Combine Low Wines from Different Recipes?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CaptMorgan
Bootlegger

Combine Low Wines from Different Recipes?

Post by CaptMorgan »

Has anyone combined low wines from different wash recipes to do a spirit run? I have been searching the forum and have not seen any posts about it. I am thinking about trying it.

How did your final product come out?

I am thinking that with my packed bokakob, the final product should be pretty nuetral if my reflux rate is petty high.
Lord, give me patience, but give it to me NOW!

2" x 38" Bokakob column head, 15 gallon keg boiler
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Combine Low Wines from Different Recipes?

Post by bilgriss »

I haven't.

I've run blended feints from many batches of different product, and had good results, but to be fair the end product was light.

Canadian whiskies typically blend finished products from the source grains, distilled singularly then combined for the final product, with good results.

It makes sense that if you (for example) blend low wines from a corn mash along with some ratio of other grains, you end up with something bourbon-esque. But combining at different stages of the process, mash, low wines, feints, or blended final products, you will in each case get something different.

I recommend you experiment and then report back. Also, I suspect if you use the HD Google Search you'll find others who have asked a similar question, and some results.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

CaptMorgan wrote:Has anyone combined low wines from different wash recipes to do a spirit run?...
Can you say, “rumskey”?
CaptMorgan wrote:How did your final product come out?
Clear, like usual.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

I've done low wines from different recipes just because I needed the volume to fill the still. Ran sugar washes with all grain washes etc. You get what you'd expect, a combination of the two. When I was starting out I made a bunch of "purple passion" which is wine made from grape juice. I ran some as a cleaning run and then ran a couple batches as low wines. The feigns I had were put in a carboy. Time goes by and I made various other things (ujssm and all grain batches) and one day mixed all of the low wines in, not realising until after that one of the carboys was PP. Well...it was really good! It was like maturing whisky in a sherry barrel I guess is the best way to describe it. Never did it again though and don't really have the inclination to do it either, but not because it was bad though.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

run it through reflux and make gin with it
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

still_stirrin wrote:
CaptMorgan wrote:Has anyone combined low wines from different wash recipes to do a spirit run?...
Can you say, “rumskey”?
I prefer "Bourbrum" ;-)
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Yesterday I ran a mixture of low wines, heads and tails of different grains, but I did not dilute it yet.
A lot of people collect feints and run them into a neutral.
But I think that is not what you mean.

In the series Moonshiners (yes, I know the doubts!!) I saw a still made of two boilers: one with appleferment and one with ryeferment. The vapours of both boilers went into one common thumper and from that into one condenser. This resulted in one low wine or one single run shine.
It would be a nice experiment to mix the separate low wines and run them together in a spirit run. And then, of course, compare the results.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

OtisT wrote:
still_stirrin wrote:
Can you say, “rumskey”?
I prefer "Bourbrum" ;-)
:clap:
Good one, Otis.
Sourwood
Novice

Post by Sourwood »

CaptMorgan wrote:Has anyone combined low wines from different wash recipes to do a spirit run? I have been searching the forum and have not seen any posts about it. I am thinking about trying it.

How did your final product come out?

I am thinking that with my packed bokakob, the final product should be pretty nuetral if my reflux rate is petty high.

I'm not really seeing an answer here. I am in the same scenario. If i throw in my UJSSM heads/tails/feints with my Sherry Heads/Tails/Feints with my rum Heads/Tails/Feints, what am i going to end up with. Maybe if i double distill all of the combo i can get a neutral?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Sourwood wrote:...I'm not really seeing an answer here.

If i throw in my UJSSM heads/tails/feints with my Sherry Heads/Tails/Feints with my rum Heads/Tails/Feints, what am i going to end up withl?
Firestarter.

Garbage in ---> garbage out.

But, try it....and YOU tell us what you get.
ss
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Sourwood, you aren't seeing an answer because there isn't one. Do what you want, it's your hobby. If you think you'd like something, make it. If you don't, would it matter if we told you to do it?
IMHO your mix would not interest me to put through a potstill. It might make some sense for a neutral recovery run, or to boost the proof with some fresh neutral. But IME, flavored feints give smaller yields of neutral than a good neutral wash would, and aren't the best use of my time. To me the best use of flavored feints is to find a way to use them in the same flavored drink, either as a boost or as an all feints run, but again expect a smaller heart from all feints runs.
Sourwood
Novice

Post by Sourwood »

still_stirrin wrote: Firestarter.

This got me laughing. Good point, SS. I appreciate it. I'll just be patient and wait until i have enough for a spirit run of each type.
school
Novice

Post by school »

I’m going to revive an old thread here; not sure if it’s considered more annoying to do so or to start a new one around here.

I have done a stripping run on a simple corn whiskey recipe (85% flaked maize, 15% 6-row). I’m wanting to step up to Jimbo’s bourbon recipe next. Would it make sense to take the feints from the corn whiskey spirit run and add them to the first Jimbo run, since they’re fairly close in ingredients? Or just keep the recipe pure and as is? Thanks.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

school wrote:I have done a stripping run on a simple corn whiskey recipe (85% flaked maize, 15% 6-row). I’m wanting to step up to Jimbo’s bourbon recipe next. Would it make sense to take the feints from the corn whiskey spirit run and add them to the first Jimbo run, since they’re fairly close in ingredients? Or just keep the recipe pure and as is? Thanks.
So, you haven’t made Jimbo’s recipe before? I think I’d keep it “by the book” the first time through so you can learn what his T&T is like.

The feints will work anytime, so just stash them and use them on your gumbalhead after the bourbon run. Anyway, that’s what I’d do if I was in your shoes. Of course, you can do as you’d like....it’s your still.
ss
school
Novice

Post by school »

still_stirrin wrote:
school wrote:I have done a stripping run on a simple corn whiskey recipe (85% flaked maize, 15% 6-row). I’m wanting to step up to Jimbo’s bourbon recipe next. Would it make sense to take the feints from the corn whiskey spirit run and add them to the first Jimbo run, since they’re fairly close in ingredients? Or just keep the recipe pure and as is? Thanks.
So, you haven’t made Jimbo’s recipe before? I think I’d keep it “by the book” the first time through so you can learn what his T&T is like.

The feints will work anytime, so just stash them and use them on your gumbalhead after the bourbon run. Anyway, that’s what I’d do if I was in your shoes. Of course, you can do as you’d like....it’s your still.
ss
I think that makes sense and it was kinda my hunch. Good point, if I decide to with the later runs I can add them in slowly so they have less effect maybe. Thank you.