for the gas to escape, might not be enough on a cube?
Don't be a dick
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

6 Row Joe wrote:
Alchemist75 wrote: I'd only have to run a few times a year.
Ah, but what fun would that be! LOL
Precisely! I enjoy running. I would probably run just as frequently with a larger set up but then I'd have to figure out what to do with all that product. Some would get aged for a couple years but the rest.....throw speak easy parties?
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Oldvine Zin wrote:
dewdrs wrote:
Howdy.jpg

OVZ
I've increased my take away with the introduction of a column, 73% of total low wine volume gets collected as drink. That's a significant improvement over what I was pulling on a pot still which as I recall was more on the order of 45% (I think). Cuts are much tighter as well. Because my column is short I don't sacrifice all flavor so the hearts cut is big and premium flavor. On my 5 gallon boiler I make off pretty good with minimal waste. I highly recommend a mid length column for small stills, you'll do a lot better.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

dewdrs wrote:I can't for the life of me figure out what guys with these large stills descibed in their sig lines do with all that product! I have a hard time drinking what I make!
Age it.

Once you have built up a cellar of stock aged to your tastes, you only have to make enough to replace what you consume. With a large still, this might be once a year. Stilling was illegal when I started, with a heavy fine and confiscation for punishment, so it was better for me to have a largish still that could be dismantled and spread around the property when it wasn't in use. During the illegal years, mine was assembled about three times every two years, each hard out period of four or five distillations producing enough to keep my cellar topped up. Distillations were planned so as not to interfere with family stuff so that the kids didn't miss out when they had free time.

Don't get me wrong, I use small stills a lot, probably more than most of the posters here, but they are gin type stills for adding flavor, not for making the bulk spirit or neutral I need for them. It would be more of a chore than a hobby to make enough of anything for our needs with only a small pot still and single runs to clean up the washes.