new to thump keg idea, need advice.

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uisce
Novice

new to thump keg idea, need advice.

Post by Uisce »

I know about removing the foreshots, but my question is, if using a thump keg, do I need to double the amount of foreshot to be removed? Thanks in advance.
rad14701
retired

Re: new to thump keg idea, need advice.

Post by rad14701 »

Why would you...??? Foreshots are roughly based on the amount of boiler charge unless you also charge the thumper with wash, essentially increasing the overall charge volume... Your cuts are as big as they need to be, not measured by volume, temperature, or proof...
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

rad14701 wrote:... Your cuts are as big as they need to be, not measured by volume, temperature, or proof...
Let's be honest... are you really cutting fores by taste? No. We all take a certain amount, usually predefined, for fores. I'm not going to recommend newbies taste fores. And not everyone's strength is smell. (I agree, everything else should be done by taste, smell, touch, etc.)

Uisce, my advice is 50ml per gallon of liquid: wash or low wines. This is usually overkill, so make it 100ml per gallon :lol: . Seriously, you know what happens when you take too large a fore cut? You throw away the nastiest most volatile heads. Win win. You're only helping yourself. This is why it doesn't hurt to do a fores cut on both a strip and spirit. It's all shit you don't want to drink anyways, regardless of what you want to label it as.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Uisce
Novice

Post by Uisce »

Thank you again, I was thinking that since proof goes up because of thumper, so the nasties could go up to. I know it sounds stupid, but rather safe than sorry.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Uisce wrote:Thank you again, I was thinking that since proof goes up because of thumper, so the nasties could go up to. I know it sounds stupid, but rather safe than sorry.
Ironically enough, it's the opposite. As proof goes up, it means your concentrating your cuts. You still have the same volume of fores, heads, etc, overall, but your pulling them off in more concentration. Think about it. A pint that you collect at 40%, is the same as 1/2 pint at 80%. This of course is subject to smearing and such and is over simplifying, but you get the point. Also different reflux heads are better than others at different seperations. But your running a pot still, so just stick to the Rough guidelines until you get more comfortable.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:
rad14701 wrote:... Your cuts are as big as they need to be, not measured by volume, temperature, or proof...
Let's be honest... are you really cutting fores by taste? No. We all take a certain amount, usually predefined, for fores. I'm not going to recommend newbies taste fores. And not everyone's strength is smell. (I agree, everything else should be done by taste, smell, touch, etc.)

Uisce, my advice is 50ml per gallon of liquid: wash or low wines. This is usually overkill, so make it 100ml per gallon :lol: . Seriously, you know what happens when you take too large a fore cut? You throw away the nastiest most volatile heads. Win win. You're only helping yourself. This is why it doesn't hurt to do a fores cut on both a strip and spirit. It's all shit you don't want to drink anyways, regardless of what you want to label it as.
100% correct... At the hobby scale it's far better to make larger cuts than needed... I can guarantee that for the size runs I do my first jar is always foreshots and early heads... I collect in perhaps smaller jars than needed but doing so allows me to usually keep my hearts clean and crisp... I say usually because after my last run I failed to pay attention to my collected run data and accidentally blended in one too many jars at the tails end... I went by a quick smell and taste without checking the jars proof and temperature readings which literally screamed tails based on practical experience... I'll be tempering down the last little bit of that mistake this evening... The SOH can't distinguish and difference in her mixed drinks but my palate knows it's got that little bit of tails in it... I'd rather blend less clean hearts than be disappointed by greed or a simple mistake...