Whats best ?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Goose
Novice

Whats best ?

Post by Goose »

currently own a 2" 1500 w LM still and a 3000 w "trash can" type CM still.

trying to figure the best way to use them, starting from a 12% sugar wash (I use birdwatchers).

For last few runs, I have used the CM with the wash and it produces a product around 88% ABV crystal clear. I dilute this back down to 40% with filtered water and the use the LM to give me 95% in the spirit run.

however I was thinking of doing away with the CM and so tried a wash run with the LM, full power and reflux wide open. It produced low wines of around 45% but the distillate was cloudy, which I understand is carryover from the wash. A spirit run using the low wines directly did produce a clear distillate also at 95%. I can't discern the taste between the two methods, but I wonder if better taste buds could... :esad:

The question is am I getting a better quality distillate in the end using CM for the wash run then the LM for the spirit run, versus using the LM still for both.

The amount of time for the wash run using the CM or LM is about the same but of course the 3kw demand from the CM means higher energy and water consumption, but I get cleaner (visually) low wines. My ultimate aim is the cleanest 95% spirit. Maybe what I am asking myself is which method gives the purest remaining 5% in the non ethanol component of the product.

What you reckon ?
The Power of Positive Drinking
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Whats best ?

Post by Swedish Pride »

I've no idea, but my take on it would be.

Both methods give you drink that is identical to you in about the same time, I'd go with the option that cost less.
After all, you don't drink your fist distillate and the second run is identical to you, and you are the only one you have to please right?
Don't be a dick
Goose
Novice

Post by Goose »

yeas I hear you and i know its about the end game, but there is something about the low wines starting point, I just feel better having clear low wines as opposed to cloudy.... see where I am coming from ?
The Power of Positive Drinking
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

yeah I know what you mean
I'm known to drink cloudy whisky if it gets cloudy when I water down :)
Don't be a dick
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Either still is the wrong tool for stripping low wines. Pull the packing out of your higher watt CM, take the reflux condenser section out and rock it as a pot still as fast as your product condenser will keep up. Then use the low wines in your LM for a clean neutral.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.