Question about reflux

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DVW70
Site Donor
Site Donor

Question about reflux

Post by DVW70 »

So I have a 5 gallon still kit. The column is 1.5" diameter and about 14". I have,packed,it with copper, but after about 250 gallons of sugar wash runs I notice that saturation occurs because I cannot get the gas input low enough to keep the reflux working. I used a steel plate below the still, but really I need a better burner or lower it physically so there is no flame impingment.

With no packing, or with packing my 2nd run nets 85% ABV, cannot do any better.

My question is if I wrap the Outside with 1/4 copper, soldered solid to the outside of the column, would there be sufficient reflux off the walls,of the column to make a difference. Rather then dismantling and rebuilding the column for an internal coil?
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Question about reflux

Post by StillerBoy »

The short answer why only 85% abv is your column is to short.. need at least 24" of packed column to get 90+..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Sounds to me that you have a pot still with packing. What are you using for a reflux condenser?
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

It would help a little, and would pretty easy and harmless to try. Combine a little active reflux with a much longer column and you'll definitely see the improvement. A wider column (so you could run faster) and reflux that isn't all on the walls would help too.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Pictures of your set-up and members can give you better answers.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

As badmotivator says, It can't do any harm. - But as Stillerboy says - 14" column for 5 gallons is just too short.

A photo would help us to see it, but I'd still like to hear 40" ! Maybe a little less, I'm no reflux expert but plenty here are. :)
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

The design goal for a reflux still is L/D = 20/1. So for a 1-1/2" ID, you'd (theoretically) need a 30" tall column (packed section). And remember, speed of vapor production is proportional to the ID of the column, not the height or the capacity of the boiler. All of these design fundamentals are available in the parent site.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Thanks for that ss - I'm picking up a potential new boiler on Monday and have 5 metres of 2" copper, so that seems to equate to around 55" of column o/a :( - Not sure I'm going to have the headroom ! :roll:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Pikey wrote:Thanks for that ss - I'm picking up a potential new boiler on Monday and have 5 metres of 2" copper, so that seems to equate to around 55" of column o/a :( - Not sure I'm going to have the headroom ! :roll:
For a 2" column you'll want between 36" - 42" of packed column section... Less will reduce the purity capability and more will result in diminished improvement of performance... Those numbers are based on years of practical application by a multitude of members... You could always add a column extension down the road if you really feel the need but I highly doubt it would ever be required... Column packing selection would make a greater difference than additional packed section height...
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Thanks rad - It depends how tall the pot is and all that stuff, how much height I can spare. I'd already thought if I cut the column and have a section of 10-12 " or so which I can just slot in, that would allow me to run pot mode and move the kit if I need to for reflux - I'll start a thread in boilers when I get it back and work out size, capacity etc. 8)
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Pikey,

Having a selection of differing length spools is quite handy. You can select the combination of columns to target the desired product proof...longer for cleaner, more neutral products and shorter lengths for more flavor with yet a "higher than potstill" proof. Experience will teach you which combination is best suited for the desired products and processes.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K