Proof lowered after design changes

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shine0n
Distiller

Proof lowered after design changes

Post by Shine0n »

My recipe is as follows
25lb sugar
12-14lb sf
15 gal water
1/3 cup bread yeast
I run a 2" pot 15.5 gal/thumper 7.5 gal to worm, NOW I just lengthened my arm to my thump keg and the proof has dropped from 160+ down to 140. I have not changed my recipe since I started it back in January. I have gotten less heads, less high proof hearts and the tails funky tastes comes much later on. IT used to be much higher proof so why just because I added some length (was 15" now is 30") would my proof drop so dramatically? I'm lost as of why! I did get a new burner that my keg sits closer to, I thought it was I heated up to fast on the first run on the new set up so on my 2nd run I heated up much slower and the same thing happened...140 proof!
At 100 proof I'm sure they are into the tails by then but has no wet dog/cardboard smell and tastes just fine right off the still. 90 proof the cloudy stuff sets in just as before all this but very little wet dog smell. WHAT gives?
Before the alteration I would hold 160 for a solid gallon before any drop and now every jar is lower and lower but all smell and taste good.
Anyone have a clue of why this would happen?
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Proof lowered after design changes

Post by nerdybrewer »

Any active cooling on the arm?
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Multiple washes coming out lower proof? Maybe your ferments started to stall for some reason?
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Shine0n wrote: NOW I just lengthened my arm to my thump keg and the proof has dropped from 160+ down to 140. I have not changed my recipe since I started it back in January. I have gotten less heads, less high proof hearts and the tails funky tastes comes much later on. IT used to be much higher proof so why just because I added some length (was 15" now is 30") would my proof drop so dramatically? I'm lost as of why!
Please be more exact. Less heads, less hearts and less tails? So in total much less alcohol????
I do not know much about thumpers, I hope to learn here some things.
But your math must be wrong somewhere, or your description is not precise.

I guess you have a longer heart of less proof. Am I correct?
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

did the angle of the lyne arm change from up to the thump and is now down to the thump?

(passive reflux changing direction?)

try insulating the lyne, the longer one will be sending less heat to the thumper. heat into the boiler is going to change the abv somewhat too.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I have to agree with HDNB . If the change happened after the modification the longer tube would seem to be the likely culprit. I would insulate it as much as possible and see what happens.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

The height has not changed just the horizontal length over to the thump keg.
Now that I have a new burner, the keg sits about 3" closer to the flame, the spread on the burner output is a bit wider as well. I did that so that I wasn't loosing as much heat and wasting propane.
I said in op that I had less high proof hearts. IT starts out at 140, next heart jar is 135ish next is 130.

After my fores I used to have 2 maybe 2.25 quart of heads before I got into the heart, now I have 1 quart and the chemical smell is gone. To me is significantlyless heads.

Kareltje, correct! Total collection is down 3/4 of a gallon.
Even though the proof is not holding steady as it was before, it's dropping every jar now. The the taste is fine, im just lost on why the proof of my distillate is lower now vs then.

I will insulate my keg and lyne arm and thumper since now fall has came in Va.
Thanks
Andy Capp
Swill Maker

Post by Andy Capp »

Keg sitting closer to burner sounds like the culprit. Too much heat would cause smear through your run. That's probably why your getting less of everything.
Try backing off the heat and see how that goes.
A hangover is when you open your eyes in the morning and wish you hadn't.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Andy Capp wrote:Keg sitting closer to burner sounds like the culprit. Too much heat would cause smear through your run. That's probably why your getting less of everything.
Try backing off the heat and see how that goes.
+1.

I thought exactly the same thing. More heat -> smearing over a wider range. Plus, you came online quicker too didn't you?
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

SS, Yeah I'm up to temp alot quicker than before. Not sure if you read in op that on the 2nd run I slowed heat up time quite a bit. That didn't make no significant difference,
I haven't had the feints that I had before so I'm putting a lot less into my pot. I'm as we speak pulling fores and will check abv.
I'm getting less but the quality is there imo. The loss of abv is what's confused me.
Just checked and my fores are 150, I slowed down even more and that has helped to a degree.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Shine0n wrote:was 15" now is 30"
In addition to the higher heat, could the early heads be pooling along the length of this longer arm and smearing further into hearts that way?
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

There a very slight downward slope towards the thump keg so I Don't think anything is pooling. That was intended in the build to make sure all would go towards the thumper. Even the crossover from the riser coming from the thump to the worm has a downward slope (very little)
I think since the new burner heats faster and sits closer that was my problem. I heated up very slow this morning and am running extremely slow at the moment my abv is back up to 160.
I do still plan on insulating my rig for the winter as I run in an uncontrolled environment, pot, lyne arm, thumper.
Thanks all,
Shine0n
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Shine0n wrote:
I haven't had the feints that I had before so I'm putting a lot less into my pot.
ummm...dontcha think this may have something to do with it?
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

This is why I keep reading and staying active on HD! Just simple things such as a new burner, longer lyne arm made me learn how to drive my rig all over again. And thanks to all who gave their opinions to make me check different things to come to a positive conclusion. MUCH appreciated :clap:
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

HDNB wrote:
Shine0n wrote:
I haven't had the feints that I had before so I'm putting a lot less into my pot.
ummm...dontcha think this may have something to do with it?
Possibly so :oops:
I only had 1/2 gal of feints I put in the thumper along with some wash this morning it probably has helped.
I'm sure that the heat input was also to blame.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I have been chewing on the problem. Thought about the cooling in the lyne arm, missed the higher burner.

I thought about a observation I made recently: slowly stilling with a wide condenser and with a narrow condenser made a difference of almost 15 %ABV (74 against 89 %ABV). The wide condenser has no resistance when I blow in it, the narrow needs a force of about 8 cm water to blow.
I concluded that the narrow condenser keeps the vapour longer in the riser, resulting in more reflux.
Maybe that is a point in your longer arm too?

But as I see now you have at least 4 suggestions for the cause. Time to experiment! :mrgreen:
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

The next 1/2 quart will make 2 gallons. 1st gallon ranges from 160 to 155.
2nd gallon is 155 to 150, I'm hoping to get another 1/2 gallon before I run hard and collect down to 30% for my feints.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I just pulled the last pint and now the decline has started. It was 142 proof.
I'll collect another pint or 2 then see if the wet dog smell starts to comes through or not. On the last 2 runs the tails came later than they have been so I'll keep my fingers crossed I get a little bit more :thumbup: