Blue distilled alcohol

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cob
Master of Distillation

Re: Blue distilled alcohol

Post by cob »

Slivovitz wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:23 pm This is good information

Today I used TarnX and a cloth to wipe.dowm the inside of the pot and onion head.

I scrubbed with a scrubber sponge also. There is more blue residue but most is gone.

I poured TarnX down the worm which was much needed.
Tarnex MSDS https://clrbrands.com/CLR/media/PDF/TAR ... 900817.pdf

use at your own risk and don't risk others.
be water my friend
Slivovitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Slivovitz »

I scrubbed everything out with a sponge and lots and lots of water after using that product. I also did a vinegar cleaning run of 2 gallons 50% water 50% vinegar.

After that I again Watch thoroughly with water and scrub with a scrubber sponge.

I will try to do a sacraficial run with some cheap vodka diluted to see if it comes out clean or blue.

Suggestions on how to clean appreciated.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Your plan is good, hand scrub, vinegar run, and sacrificial run should be good.
be water my friend
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

According to Wikipedia: Verdigris is the common name for a green pigment obtained through the application of acetic acid to copper plates or the natural patina formed when copper, brass or bronze is weathered and exposed to air or seawater over time.

It could be that the acetic acid in your must and backset is what caused the blue you see.

I've never tried to use vinegar, (acetic acid), to clean off verdigris. I've, also, never left the backset in the still for 24 hours. It kills weeds much better when it's hot, even if you are tired, it's the early hours of the morning and you have to work tomorrow.

Citric acid cleans up verdigris in minutes in my experience.

I don't like putting spirit runs through bright copper, so have always avoided doing that. I've read a few posts by members who have and didn't like the results. Stripping runs usually break in my new copper before the spirit run. If I ever do get caught out, I run some feints and return them to my feints collection.
Slivovitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Slivovitz »

Chris have you ever had a stripping run look like this?

It's not oily from going deep, it started that way.

I'm going to scrub again tonight and run 50% vodka 50%water to see if it comes out blue or not.

If not then I'll do a spirit run on my peach brandy.

I have 10 gallons of plum to run in a few days so I need to get this under control.

I have 45 gallons of plum as posted in "Fruits" that I think will be ready Sunday!
20210912_163846.jpg
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Slivovitz wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:03 pm Chris have you ever had a stripping run look like this?
Yes. I ran them. They were fine.
Slivovitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Slivovitz »

After a lots of cleaning and a sacrificial run I'm going to have a go at a final Spirit Run of this funky blue stuff.

I really hope it clears up because I'll lose all the play ever doing it a third time. I've got about 35 jars for a 4 gallon run. Hoping to do lots of small cuts. Updates to follow soon