Why does my moonshine taste like bread/yeast!

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Csw5078
Novice

Why does my moonshine taste like bread/yeast!

Post by Csw5078 »

Hey everybody, I've been making moonshine with a homemade pot still (made from a stainless milk can) for a couple years now and I wanna improve the quality of my alcohol. I've made Rum, brandy, and vodka but I'm consistently having the same problem, all of my final products have a bad hint of yeast or bread. I can smell it and taste it and it's quite unpleasant. I was able to remove the flavor by aging some in a barrel but all of my raw alcohol has those characters.
It doesn't matter if I made my mash out of corn or watermelons, they all have that bread hint. The only consistent thing I'm doing is using DADY yeast and my homemade still which leads me to believe it's one of those two causing my issue. I do use a rubber seal on my mason jar thumper and my milk can lid but they are supposed to be able to stand high temps. I also make a paste from rye flower and oatmeal to seal any leaks. What is causing this taste? I can't seem to find anyone else with this problem either. I've also tried filtering through charcoal and active carbon but that doesn't help much.
I am addressing the problem of the rubber seals by building a new and improved still out of copper. I also bought a few different strains of yeast to try so hopefully those will solve my problem but can anyone help me out?

Thanks!
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: Why does my moonshine taste like bread/yeast!

Post by HDNB »

how are you doing your cuts?
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Fine thread to avoid . Sounds like a Troll to me . Forgive me if I am wrong .Admin edit. don't think that's for you to decide. If your not gonna contribute why post
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

The only thing that I can think of is that you could be confusing the smell of yeast with the musty smell of tails.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Csw,
I've used DADY on many occasions and never had the bread flavor/smell.
Go with what the experienced guys are saying
There's a great guide for making cuts here.

(I haven't use pastes at all, and am wondering out loud if the rye flour & oatmeal can be contributing --as opposed to just white flour.
Just a thought.)
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Well I use plain flour and flaked oats (porridge) to bind it - but I'd go with Still LIfe here - try just plain flour paste for a couple.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've never used DADY, never used rubber, always had lots of copper in my stills, and never had the yeasty flavor you describe.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

could it possible bee that you do a one and done approach and you got a bit of puke in there?
Don't be a dick
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

You know what is going to be written about a mason jar with rubber seals for a thumper, right..??
So throw that damned thing away asap..!
Now, the problem could also lie within the amount of yeast used. What's your recipe for let's say your sugar wash to make vodka..?
Furthermore, do you rack/siphon your ferment into another container before you strip it..?
You'll get a much cleaner product by ditching the last part with the dead yeast sediment.

Edit: You'll definitely benefit from reading the spoon feed thread (link is in my signature).

I'm left with a strong impression, that you're not ready to run that still yet...please REFRAIN from building with unsafe materials..you're playing Russian roulette with your health. :thumbdown:
Csw5078
Novice

Post by Csw5078 »

Wow thanks for all the feedback! I make my cuts by filling pint mason jars so I can keep a close eye on my what's coming out and I think I'm getting pretty decent at making cuts but I will definitely read more about it. It's definitely not puking, I've made that mistake before and I will never make it again lol. I do siphon my mash and am careful to leave out the sediment. I get most of my recipes from clawhammersupply.com but I don't think it's the recipe because the off flavor and smell whether I'm making a simple sour mash or watermelon brandy. I wish I had someone experienced to come check out my process and tell me what I'm doing wrong because I try to be meticulous as possible.
I am definitely getting rid of the mason jar thumper right away! Am I allowed to share pictures on this site? If I can I would like to show you my new still once it's done.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

yup, just attach the file using the attach file tool just below the reply/submit button on posting page. there are some size limits but if you email a copy to yerself from a smart phone on"medium" size it should post easy. always a good idea to make a copy removing all properties from the image before posting it.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Stop using the mason jar thumper NOW. That is not what is giving you the bread yeasty flavour but it is bloody dangerous. My guess is you are either not letting it settle well and/or are racking it too close to the lees, ya not distilling with the less? Anyway the stale bread flavour is unlikely to hurt ya but an exploding glass thumper of flammable liquid might.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Csw5078 wrote:... Am I allowed to share pictures on this site? If I can I would like to show you my new still once it's done.
Sharing photos is encouraged. Here's another successful method.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Also, as hinted previously....try to "double distill" it. That is, do a stripping run followed by a spirit run. Double distillation will help clean the flavor.

Use the HDGoogle search tool (search using "double distillation" as your search terms) and you'll get many threads to read and learn from.

Good luck. Be safe, responsible, and discrete.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
1RiverRunner
Novice

Post by 1RiverRunner »

Ever figure it out?
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Why..

Are you having the same problems..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
kpex72
Novice

Post by kpex72 »

Possibly scorching and / or bad cuts come to mind first.
1RiverRunner
Novice

Post by 1RiverRunner »

StillerBoy wrote:Why..

Are you having the same problems..

Mars
Not at the moment. I had the same problem with wine. Changed yeast brands and focused on racking. Sometimes a certain flavor gets you and changing brands/type can help.
Coyote
retired

Post by Coyote »

I only use bread yeast.

I have never had this issue.

I use 1/2 of 1 oz. per fermenter MAX. and nearly always
do 3 to 6 generations per .5 oz. of yeast.

Me thinks you are using too much yeast

Coyote
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Desvio »

Coyote wrote:Me thinks you are using too much yeast

Coyote
This used to be my mistake long ago!

Now I measure according to volume/gravity and keep consistent notes, cold crash and rack (twice sometimes if I'm not happy). My goto's are DADY and Brittish Ale yeast depending on what I am making.
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Certainly if you make bread with a really excessive amount of yeast, which has sometimes been done in the hope of the dough being ready very quickly for baking, the result stinks of yeast.

Geoff
The Baker
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Saltbush Bill wrote:The only thing that I can think of is that you could be confusing the smell of yeast with the musty smell of tails.
It’s an old thread but reading the OP , this was my thoughts too .
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

The Baker wrote:Certainly if you make bread with a really excessive amount of yeast, which has sometimes been done in the hope of the dough being ready very quickly for baking, the result stinks of yeast.

Geoff

I've definitely over pitched in the early daze,,,to insure a vigorous kick start.
Finished product was definitely yeasty. Though did work off like a champion.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.